2012 Kalkhoff Agattu C8 Impulse -v- Raleigh Leeds Tour - Lowstep ??

Jeanette Morgan

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2006
CORNWALL
Hi, I'm used to an Ezee Sprint which is both sit on and ride and pedalec. I'm thinking of changing my bike for various reasons. I understand you can no longer get "sit on and ride" but that the pedelecs are improved on those of the early 2000's.

I'm interested in the above two bikes and wonder which of the two is the better choice, bearing in mind I have lots of hills here in Cornwall, I want something with very low maintenance, and good reliable battery/distance.

Any thoughts would be helpful to me. The one plus with the Raleigh is that my local bike shop is an agent for Raleigh and hence would be useful as they would obviously be there for any problems/maintenance.

Many thanks Jeanette

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hello Jeanette, good to hear from you again. Those two bikes are very similar, both Derby Cycles gmbh products, and at one time the specs were identical. I'd advise you try one first though, both will be similar to ride but will be very different from the eZee Sprint in the way they work. You may find you either love or hate the difference, so it's important to try first.

The quality of both is excellent and reliability is good, so no concerns on those accounts.

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
Any thoughts would be helpful to me.
Thoughts.....yes, Jeanette. I don't think you'd go wrong with either of those bikes you mention but I'd certainly go out of my way to test ride them, along with one or two others, perhaps a little cheaper to give comparison.

Personally, I think Kalkhoff have covered pretty well all bases with their current range and the Agattu model alone seems to come in a wide variety of flavours now, depending on how much one is prepared to pay. For the life of me, I can't seem to recall anyone on this forum condemning the Agattu and I have opined previously that I think it's all the ebike that most people would ever need. It's not the lightest but neither is an Ezee Sprint.

At the price point those models come in at, you have a huge selection of ebikes to consider.

Best of luck,
Indalo

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
The Leeds is an established model the impulse new. Raleigh have impulse models as well?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1-E_hHata0

The impulse has had mixed reviews over of German pedelec forum. you can view in English using goggle translator. You will need to look under Derby cycles forum which covers Kalkhoff, Raleigh etc.....

Can I suggest before you spend your hard earned you try a Bosch powered bike as a comparison

Last edited:

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Hi Jeanette,

When I was looking I loved both the Dover and the Leeds, so try them first, but good advice to stick with your local bike shop for all the obvious reasons, if deciding between those models or a Kalkoff, as they are virtually the same bike.
The reasons I didnt go for them were the wheels were too big for my bike rack and deciding I still wanted a throttle.......but they were lovely bikes to ride.

You could, however, try the Tonaro Esprit as well as this would give you the throttle option as well as the crank motor.
Worth trying all possibilities before buying, I certainly have been pleased with the hill climbing ability of my Esprit.....especially in the price bracket its in, and after sales service is excellent if needed.

Good luck anyway,

Lynda :)

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
Can I suggest before you spend your hard earned you try a Bosch powered bike as a comparison
At this point in time Eddie, that's a very valid point. They're few and far between in the UK still and it's perhaps pushing the boat out a little in terms of price but those who have splashed the cash for one of the Bosch-powered bikes seem to have nothing but praise for them.

Certainly, anyone looking to spend getting towards £2000 on a good quality pedelec really ought not to discount the Bosch-system bikes without trying one. In Jeanette's situation geographically, I'm not aware that there are many ebike dealers local to her so it matters little which make she chooses should she need dealer support. A solid warranty from a well-respected supplier of ebikes regarded as reliable and well-proven is probably paramount, given that the non-electrical bits are usually within the scope of most local bike shops.

It's a shame that Kalkhoff haven't offered the Agattu with the Bosch system, reserving that so far for the PC model.

Indalo

ps It might be worth having a look at the HERCULES ROBERTA range (2) sold in this country by Justebikes. They are just over 2K but there are two different unisex models and the chap who runs the firm delivers all over the country.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's a shame that Kalkhoff haven't offered the Agattu with the Bosch system, reserving that so far for the PC model.
They do, the B9G model, but the range is so large that 50cycles have had to be selective with the models they bring in. Possibly one could be available to special order. You'll see the vast range on this site, 39 e-models, most in a choice of about four frame sizes.

