16k service on a Deauville NT700

themutiny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2009
Hi

i wondered if anyone could offer any advice re the above. Basically, the 16k service is due
and my local independents are quoting 6-8 hours labour if they check the valves. So with parts etc, this will be very costly.

Googling the subject brings up lots of different opinions, and lost of price variation. There are however two recurring threads. Firstly that such an under stressed engine doesn't really need checking at 16k and secondly that the quoted time is completely outwith the time needed in reality, quoted mainly because it is a pain on this particular model. I recently paid a considerable sum to have the clearances checked on my Blackbird at 32k, and sure enough they were absolutely fine.

Being very non mechanically minded i wondered if any of the engineering gurus would offer some advice - and if anyone knows a trustworthy motorbike mechanic in the South Hants area, I would be very grateful. My last experience was not good, I was charged genuine honda prices for a couple of rear indicators for the Blackbird. One was clearly from a breakers (but genuine) and the other was obviously a patent part.

Thanks for reading

Nick

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
Firstly, it's a Honda, it'll be fine, use decent oil and it should be OK to wait a while.
Secondly the Deauville is covered in Tupperware, there's probably 2 hours work getting that off and back on again, consider doing it yourself before taking it for a service, saving some cash.
Thirdly, in my experience, the best mechanics are usually found through the owners forums, shouldn't be too difficult to find one.

HTH

D

Deleted member 4366

I have two NTV 650s, which have the same engine and drive as the Deauville. I'd forget dealer servicing now and do it yourself. In 10 years and about 30,000 miles on each, all I've done is change the oil and filter on each every 6000 miles, which requires one spanner and a filter strap wrench (or skewer it with a screwdriver like I do). There isn't really anything else to do! Both mine are about 15 years old and have the original coolant, fork oil and final drive oil, and I've never had to change the brake pads yet.

The only problem I had was that one maintenance-free sealed battery boiled itself dry and had to be replaced. Your dealer service would never find that.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 4366

I forgot to say that I know for a fact how some Honda dealer servicing works. They always change the oil and filter and the spark plugs even though the spark plugs will last 50,000 miles or more these days. Then they check the tyres and brakes to see if they can charge you for new ones, then they listen to the engine, If the engines sounds OK, as they always do, they wheel it back out the front for you to collect. Total time for "servicing" is about 20 minutes. The oil filter is accessible from underneath, so you don't have to take the fairing panels off. I think you have to lift the tank to get at the spark plugs on yours, which takes about 5 minutes.

If I were you, I'd just take it to any mechanic (not Honda) and ask them to do an oil and filter change, which should cost no more than £30 - perhaps £50 including filter and good quality oil. And that's another reason to do it yourself so that you can put decent oil in it.

themutiny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2009
THanks for the feedback guys. You have confirmed my suspicions.

At the 12k service (only about 4 months ago), even though I took it to an independent albeit ex-honda, he changed the plugs, air filter, oil and oil filter. When I checked the handbook this was more than even Honda recommended. He also changed both tyres without asking (and I reckon the front had plenty left in it) and presented me with a bill for over £500.

I switched to another independent, and although the early signs were good, when I asked him to replace the stupid led indicators on the Blackbird for genuine honda ones (the resistors kept blowing) he presented me with a bill for £200 and as stated earlier, fitted breaker/patent parts. He also failed to wire it up correctly so they no longer blink when arming the alarm. I must get that 'mug' tattoo removed from my forehead.

My main concern is that between them, my bikes do over 30k pa, so they do need looking after. Thats why I went for hondas apart from the 400 Burgman. Funnily enough, the supplier of same, whilst relatively expensive in terms of hourly rate, at least plays fair, I have to get that serviced at a min dealer to preserve the 24 months unlimited mileage warranty - I reckon it will be at 35k by the end of two years.

Anyway - thanks again for your input

Cheers

Nick

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
Why would anyone just do work to your vehicle without consulting you first? I never allow anyone to do work beyond that already agreed, then I ask for a quote, then decide if the work actually needs to be done, then shop around, if it's not much cheaper elsewhere then I'll attempt to negotiate a discount, that usually works!

It's rip-off Britain at it's tesco's finest, never believe what a garage/mechanic tells you until you've asked him to explain why work needs to be done in detail, even if you really don't know much about it, then it does give them the impression that you may be clued up and it might kerb any sharp practice.

The garages know that people aren't clued up and 90% of the time the customer will just give a green light for the work to be done, easy money, garages hate people like me because then then have to start justifying the work to a punter that may, or may not, know his onions!

God help PC World if I ever needed to take a computer in for repair, not that I ever would, they would end up paying me just to shut up, be a little awkward and a little cheeky, it gets results.

If it needs to be serviced to preserve warranty then nowadays you are allowed to get a vehicle serviced somewhere other than a dealer as long as genuine parts are used.

Last edited:

themutiny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2009
Why would anyone just do work to your vehicle without consulting you first?
Indeed. Born out of wedlock I guess.

On the subject of main dealer servicing, block exemption was meant to put an end to all that, but if you read the warranty fine print, there are heavy hints that if a warranty claim is made against an item covered by the service schedule, they are likely to reject it. It's not right and it's not fair but as a private individual of limited means it's easier to comply. On the plus side, the main dealer appears to have more scruples than the independents. At least they can make a case for their overheads - the two independents that I've tried so far are just robbers :(

Advertisers