Help! 40k flat commute @ 40k/hr, Direct Drive or Geared?

HRC

Just Joined
Feb 17, 2020
Hi all, after a great first mid drive tsdz2 build I need to start my second ebike project. (Yes, I'm definitely infected by the diy ebike virus)
I need to build an ebike to commute 40k a day and I want to able to do it at not less than 40k/hr on very flat terrain (Belgium). I could do that speed on the 750w tsdz2, but it's not the optimal tool for the job (I now installed that motor it on my wife's bike).
Due the terrain is really flat so high torque situations will not happen often
With above goal in mind, I plan to buy a 500-750ish Watt rear hub drive motor, but I'm not sure about what type of motor and brand to buy.
- Would a direct drive be the best choice and make less long term problems? Or nowadays the geared hub motors work well enough?
- Seems a sinewave controller should be a must?
- I guess I should aim not less than 48v/20Ah controller?.
- How many Wh/km should I consider when choosing the battery? Around 15?
What would the experts recommend? Any proven brand recommendations?
Important too: I don't want to break the bank
Thanks!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
40kph = 25mph. You only need 500W for that speed on a flat road.
Any 48V CD kit will do that derestricted, I guess you know that already because you own a TSDZ2 and any 48V TSDZ2 can do that.
but please move this thread to the s-peledecs section of the forum.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A moped.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

HRC

Just Joined
Feb 17, 2020
40kph = 25mph. You only need 500W for that speed on a flat road.
Any 48V CD kit will do that derestricted, I guess you know that already because you own a TSDZ2 and any 48V TSDZ2 can do that.
but please move this thread to the s-peledecs section of the forum.
How can I move it? Just delete the post and create a new one? I cant t find the option to more the post to another section. Thanks.