2017 Orbea Keram 20 LR - Best Value Bosch emtb?

lozw

Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2016
RG45
I was in the bike shop yesterday where I bought my Orbea Keram and they had new 2017 models.

I noticed the new 20 LR https://www.orbea.com/gb-en/ebikes/keram-20-lr

This has a slightly higher spec than my 2016 Keram 30 model - with things like remote control shocks, fatter tyres, etc, but I was surprised to find that even with the exchange rate change it was cheaper than mine.

They have it for sale at £1650 - which is about as cheap as it gets for a Bosch powered eMTB.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
it's a Bosch kit bolted onto a £300 bike.

• :D
Reactions: LeighPing

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
it's a Bosch kit bolted onto a £300 bike.
Bit harsh, trex.

The fork is basic, and all I would use it for is to prop open the shed door.

But there's a fair bit of Deore in the groupset, although I suspect the wheel bearings will be 'no name'.

I reckon the bike is nearer £500.

Seems to me adding a Bosch motor adds about £1,000 to a basic hardtail bike, so £1,650 for this one isn't far off.

Some of the £3K+ Bosch full sussers do look a lot of money, given the bike bits are often barely half that.

• Informative

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
which bit is Deore? the chainring is Bosch, the freewheel is Shimano HG50, the brakes are M315.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
OK, I was a bit slapdash. These two add about £25 to the price of the bike.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
  • Shifters Shimano Deore M610
  • Rear derailleur Shimano Deore M610 Shadow
Quite.

In Shimano-speak, the brakes are the cheaper Acera.

But budget Shimano hydraulics are excellent, so no worries there.

• Informative

lozw

Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2016
RG45
Bit harsh, trex.

The fork is basic, and all I would use it for is to prop open the shed door.

But there's a fair bit of Deore in the groupset, although I suspect the wheel bearings will be 'no name'.

I reckon the bike is nearer £500.

Seems to me adding a Bosch motor adds about £1,000 to a basic hardtail bike, so £1,650 for this one isn't far off.

Some of the £3K+ Bosch full sussers do look a lot of money, given the bike bits are often barely half that.
Isn't it always the case? The Bosch parts are the most expensive part. So at £2000 and below the Bosch parts are going to be the far biggest component, price wise.

My point was that this is good entry into Bosch based emtb. Where are the other at this price point, especially post-brexit? I couldn't see any when I looked around, and didn't want to spend a fortune.

Of course its not the best bike, but I am more than happy enough with my Orbea and wanted the Bosch-based system.

mike tatt

Pedelecer
Jul 24, 2016
Worsthorne, Lancashire
I've never come across the Orbea brand before - but the bikes look good and the spec is close to many other entry level Bosh powered pedecs.

I suspect that for the majority of riders - the standard of kit will be just fine - but any any 'average' parts can always be upgraded gradually to replace the bits that fail through natural wear and tear.

• Agree

lozw

Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2016
RG45
I've never come across the Orbea brand before
Agreed. Their presence isn't very high in the UK. I hadn't heard of them till I saw the bike in my local store.
But good enough for Olympic medalists and World Cup MTB Champions it seems :)
https://www.orbea.com/gb-en/news/category/orbea_teams

After her medal in the [URL='https://www.rio2016.com/']Rio Games
on her Orbea Alma, the Orbea rider has earned her third title in the World XC Cup. Barely two weeks after the excitement we experienced in Brazil, Pendrel has once again been crowned the best rider of the year[/URL]

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I had heard of Orbea, but it's worth remembering most bicycle brands are just that, brands.

A tit (tigged in Taiwan) frame, and the bikes assembled at wherever the band happens to be based using components from all over the world.

lozw

Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2016
RG45
I had heard of Orbea, but it's worth remembering most bicycle brands are just that, brands.

A tit (tigged in Taiwan) frame, and the bikes assembled at wherever the band happens to be based using components from all over the world.
As I mentioned in my Orbea review - you may not have heard of Orbea, but the components will be familiar to everyone.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I think they still make frames in Spain or maybe Orbea has them in from Portugal, I think they are players in the Portuguese bike valley initiative.