Last edited:

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
They do, the B9G model, but the range is so large that 50cycles have had to be selective with the models they bring in. Possibly one could be available to special order. You'll see the vast range on this site, 39 e-models, most in a choice of about four frame sizes.
Well picked up Flecc. Kalkhoff really do seem to have something for just about everyone with their 2012 range. As you say, firms like 50Cycles can't really be expected to stock every model from Kalkhoff with a range so broad but perhaps they can import on demand being, I think, the biggest Kalkhoff outlet in the UK.

Indalo

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I am sure 50 cycles would be happy enough to order in anything from the Kalkhoff range as they must have access to same stock as any European dealer. Your local Raleigh dealer like wise, the plus being bikes are virtually identical. The important thing is to do some home work and have some test rides no matter how inconvenient it is. You are spending a fair bit and its important to get it right........

I really think these new 36 volt systems are the way forward, whether its the new Panasonic, Impulse or Bosch. The Panasonic is getting very good reviews and is as strong as the Bosch but you need deep pockets!

The Bosch Aguta is a new one on me..Raleigh do a similar model as well, The Stoker B

Google Translate

The similar spec Hercules Roberta Indalo mentioned is on German ebay for under £1700...may be a price match with UK dealer?

http://www.ebay.de/itm/E-Bike-Hercules-Robert-Bosch-Sondermodell-Roberta-Pedelec-Elektrofahrrad-/190590278147?pt=Sport_Radsport_Fahrräder&hash=item2c6010da03

Last edited:

Jeanette Morgan

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2006
CORNWALL
Hi and thanks for all the comments and advice. Flecc thanks for your kind words, I've looked in from time to time, but now feel like really getting into cycling again, but with a fresh start.

I tested the Raleigh Leeds low step 3 gear yesterday and was amazed to see how much easier it was to ride than the earlier pedal assist bike I owned years ago. I rode it up a very big and long hill with relative ease, and confidence. It is much lighter than my current sprint, and it felt so very comfortable for me, the handlebars are exactly what I like, perfect upright sitting and sedately cycling along !! I also really like the low step as I did find my Sprint just that little bit too high to jump on and off without the occasional stumble.

I had put off getting a new bike because of the lack of throttles available, not that I ever really just sat and turned the throttle, it was more for when I set off from stationary, and with the high sensitivity of the pedal assist on the Raleigh, I am glad not to have to use a throttle because lately I've been having problems with pains in my hands and fingers, so I shall no longer need to hold the throttle.

I have chosen the 7 gear Raleigh Leeds low step, from my local shop, a shop I've dealt with quite a few times before I got my Sprints, so I have no worries now re repair/concerns etc. they also kindly gave me a discount. I upgraded the battery to 18 Ah thus providing excellent range, especially as I shall be using high power on the hills.

I'll let you know how I go along with it. Having actually sat on it and tried it in my own location, I'm feeling confident that I shall be happy with my purchase. Now I need to clear out the sprints and their paraphernalia, to make way for my new bike.

Thanks again for your help. Jeanette

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Congrats on your lovely new bike Jeanette, hope you have many happy years cycling on it.

Lynda :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's a fine choice Jeanette, and having a local bike dealer in support is very wise, not that the Raleigh will be anything other than reliable. The pedelec power difference that you noticed makes me think the earlier bike you had might have been a Giant Lafree. The Panasonic units these bikes use have become much more powerful since then and also a lot more efficient.

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
That's probably a smart choice Jeanette given your location and proximity to that dealer. Some people say they can't get along with the Panasonic assist method but I love it and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Even today, I found myself in awe at the way my bike just helped me along when the road got a little tougher and I felt the need to switch to power-assist.

All the best with your new bike,
Indalo