36v 250w Rear wheel Hub and controller kit

123Andy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 30, 2019
Hi All . I have an old e bike called an E voyager from Pro Rider. It has recently packed up and I can no longer source parts for it. I want to buy a rear wheel kit and controller . I will need it so it can be used via a throttle. I see a lot of different kits out there. Has anyone got any recommendations of good reliable kits.
Thanks for your time

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Can you tell under what circumstance sit packed up or if there was any notice before hand that something was wrong >

Likely hood is the hub motor is fine they don't often go wrong unless you abuse them by overvolting or applying to much current/power. For about £100 - 120you can buy a nice KT controller/lcd kit with all the lecy components needed to get it working again.

If you only want a motor and kit with no battery.

You can try Woosh for UK supplier.

Yose power website for about < £200, though most are 350w rated.

Aliexpress for Bafang CST kit < £230., these are 250w rated G.020/SWXO2 hubs.
The D. are for freewheel gears and DC. kits for cassette gears and ask for a 250w sticker and they will supply one.

123Andy

Jul 30, 2019
Can you tell under what circumstance sit packed up or if there was any notice before hand that something was wrong >

Likely hood is the hub motor is fine they don't often go wrong unless you abuse them by overvolting or applying to much current/power. For about £100 - 120you can buy a nice KT controller/lcd kit with all the lecy components needed to get it working again.

If you only want a motor and kit with no battery.

You can try Woosh for UK supplier.

Yose power website for about < £200, though most are 350w rated.

Aliexpress for Bafang CST kit < £230., these are 250w rated G.020/SWXO2 hubs.
The D. are for freewheel gears and DC. kits for cassette gears and ask for a 250w sticker and they will supply one.
Hi thanks for your reply. When the bike started to go wrong it made a high pitch sound and felt like the breaks had been applied. I slowed down then the bike worked ok for another mile before it did it again . When I got home I put the bike on the stand and opened up the throttle and got the same high pitched noise this is when it stopped working. The lights on the bike still worked. I hope that makes sense

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Could be something in the hub, planet gears , clutch failure or controller failure.

For controller failure.
Before you disconnect the controller from the motor wheel, try turning the motor wheel by hand forward and backward. If any hard resistance is felt or wheel fails to turn easily then controller is likely at fault. Disconnect controller from motor wheel, if motor wheel frees up forward and slight resistance is felt backward then controller is faulty.

If you disconnect the motor wheel connection from the controller, the motor wheel should easily freewheel by hand forward , and by hand backward you should feel slight resistance of the planet gears engaging the hub body gearing. If the motor wheel doesn't do both of these then likely clutch or planet gears are at fault.

Last edited:

123Andy

Jul 30, 2019
Could be something in the hub, planet gears , clutch failure or controller failure.

For controller failure.
Before you disconnect the controller from the motor wheel, try turning the motor wheel by hand forward and backward. If any hard resistance is felt or wheel fails to turn easily then controller is likely at fault. Disconnect controller from motor wheel, if motor wheel frees up forward and slight resistance is felt backward then controller is faulty.

If you disconnect the motor wheel connection from the controller, the motor wheel should easily freewheel by hand forward , and by hand backward you should feel slight resistance of the planet gears engaging the hub body gearing. If the motor wheel doesn't do both of these then likely clutch or planet gears are at fault.

123Andy

Jul 30, 2019
Hi that's a great explanation. with the power on and motor connected I have a slight resistance but I can turn the wheel easily. with the motor disconnected and waiting a few minutes for something to discharge the wheel frees up. without any power the wheel does turn freely. so it could be my controller. I think I will look into getting a wheel and controller kit as I would get a new wiring harness and everything should match

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Both tests are carried out with no power and is a test of wiring/controller shorting out or damaged motor wheel internals.
If you motor utilises a Julet multipin motor connector then it will be compatible with most controller kits.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Hi .I thought I would take a picture of my controller and plug that comes from the rear wheel.
You mentioned about a KT controller and display kit. Just wandered what the KT stands for if you know
Thanks
The hall connector (6 pin White Block) is standard on most China controllers.
That wire connector goes to the motor via a thcker round wire and some where along the rear stay you will come a cross a two part moulded round Black Julet connector.

123Andy

Jul 30, 2019
My existing wheel uses what I think you call a hub break. Are there any conversion kits with this set up. Or will I have to fit a disk break.