24v controller on 36v

PatM

Pedelecer
Jul 24, 2009
Maidstone Kent
After my problems with a poorly manufactured LiFEpo4 battery- Ive brought a 36v frog unit and Im planning on running it into my 24v controller- if the controller blows, then Im not too fussed- they are reasonably cheap to repair of replace with a higher voltage one. Ive read people get away with doing this.

what I need to know what resistor I need to run in series with my 24v LEDs on my throttle/battery indicator? 100 ohm??- so that they don't blow and run on 36v, rather than 24v.

Thanks in anticipation- Im sure others have done this mod!

D

Deleted member 4366

It's not as simple as putting a resistor in your LEDs. They're on a little PCB, and different ones work in different ways. The LEDs won't blow, they'll just be on allthe time.

TETS

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 6, 2007
Hi PatM

Ok first things first, it is never advisable to run 36v through a 24v controller. You might get away with it for a short period until it overheats and dies but in most cases it will blow straight away and if it does it could even take the motor with it. Get a well made controller (not a Fleabay cheapo special) of the right voltage and it will make a big difference to the bike. Remember the motor is only as good as the controller that sends power to it. A cheap or weak controller will hamstring it's hill climbing.

Give us a shout if you want advise about getting the right controller. We'd be happy to help.

Second point about the lights. If you have LEDs then the circuitry will be designed to run on a certain voltage. Stick to it or you'll have problems.

Another option would be to go for a much better quality 24v battery than whatever LiFePo4 job you had problems with before. We can talk you through the options here as well but at least that way you can run your lights still.

Matt
The Electric Transport Shop
www.e

PatM

Pedelecer
Jul 24, 2009
Maidstone Kent
ok, can the Tem recommend a replacement/upgrade controller to my current set-up. Im using the Ebay ecrazyman/Lyen/ 24v controller , which has throttle, hall, motor, brakes, LED battery-level, 3-speed switch, . My motor is unbranded- brushless- 3-phase with hall sensors. I want to safely install a 36v battery as opposed to my current 24v battery.

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
Quite right d8veh, good and impartial advice as usual.
BTW if you want an LED display that's suitable for 36v then BMS sell them as well - less than 3 quid
I am sick of people using this forum to push their own products and businesses

D

Deleted member 4366

Yes, I forgot about that option.I guess you mean this one:
Battery Capacity LED Indicator - BMSBATTERY

or, of course, you could get a new throttle with 36v LEDs for nearly the same price, but the shipping cost is a killer unless you buy more stuff. The shipping cost alone on the throttle is £20.

Their S06P controller is equivalent to mine. The controller, sensor and LCD come to $46, then add $33 shipping, which makes £49. Mine comes with pedal sensor as well to guarantee compatibilty, so the price is the same, but with mine you get personal step by step instruction over the phone. What more could you ask for? I think I'm actually selling them at a loss. I could never become a proper trader.

PatM

Pedelecer
Jul 24, 2009
Maidstone Kent
Sadly, I missed out on your offer! :-( I was in my garage last night assembling my new bench and polishing my new tool kit that arrived yesterday for the nice More Than > people.