26V Battery on 36V controller?

Ajax

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
I'm thinking of putting my old and possibly still useful controller on my old bike.

My old bike has a working 26v 10A battery, the controller is 36v 12A. Question, would the bike work? Would the under current cut off prevent the any current getting to the motor? Or is that down to the battery's BMS.

Given that the throttle controls voltage to the motor, i'm guessing there should be some motion on the motor. Any thoughts, or do i just wire it up and hope for the best? ;)

Last edited:

benjy_a

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2009
IF the controller has a low voltage cutoff which is set for a 36v battery then it won't work. Worth wiring up and trying in my opinion.

Controllers are so cheap compared to the battery and bike...just buy a 24v controller on eBay?

D

Deleted member 4366

The low voltage cut-off on a 36v controller is usually set at about 29v. When your 26v battery is fully charged, it'll be at whatever voltage is written on it's charger - probably 29.4v, which will drop below 29v as soon as you open the throttle, causing the controller to shut down. So the answer's no. Your motor would work with that battery and a 24v controller.

It's possible to change the low voltage cut-off point in the controller if you know how to solder in resistors.