300miles on a juicy.

detec52

Pedelecer
Jan 14, 2011
Just a short review of my juicy sport 2011, i purchased this great bike in january of this year and have ridden some 300 miles on her, most trips i do are around 24 to 33 miles and there have been no problems, the bike pulls well i only use peddle assist but hills are no problem to it, i did read on a review that the brakes maybe needed upgrading? as with any disc brake system you need to bed the pads in well before they will start to bite, my brakes bite hard and are great stoppers, i did have to adjust the bars and now find it very comfy, i have fitted a rickman top box to my rear rack and can carry lots now, i do look after the battery and charge after every ride this takes around 4 to 4 and a half hours, all in all for the money i paid i think i got a great deal and a worthy bike, i will review again at 600m. Rob.

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Useful review, thanks Rob. Glad you didn't use the word 'cheap' or 'cheaper' as Bob of Juicy Bikes would have been round here sharpish. (But they ARE less money, Bob...)

A

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Great to hear you're enjoying the bike Rob and thanks for posting.

Allen, you're making me all twitchy again... :)

Graeme

Pedelecer
May 7, 2011
Monifieth, Dundee, Scotland
Hi Rob
How are you getting on with your bike?
Which model do you have?
I am 6ft 1, just wondering about the comfort aspect for a taller rider.
I can of course raise the bar, so to speak.
Unfortunately there are no dealers in Scotland to go test.
Graeme

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Cheers Rob.

I am also a Juicy owner (Sport 2010) and reviewed my model positively back in October after a few months of ownership. I would concur on the brakes though - they are by Zoom, which I can't say I've heard of.

I've found that mine need constant adjustment - adjusted too far out, they'll be spongy with poor stopping power, and too far in, they'll rub and squeak. Even with new-ish pads, there doesn't seem to be a good balance point (especially one that lasts more than a few days).

I've found a replacement set of disk calipers from Shimano for £60, which I am hoping might provide better performance. I wouldn't discourage anyone from getting a Juicy for this reason, though; their pricing means you can afford to customise with spares and still save on otherwise comparable bikes. The gears are Shimano, and once adjusted and bedded in, are solid and reliable.

Bob, would you know if the spacing of the bolts and the width of the disk would permit other brands of disk caliper being fitted?

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
I am 6ft 1, just wondering about the comfort aspect for a taller rider.
I am the same height as you, and the Sport fits me well. It is a large bike, and so I think it might be less suitable for a much shorter rider. Just raise the saddle a bit, and you're good to go.

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Bob, would you know if the spacing of the bolts and the width of the disk would permit other brands of disk caliper being fitted?
The Bolt spacing is industry standard, you can fit any make of caliper. Sometimes the calipers are 'handed', one for the front, another for the rear. Some calipers are universal and will fit front or rear.

I have one of the original Juicy Sports which has 160mm rotors front and rear, you might want to check the diameter of your rotors to be sure. As far as I can tell the latest Sports are 160mm front and rear.

D

Deleted member 4366

Cheers Rob.

I've found a replacement set of disk calipers from Shimano for £60, which I am hoping might provide better performance. I wouldn't discourage anyone from getting a Juicy for this reason, though; their pricing means you can afford to customise with spares and still save on otherwise comparable bikes.
If your motor is a front one, you'll need a disk of at least 180mm and a calliper spacer to go with it.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Hi Jon
All fittings on any Juicy Bike are industry standard, so there's a wealth of customisation available, though the standard parts should be perfectly adequate and will function well. Are you adjusting both inner and outer pad? To do this you need two sizes of allen key as the (hidden) outer screw adjuster uses a smaller allen key than the inner pad adjuster - very easy of course, once you spot the hidden adjuster.
You may like to know that our brake pads are available on our website at only £7.50 a pair - much less than most on the high street!
With the ease of going fast, quickly, electric bikes tend to encourage more braking...

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hi Bob

Well, that is interesting. For the one side, I am adjusting the obvious inner pad via the magnetic screw-lid. I did also find the grub-screw adjuster, but as far as I could tell it simply bites into the side of the inner pad, locking it into place - which I thought was rather redundant.

Clearly I've not understood its purpose correctly - I will have a proper look at the weekend. Or, maybe the grub screw I've found and the outer screw you refer to are two different things - will report back!

I did buy some new pads from your store, but I fear that since it now seems I've incorrectly adjusted them, I may have worn them down prematurely. Oh dear!

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
You're absolutely right - the outer pad can be reached with a smaller (4mm?) hex key and adjusts very well indeed. I would not have thought to try that without your hints - thanks. Very hidden indeed (and the grub screw is indeed a red herring).

That turns out to have been a big help, although I am still finding it hard to find a good balance between letting the wheel run completely free when the brakes are off, and for the calipers to bite down effectively when the brakes are applied. The cables have good travel and good return. Will continue to experiment - thankfully now I at least have an acceptable amount of stopping power!

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Glad to help - adjusting brakes is really quite easy as long as you know how. Our latest manuals are much more informative.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
You're absolutely right - the outer pad can be reached with a smaller (4mm?) hex key and adjusts very well indeed. I would not have thought to try that without your hints - thanks. Very hidden indeed (and the grub screw is indeed a red herring).

That turns out to have been a big help, although I am still finding it hard to find a good balance between letting the wheel run completely free when the brakes are off, and for the calipers to bite down effectively when the brakes are applied. The cables have good travel and good return. Will continue to experiment - thankfully now I at least have an acceptable amount of stopping power!
Halfer, I'm gathering some info on your bike and usage. I've sent you a PM. - Thanks Alan ..

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Glad to help - adjusting brakes is really quite easy as long as you know how. Our latest manuals are much more informative.
You beat me to it - I was going to ask if it could go in the manual. That said, I am not sure it would have helped me, since I rarely am in the habit of reading them :eek: