2 and 4 stroke motor conversion kits

Max Tolerance

Pedelecer
Feb 24, 2022
DON'T SHOOT ME!

A question born of ignorance and not a flame war fuse. I have seen various Bolt On Kits you can buy to motorise regular pedal bikes.
What is the script with these, I mean legality wise. I am not interested in going to the bowels of hell for eternity or the thought police knocking on my door, I am genuinely interested, There is a young chap local to me and he zooms about on a bike so equipped but he does it without annoying anyone and without the (usual) cloud of 2-stroke smoke. So I am interested in finding out.

Chainmale

Pedelecer
May 13, 2020
DON'T SHOOT ME!

A question born of ignorance and not a flame war fuse. I have seen various Bolt On Kits you can buy to motorise regular pedal bikes.
What is the script with these, I mean legality wise. I am not interested in going to the bowels of hell for eternity or the thought police knocking on my door, I am genuinely interested, There is a young chap local to me and he zooms about on a bike so equipped but he does it without annoying anyone and without the (usual) cloud of 2-stroke smoke. So I am interested in finding out.
Not a new idea, there were small capacity "bolt on" engines which were popular for a short time in the early 1950s. Your bike then became a moped and required registration etc.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
We don't discuss them on here as they don't concern us, though do get a mention as often idiots are seen riding them.
Legality wise they have to be type rated and insured as a moped.

Last edited:

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
DON'T SHOOT ME!

They are not electric, so not pedelecs, so not cycles. Probably low enough power to be in the bottom category of mopeds, which require various things including insurance to be legal.

Plas man

Pedelecer
May 12, 2022
I have seen them on eBay and often wondered , you would have to DVLA the bike/motor as it would be classed as a moped , the bike In use would need disc brakes

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
I was tempted to go this route instead of my all mountain shopping machine.
Basically down to my love of very early motorbikes.

1909 Triumph.
Probably got a top speed of 20mph.

Reactions: Max Tolerance

Craiggor 2

Pedelecer
May 30, 2018
If you google motorized bicycle MSVA you will find an article on this one. There was an article a few years ago on getting a Chinese 2 stroke through the MSVA but I can't find that now.

Attachments

Max Tolerance

Pedelecer
Feb 24, 2022
We don't discuss them on here as they don't concern us, though do get a mention as often idiots are seen riding them.
Legality wise they have to be type rated and insured as a moped.
Well we should discuss them as they do indeed concern us, it is often a small minority of people who cause the most grief for the majority, I wouldn't like to think I am grouped together with the irresponsibles but I am afraid Electric bikes are often viewed in the same way electric scooters are and while I really actually like the idea of an electric scooter and I will buy one, when they are legal, it is the thoughtless riders giving them a bad image, same way as "motorised" is immediately grouped into "hooligans".

Reactions: Andy-Mat

Craiggor 2

Pedelecer
May 30, 2018
Well we should discuss them as they do indeed concern us, it is often a small minority of people who cause the most grief for the majority, I wouldn't like to think I am grouped together with the irresponsibles but I am afraid Electric bikes are often viewed in the same way electric scooters are and while I really actually like the idea of an electric scooter and I will buy one, when they are legal, it is the thoughtless riders giving them a bad image, same way as "motorised" is immediately grouped into "hooligans".
Plenty of e-bikes out there that should of gone through an MSVA test to be allowed on the road.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
DON'T SHOOT ME!

If one is fitted to a bicycle the whole machine has to be presented to one of the official testing centres with a fee paid for the test. It will have to meet all the requirements for a 28 mph moped, which are listed in the manual obtainable on this link

In the unlikely event it passes the test, it will have to be registered, taxed, insured, number plated and ridden with the appropriate driving licence, a M/C helmet, and L plates if needed.

Reactions: Bikes4two

Craiggor 2

Pedelecer
May 30, 2018
If one is fitted to a bicycle the whole machine has to be presented to one of the official testing centres with a fee paid for the test. It will have to meet all the requirements for a 28 mph moped, which are listed in the manual obtainable on this link

In the unlikely event it passes the test, it will have to be registered, taxed, insured, number plated and ridden with the appropriate driving licence, a M/C helmet, and L plates if needed.
If you follow the MSVA manual to the letter you will pass first time no unlikely about it. If it does fail the tester will tell you need to fix for the re-test.

Attachments

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If you follow the MSVA manual to the letter you will pass first time no unlikely about it. If it does fail the tester will tell you need to fix for the re-test.
Of course, my comment was on the likelyhood of an average conversion of a bicycle to i.c engine power passing the test.

And that is low.

Craiggor 2

Pedelecer
May 30, 2018
In the last 10 years, I have only seen 1 registered vintage one and 3 unregistered Chinese 2 stroke ones. I see a lot more illegal unregistered e-bikes/e-scooters and loads of pit bikes.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Nice registered vintage cycle motor on eBay. Historic vehicle no tax to pay and MOT exempt.
Early 1950s 49cc Sinclair-Goddard PowerPak, ribbed alloy roller drive onto the tyre and the vibration a real bone shaker. Quite fast until it rained when the roller drive slipped, shredding the tyre tread.

They were the first i.c. cyclemotor company to go broke back then.

Even then electric cyclemotors would have been far better, if only the batteries then had been better.

Craiggor 2

Pedelecer
May 30, 2018
Early 1950s 49cc Sinclair-Goddard PowerPak, ribbed alloy roller drive onto the tyre and the vibration a real bone shaker. Quite fast until it rained when the roller drive slipped, shredding the tyre tread.

They were the first i.c. cyclemotor company to go broke back then.

Even then electric cyclemotors would have been far better, if only the batteries then had been better.
Ditch the Sinclair-Goddard engine and fit one of these kits off eBay. What did you think of the Vincent firefly? I would have one just so I could say I own a Vincent, not cheap though.

Attachments

• Agree
Reactions: guerney and flecc

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Ditch the Sinclair-Goddard engine and fit one of these kits off eBay. What did you think of the Vincent firefly? I would have one just so I could say I own a Vincent, not cheap though.
160 mpg :oops:

Reactions: Craiggor 2