18650 charger and also case recommends pls

spanos

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2011
Hi all

can anyone recommend a 2 or 4 x 18650 cell charger ? Market is flooded and I’d prefer tried and tested quality on my nice cells ! I’ve bought cheap before and regretted it.

also can anyone locate a 2 x 18650 battery pack /container for running 8.4v dc lights ? I can find millions of 4x and 6x and plenty that are shrink wrapped ready made. I want to use my own cells

any help appreciated as ever

cheers all

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I use one of these. It has a lot of extra functions for testing them, which is useful for building ebike batteries, but probably a bit over specified for charging lights.

I've used the really cheap ones before for my light batteries. One packed up, so I had to get a replacement. I've never been sure about what happens if the batteries are at different voltages, so I always do one at a time.

I think a charger that has two completely independent channels would be better.

Reactions: KirstinS

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

the reason there 4 cell packs is because you need 2 cells to make the 8.4v and the other two are for capacity.

you can charge the cells in the pack but it does not balance the cells very well why i use the above charger.

there is also no short protection so make sure the cells are in the right way.

• Agree
Reactions: trevor brooker

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I have the nitecore charger, it is really good. Does AA's and AAA's into the bargain. Charges each cell seperately so balancing them.

Reactions: KirstinS

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I use one of these. It has a lot of extra functions for testing them, which is useful for building ebike batteries, but probably a bit over specified for charging lights.

I've used the really cheap ones before for my light batteries. One packed up, so I had to get a replacement. I've never been sure about what happens if the batteries are at different voltages, so I always do one at a time.

I think a charger that has two completely independent channels would be better.
The top one looks like the ticket. Thanks

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton

the reason there 4 cell packs is because you need 2 cells to make the 8.4v and the other two are for capacity.

you can charge the cells in the pack but it does not balance the cells very well why i use the above charger.

there is also no short protection so make sure the cells are in the right way.
Thanks SW. Yes I have the same case in 4 and 6 cell versions. I have a handful of 30q cells sitting unused and 3ah of 8.4V is enough for me 90% of the time. Was hoping to find a sleeker 2 cell cze but guess they dont make them

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hi all

can anyone recommend a 2 or 4 x 18650 cell charger ? Market is flooded and I’d prefer tried and tested quality on my nice cells ! I’ve bought cheap before and regretted it.

also can anyone locate a 2 x 18650 battery pack /container for running 8.4v dc lights ? I can find millions of 4x and 6x and plenty that are shrink wrapped ready made. I want to use my own cells

any help appreciated as ever

cheers all
Just a warning. Your lights are more likely to damage the cells than the charger. If your that worried about them, fit a voltmeter.