4 Wheel bikecar?

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
Does anyone know if a 4 wheel bicycle would be road legal in the UK?

I have had a vision of a two seater open frame 4 (BMX) wheeled bikecar in my head for some time now and had considered actually making it with one or possibly two hub motors, but the possibility that I may never be able to drive/ride it legally puts me off.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
How about a tandem with a powerful kit....still cut through traffic etc......

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
I don't think I could deal with the stigma attached to tandems. I'm sure it is all in my head but I always have a quiet chuckle to myself when I see one go by...

Last edited:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
I think a lot of people feel the same about electric bikes :eek:

Regards

Jerry

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
And that is why we need a 4 wheeled electric bike car - to bring everybody together in peace and harmony :)

As long as it is road legal...

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
And that is why we need a 4 wheeled electric bike car - to bring everybody together in peace and harmony :)

As long as it is road legal...
I don't think it will be legal, that's why all the powered rickshaws were banned in London. I dont think tandems are that bad......yes they raise a smile but if you need to be "together" :confused: a Raliegh tandem(20-24kg) is just over £400 and a 14 amp ezee front hub kit will make it rocket along...Plus you can go anywhere a bike can and not be held up in traffic:p

Last edited:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
I don't think it will be legal, that's why all the powered rickshaws were banned in London.
Interesting I saw one of these in Cambridge late last year though it looked unused and parked up for some time.

I wonder if the ban is UK wide :confused:

Regards

Jerry

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The British legal position is that the powered trike total weight must not exceed 60 kilos and the power 250 watts continuous maximum.

That rules out all these pedicabs on weight alone.

The EU does not set a weight limit but retains the 250 watts, so we might just benefit when the law changes to the EU rules soon, though I wouldn't hold my breath.

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
I remember reading about the trike regs in the consultation document a while back. I didn't think that would apply to a 4 wheel pedal vehicle. I can't find much info about the law and this specific issue in the UK. There are a few pedal cars in the states but they are chunky things that look like they weigh a ton. I had in mind a low (as in recumbant low), side by side two seater, no other passenger space, lightweight tube frame (gives me an excuse to buy a pipe bender :) ) and BMX wheels, the hub motor isn't a requirement, I would consider either a panasonic chain drive or just pedal power - just wondering if it is worth commiting the time to doing if it turns out to be totally illegal for road use...

Last edited:

Leesome

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 8, 2010
Tandem for two, only when both agree.

How about a tandem with a powerful kit....still cut through traffic etc......
Passed one several months ago, two students, having seen them leaving local
university accommodation. Boy racer in the front, full cycling gear, partner in the back, he was peddling like crazy, head down taking it all very serious.

Passed them on the 1000w hub, smiled at her, said hello, she burst out laughing, having clocked the lack of exhaustion and few rotations on the peddles. He just kept his head down, peddling like you do.

Tandem eh, not for me. :)

Clarkey

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2009
My other half won't consider a tandem - but a side by side quad would be quite nice for pleasant bimbling.

I think the ebike law only speaks of bikes or trikes but pedelecs can be quadricycles. I can find no weight limit for pedelecs but the recent discussion paper from the government suggests keeping the 60kg limit.

Having said that, I think it must be perfectly possible to make a lightweight assisted quad within a 60kg limit. Using 2 BMX frames is an intriguing idea. They certainly have the strength, as do the wheels - just check out some of the 'BMX sidehack' videos on youtube!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Having said that, I think it must be perfectly possible to make a lightweight assisted quad within a 60kg limit. Using 2 BMX frames is an intriguing idea. They certainly have the strength, as do the wheels - just check out some of the 'BMX sidehack' videos on youtube!
60 kg powered trikes and quads are certainly possible using lithium batteries, but the pedicab/rickshaw trikes suitable fpr heavy duty public use are impossible to keep within 60 kilos if powered. From memory the popular Cycles Maximus one is minimum 124 kilos for example.

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
Hmmm... sounds like it might be legal then?

The term quadricycle turns up a lot more info on google - still not specific enough to answer my question in an unequivocal fashion.

Found something on the DFTs website about type approval for lightweight quadricycles but they are talking about small quad bikes rather than quad pedal bikes. Emailed them to see if they can provide the relevant legislation for or against...

Last edited:

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
just check out some of the 'BMX sidehack' videos on youtube!
I used to love the BMX sidecar racing when I was a kid - nice to see it is still alive - it was always more entertaining than the straight bmx races as there were far more crashes. What does that say about me?

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
This looks like it puts the khybosh on the ebike option.

"It is interesting to note that whereas these regulations cater for pedal cycles with any number of wheels from two (bicycle) to four (quadricycle) – or even more – electrical assistance is not permitted with more than three (tricycle). This means that load-carrying quadricycles, increasingly used for deliveries into areas from which motor vehicles are excluded, cannot receive a little necessary electrical assistance without themselves becoming classified as motor vehicles. "

Last edited:

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
Although this would suggest that if the UK adopts the EU regs then it might be possible...

"Many other countries also allow a modicum of electrical assistance on pedal cycles, under similar but slightly different regulations of their own. Mostly they allow a bit more power (250W rather than 200W), with a fractionally higher motor cut-off speed of 25 kmph (15.5 mph) and up to four wheels."

Clarkey

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2009
I think that the EU law is already in force - the odd bit is that the GB 'EAPC' law was never cancelled.

A quad would appear to be a fairly clear case - covered solely under the EU law and therefore permissable? The UK would have a pretty tricky task to prosecute you for using something legal throughout the EU?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The UK would have a pretty tricky task to prosecute you for using something legal throughout the EU?
The DfT position on this is that in a British Court, British and UK laws apply, since that is the only law they have access to. However, now the change is in hand, the DfT has removed some EAPC guideline web pages so I think any prosecution could well be blocked by them.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Let's hope they get this sorted out soon, it would be nice to have some clarity.
Here's the archived advisory page, heading and URL refer. Clearly they are expecting the new law before too long and the archiving seems to indicate the EAPC regulations are regarded as no longer suitable to advise consumers:

EAPC webpage