400 vs 500 Battery?

davidenco

Just Joined
Feb 5, 2017
Wirral
I am interested in purchasing a Cube eBike with a 400wh battery. The bike is mainly going to be used to commute to and from work, 6 days a week, 20 miles a day. In a few weeks I am moving house and the distance to work will be halved, so 10 miles a day. During weekends/holidays I will take it to Delamere or into Wales.

When it comes to battery, the price difference is £200 but the difference in features between either battery is what? Does the 500wh make the bike go faster in a shorter time, or will it simply give me more miles? If the latter, how many more miles?

Thanks in advance.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
It basically allows 20% longer distance give covered . It is not any faster . Except that with a larger energy supply, you might be tempted to use the high assist modes more of the time,
There is another advantage with a larger battery. Li ion batteries live longer when they are not discharged fully so if the larger battery is recharged before it loses much charge it will last disproportionately longer.
The disadvantage is they cost more and weight more.

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
For £200 I would do it.

With a 400 W battery and the distances you are interested in will be easily in the range for commuting if not twice that.

But to get a bigger battery has advantages in the future and when you want to sell.

Plus the extra money you paid in a year or two will be forgotten.

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
400 watts you would have 35 miles
500 watts you would probably close to 55 miles

Mileage depends on weight, Tyre pressure,chain lube,weather,How much effort you are putting in, Terrain

The last couple of weeks i have changed my chain lube and i have gained three miles on the same journey

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
What Will Do More Will Do Less".
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Back to OP's Question,
more is best, if you can afford it, go for it.
I brought my cube before the 500's existed, for the most part 400 is more than enough but there's times I want more.
When I'm out enjoying meandering around country lanes, I'm always aware of the distance home vs remaining battery and wishing I had more.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
400wh is fine for commute, for longer rides £200 will buy lot of coffees or beers while topping up your battery.
If it is eMTB buy 500wh.

• Agree
Reactions: Izzyekerslike