Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
  • Informative
Reactions: Blunderbuss

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Nkon are the cheapest and delivery is abut 4 days if in stock for a reliable genuine source the only other credible source to rely on is Jimmy @BGA.

GA cell is worth considering it is 10a rated but appears that it can handle 11 or 12a and has a little more mah if you are not going to draw very high amps, if you were drawing 7/8 amps continuous 30Q out performs the GA but under this the GA has it.

Price wise both have it over the HG2 or VTC's of Sony/Murata.

Last edited:

Blunderbuss

Pedelecer
Mar 11, 2018
Cambridge
Nkon are the cheapest and delivery is abut 4 days if in stock for a reliable genuine source the only other credible source to rely on is Jimmy @BGA.

GA cell is worth considering it is 10a rated but appears that it can handle 11 or 12a and has a little more mah if you are not going to draw very high amps, if you were drawing 7/8 amps continuous 30Q out performs the GA but under this the GA has it.

Price wise both have it over the HG2 or VTC's of Sony/Murata.
Thanks for that info, I have got a couple of mates who want batteries as well so together we are getting near to 200 mark which brings the price down even further. They will be for a mix of 48v and 36v builds so it might be a flip of a coin between GA and the 30Q. Also given that we are running on old laptop batteries that are all around the 2000MAh rating with a variety of draw rates (not that i am knocking a free supply of batteries!) I am planning is to create 13s5p (65 cells) for my 48v which will deliver the same distance as a 13s7p (91 cells) from the old laptop ones.

A 4 day delivery from stock is impressive and as i await the final "OK" from my mates my finger hovers over the "buy it" button !

rilot

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2017
Wargrave, UK
Another vote for nkon.nl. I bought my 30Qs from there and they were spot on. 4 days from ordering I had them in my hand. They came well packaged too.

Steve Dyson

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2018
Thanks for that info, I have got a couple of mates who want batteries as well so together we are getting near to 200 mark which brings the price down even further. They will be for a mix of 48v and 36v builds so it might be a flip of a coin between GA and the 30Q. Also given that we are running on old laptop batteries that are all around the 2000MAh rating with a variety of draw rates (not that i am knocking a free supply of batteries!) I am planning is to create 13s5p (65 cells) for my 48v which will deliver the same distance as a 13s7p (91 cells) from the old laptop ones.

A 4 day delivery from stock is impressive and as i await the final "OK" from my mates my finger hovers over the "buy it" button !

i use recycled laptop batteries and have mine at 16s5p for my 3000mAh cells to make a 15Ah 48 - 64v battery which i find lasts really well and my controller and motor can handle it

i also have a pack built with 16s10p of 2200mAh cells which i use as my commute pack.

all mine that i use in the packs are only the Samsungs, Panasonic and LG cells any others i get i just use for other projects like my powerwall build

Steve Dyson

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2018
I like the idea of a power wall.

Whilst i am waiting for the cells to arrive from Nkon to do the build for my bike i repaired a battery for my drill and added some capacity to it this afternoon. Just practising:).View attachment 27199

i like that drill and how you did it, i did mine similar but added a cell monitor/alarm that buzzes if a cell goes below 2.9v

I already have 3 solar panels on the roof that generate for the grid so i am tapping in to that and charging powerwall and when its full it diverts to the grid...

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
One thing about Nkon is they are very reliable and prompt with delivery.

Cell V's seem low but that is how they leave the manufacturer for transportation.
All the ones I have had have been at about 3.68 but voltage isn't really too important as long a they are all the same or with 0.01v.

Blunderbuss

Pedelecer
Mar 11, 2018
Cambridge
I have double checked them and they are all 3.44v or 3.43v so that looks good. I am going to run a couple through a discharge cycle to see what values i get just for curiosity. Then its on with the fun part - building.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
30Q Yes ?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes they are.

Just checked the tester and they came up as 3017 and 3085 mah.
Bang on the money.
What loading did you apply and how low soc ?

Blunderbuss

Pedelecer
Mar 11, 2018
Cambridge
Because i did it overnight the tester (YC5000) had charged the batteries back up to full - so did not get see the voltage it went down to. I have looked through the manual to see if it says what it goes down to and there is no mention of this! also i have found is that there is a maximum of charging capacity of 3000mah on this model.

The loading was 250mah (which i have now learnt is done as 50% of the selected charging current)

Blunderbuss

Pedelecer
Mar 11, 2018
Cambridge
i like that drill and how you did it, i did mine similar but added a cell monitor/alarm that buzzes if a cell goes below 2.9v

I already have 3 solar panels on the roof that generate for the grid so i am tapping in to that and charging powerwall and when its full it diverts to the grid...
Just thinking about battery builds - why is it that the 18650 seems to be the only choice? looking at what NKON have the 26650 at same voltage, 6000mah and 20a discharge looks like it would make a great power source. Is it just a size thing, having the larger cells would make it more difficult to make the built packs fit?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Mostly down to a size and pricing, industry has for the most part gone for 18650 for ev use so they are the most populous made cell.
Like any cell you need do your home work, some of the larger cells have bad sag due to high IR or may not have the punch of the small cells.

• Agree
Reactions: Steve Dyson

Steve Dyson

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2018
Just thinking about battery builds - why is it that the 18650 seems to be the only choice? looking at what NKON have the 26650 at same voltage, 6000mah and 20a discharge looks like it would make a great power source. Is it just a size thing, having the larger cells would make it more difficult to make the built packs fit?

i would say the pricing is the issue because the power density to size much out shines the 18650

you can get the same Ah rating in a smaller space but the cost to do so is not worth it in my opinion

I also use Lipo batteries when i can get hold of them at a decent enough price, some of those can have 6000 or 8000 mAh and are are a lot more compact and lightweight

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The 20700 is a much better choice and becoming the future standard in cars (Tesla) because there is a minimal size/weight increase for much better energy density and they fit in existing EV battery boxes. +4000 mAh and 15 Amp discharge for 2 mm extra diameter and 5 mm length + a few grams extra weight.