250W 20inch hub engine 36V+++

DuncanDK

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2015
Hi all

I am looking for a 250W 20inch hub engine in 36V-48V for retrofitting.
I ride a tricycle, - not a bicycle ;-) And I want the engine to run with assistence up to approx 35 km/t or above. In other words, I want to ride without the restricter

I have found this supplyer for retrofitting my self but I do not know anything about the quality:
Heinzmann DirectPower PRA 180-25- Type Pedelec 20”- top speed 38 km/t
http://www.ebike.heinzmann.com/en/systems/directpower/motor

Do you have any other recommendations, what other supplyers are out there?

I have no hills in my area, and I prefer a rear hub engine in a 20 inch for easy wheel swapping to non-electric in the week-ends. During the week I use it for commuting 2*25 kms to work on a daily basis, In the weekends I pedal on my own.

Please help me along here....

Last edited:

DuncanDK

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2015
Dear d8veh

Thank you for your answer to my question the other day

You appear very knowledgeable and I dare to ask your advice in a tricky-e-bike-matter. The thing is, that I want to be able to switch between street legal and off-road mode, using the same motor and battery.

Which parts do I need to build a 48-Volt-e-bike, that can switch from street legal (250W-max 25 km/h- EU-law) to off-road-mode (++500W- 45 Km/h- 28 miles/h) with the flick of a switch(hardware switch)?

Do I use two controllers?
It is my very first build, - do you have any suggestions or advice to give?
(I know that it is a tricky question…. ;))

Ps. I drive a fully suspended tadpole tricycle with 20 inch wheels, and I would prefer at rear hub motor for easy witch between electric and regular pedalling.

Sincerely yours

Duncan

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
My dream bike is a HPvelotechnik 26" Gekko with either a pinion box on front and a rear hub motor or a bafang 250W motor up front and a Rohloff in rear. For using as a human powered trike I would just take the battery off and ride as is with the extra 3-4 kg weight on the trike. The motor will not add any drag, just weight.

With the right motor/controller choice you could use two batteries, one 36V for "legal" onroad use and a 48V for offroad = + 33% speed and power. Changing top speed on the LCD is the affair of 15 seconds. At the moment I am set to 28 kph but have tried it up to 33 kph.

A small 500W motor can be made "legal" with a nice metallic sticker reading 25 kph max, 250 W nominal, EPAC compatible, C E.

Last edited:
Reactions: DuncanDK

appyarry

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2015
Lyminge, Kent
I fitted a BBS01 to the wifes Pashley Trike, it is a fun ride. I looked at doing a rear wheel drive however I couldn't see how to fit a driven wheel to the Pashley without fitting dropouts hence the BBSO1. If you are near the channel tunnel then drop me a line and you can have a ride if you're interested.

C

Cyclezee

Hi all

I am looking for a 250W 20inch hub engine in 36V-48V for retrofitting.
I ride a tricycle, - not a bicycle ;-) And I want the engine to run with assistence up to approx 35 km/t or above. In other words, I want to ride without the restricter

I have found this supplyer for retrofitting my self but I do not know anything about the quality:
Heinzmann DirectPower PRA 180-25- Type Pedelec 20”- top speed 38 km/t
http://www.ebike.heinzmann.com/en/systems/directpower/motor

Do you have any other recommendations, what other supplyers are out there?

I have no hills in my area, and I prefer a rear hub engine in a 20 inch for easy wheel swapping to non-electric in the week-ends. During the week I use it for commuting 2*25 kms to work on a daily basis, In the weekends I pedal on my own.

Please help me along here....
Hi Duncan,

It would be useful to know the make and model of trike that you have, what is the configuration, tadpole or delta, upright or recumbent?

A 20" motor wheel kit is not a problem, front or rear, we supply and/or convert with both Heinzmann Direct Power, Heinzmann Classic or eZee conversion kits.

We are currently in the process of converting a Circe Helios 20" tandem with a Heinzmann Direct Power kit to be shipped to a customer in Marseille

Below is an example of a trike we converted earlier this week with an eZee front motor wheel kit. In this instance the trike is a Mission Triad.
IMG_20150825_091158.jpg IMG_20150825_091307.jpg

N.B. having read post No.3, what you are asking for is illegal to use anywhere in the UK with the exception of private land where the public has no access.

If you require further information simply email cyclezee.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 4366

There's no legal limit to the power you put through your motor, so no need for a switch, but you have to use a motor that's nominally 250w. You can't have a switch to switch it from 25km/h to faster either. Having the switch makes it illegal, so no point in having one either. Whatever speed restriction you have, it can't be accessible while riding the bike.