Silverfox.Mike

Just Joined
Apr 4, 2018
Hampshire
I recently rented a 2017 Orbea Keram 30 for a week long trial, to see if I could get on with it on the 15 mile each way commute to work, The journey is from Tadley to Wokingham and about 5 miles is off-road i.e. mud trails and tracks.

I found it very capable, I cycled 3 days out of 5 and was reluctant to give it back. I'll probably buy one now, I'm just waiting for my Cycle to Work voucher to come through.

Worth noting that I am not a cyclist by any means, the last time I was on my hybrid mountain bike was Autumn 2017. The Orbea made easy work of the long hills that I have to go up. It is more uphill on the way home, I found that I would use 37% of the charge on the way to work and about 60-65% on the way home. I took the charger with me so I could top it up in work.

I reckon I would buy a 2nd charger to avoid carrying one with me. My plan is to use this for the daily commute at least 3 days per week and save a load of cash on diesel as well as getting a bit fitter at the same time.

The nice thing is the retailer who hired the bike, will knock the hire charge of any purchase, that's great customer service.

D

Deleted member 4366

I reckon I would buy a 2nd charger to avoid carrying one with me. My plan is to use this for the daily commute at least 3 days per week and save a load of cash on diesel as well as getting a bit fitter at the same time.
Until you see the price of a charger!

You won't need a second one. It won't take long for your legs to strengthen, then you'll be using only half the battery.

When I started commuting (29 mile round trip) on a cheapo ebike, I was panicking as the low battery (360wh) warning light was flashing up the last hill. After a few months, I was only using about 120wh for the whole trip, and when I wanted to push myself, I could do it on 40wh..

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Until you see the price of a charger!
Have you seen the house prices in rural Hampshire?

A Bosch charger will be loose change to Silverfox.Mike.

Silverfox.Mike

Just Joined
Apr 4, 2018
Hampshire
There's some funny comedians on this forum, House prices are indeed expensive in rural Hampshire, but so are mortgages..

Good point on the strengthening legs d8veh. I'll hold off on the £100 second charger for a bit to see how things go.

I've only experienced the Orbea Keram - if there are better options at the same price point, I'll happily take a look, but I did find the 29er wheels helpful and at only 5' 7" the medium frame of the Keram 30 seemed a good fit for me.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
One £1,750 Bosch mountain bike rides much the same as another.

So it comes down to other factors such as fit, colour preference, availability, and likely quality of service.

If the Orbea dealer you rented from appears to you to know what they are doing, there's no point in looking any further - assuming you want a Bosch bike.

You used most of the battery each day on the rental bike, so make sure you get the bigger 500wh battery,

An alternative, rather than necessarily a better option, would be a hub drive bike.

A few members on here have Oxygens.

Probably a bit pokier than a Bosch bike, and certainly easier to get the motor to assist above 15mph, if that's your thing.

I'm not the biggest fan of generic Chinese bikes, but Oxygen is one of the better bikes of that type.

A bit cheaper than a Bosch bike, so you'd have more coin left over to pay that mortgage.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Give 2018 Shimano Steps model a test ride before committing to Bosch version. Steps has few pluses over the older Activeline.
1) better climbing performance, expect a few extra kmhs on climbs compared to activeline.
2) direct drive compared to bosch 1:2.5 gearbox. Easier to pedal unassisted above cutoff point.
3) better assist button, very possitive action. Bosch is bit flaky, easy to go up or down 2 levels by mistake. For commuting probably not big issue.
4) more powerful eco mode all you should need on flat with light head winds. Bosch eco assist level is bit to light.

5) spare battery is about 20-30% cheaper.
6) faster 4A charger 40% in hour for 400wh battery. Bosch typically supplied with lot slower 2A charger. For overnite charging doesn't matter but for quick topup at lunch time while touring that 40% makes huge difference.

Cons.
1) Cutoff point bit sudden at 25kmh, especially in higher assist levels. Not really issue in eco mode. Bosch fades out between 25-27kmh.
2) lumpy power delivery in higher modes especially High mode when climbing.
3) bulky charger, Bosch is lot more compact and lighter both 2A and 4A.
4) slower to turn ON takes 2-3sec Bosch is instant.

Had 5000kms out of Steps bike without problem.

Related Articles

Advertisers