Help! 48v e bike battery help

Thatsadz

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 29, 2020
So I‘ve got an 48v 1000w conversion kit from eBay and now I need a battery to power it. Will a 48v 10ah batter do ? (480wh) One seller said that it isn’t suitable for the kit but some say they are
Can anyone please help me with this?
Thanks

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
What's critical for those illegal, inefficient, power hungry 1000w kits is the power the battery can deliver; that is to do with the amps it can deliver. The ah figures give and idea of total capacity, but not ability to deliver it. Bigger capacity batteries often can deliver more as they have more parallel sets of cells, but it depends on the quality of the cells as well. A cheap 10ah battery is unlikely to be able to get the best out of that motor; a really good quality one would probably be just about ok.

Thatsadz

Apr 29, 2020
What's critical for those illegal, inefficient, power hungry 1000w kits is the power the battery can deliver; that is to do with the amps it can deliver. The ah figures give and idea of total capacity, but not ability to deliver it. Bigger capacity batteries often can deliver more as they have more parallel sets of cells, but it depends on the quality of the cells as well. A cheap 10ah battery is unlikely to be able to get the best out of that motor; a really good quality one would probably be just about ok.
Hi thanks for the reply
So what do you suggest will be sufficient for it ? I’m on a budget and already have the 48v 1000w kit

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Hi thanks for the reply
So what do you suggest will be sufficient for it ? I’m on a budget and already have the 48v 1000w kit
Unfortunately, you're not going to get away with a budget option for use with a direct drive motor. Take a look at the following battery with 25R cells (48V 9.8Ah):

Thatsadz

Apr 29, 2020
Unfortunately, you're not going to get away with a budget option for use with a direct drive motor. Take a look at the following battery with 25R cells (48V 9.8Ah):
I’ve had a look but it’s comes to £320 which is a bit much , Will a 13ah 48v from eBay work ? I’ve seen some listings advertised as 48v 10ah for a 1000w motor

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
I’ve had a look but it’s comes to £320 which is a bit much , Will a 13ah 48v from eBay work ? I’ve seen some listings advertised as 48v 10ah for a 1000w motor
Please post links to both your motor kit and the battery in question and I'll give you my personal opinion.

Thatsadz

Apr 29, 2020
Please post links to both your motor kit and the battery in question and I'll give you my personal opinion.
Sure here they are
Motor kit:

Battery:

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Sure here they are
Motor kit:

Battery:
Thanks.

The conversion kit listing lacks some important information. Does the controller supplied with your kit state its 'maximum current' on the label?

• Agree
Reactions: sjpt

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
As Daniel has mentioned you need to supply links to the items, the controller for the 1kw kit will have an amp rating and any battery will need a continuous amp discharge rating in excess of the controller rating. The 1kw D/D kits are power hungry and even the £320 one using top Samsung 20a rated cells will only see you for about maybe 15 - 18 miles tops.

Of any of us Daniel is the experienced user of these types of hubs so if he say's it will be crap then it will be crap.

Most of us use much lower powered geared hubs/mid drives that are lighter and more user friendly most of them will out do the cheap 1kw in all aspects when the 1kw kits use crappy cheap batteries, the geared hubs/mid drives will out range, out climb and be better generally bar higher end speed above 18/20 mph. In this case bigger doesn't mean better, unless the very good money is spent on the right battery with the very best cells used inside and they don't come cheap. Off the top of my head I can think of about six or seven really good cells that are capable and those won't be used in a cheap ebay battery.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The battery linked to won't cut it or last too long it is only 25a rated continuous and the controller looks to be 28 or 30a +1 capable ( the label isn't very clear to read).
You need a battery with at least a 40a discharge current spec .

Thatsadz

Apr 29, 2020
The battery linked to won't cut it or last too long it is only 25a rated continuous and the controller looks to be 28 or 30a +1 capable ( the label isn't very clear to read).
You need a battery with at least a 40a discharge current spec .
Can you please help me find a good cheap battery that will work

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Daniel has mentioned one but it is too steep for your pockets and that is a low Ah one.
Buyers are seduced by the claimed power and speed which are both illegal and are leagally gettable on a cheap moped and some of the reviews left buy buyers.
One buyer said I use it on 250w setting because it eats the battery, totally pointless them buying it. Another says I get 30 miles with my 17ah battery but doesn't mention how much that battery has cost him likely in excess of £600.

Thatsadz

Apr 29, 2020
Daniel has mentioned one but it is too steep for your pockets and that is a low Ah one.
Buyers are seduced by the claimed power and speed which are both illegal and are leagally gettable on a cheap moped and some of the reviews left buy buyers.
One buyer said I use it on 250w setting because it eats the battery, totally pointless them buying it. Another says I get 30 miles with my 17ah battery but doesn't mention how much that battery has cost him likely in excess of £600.
Okay I understand thanks for your help if I got a lower powered kit would options be better?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Lifepo4 50a continuous this will work but the battery is quite heavy at 19lbs, it is a soft pack so needs to go in a back pack (not advisable) or in a rack bag or in large triangle bag. The battery is a safe chemistry format using lithium iron phosphate, the voltage range is very different to lion but they have very good life cycle. At 20ah it will get you some good miles maybe up to 40 with your power hungry kit.

These batteries are the price and discharge you have to look at for kits like you have bought, buying low power batteries is a waste of your money and you are better sending it to one of us to divvy up between us. We will then spend it far much better then you can.

Last edited:

Thatsadz

Apr 29, 2020
Let us know your controller's 'maximum current', or we won't be able to.
There is no label indicating the max current , there’s a lot of videos on YouTube where people are running 48v 1kw kits. Would a 500w kit be better for me to get. I’ve ordered the motor kit but I can try to cancel it

Thatsadz

Apr 29, 2020
Lifepo4 50a continuous this will work but the battery is quite heavy at 19lbs, it is a soft pack so needs to go in a back pack (not advisable) or in a rack bag or in large triangle bag. The battery is a safe chemistry format using lithium iron phosphate, the voltage range is very different to lion but they have very good life cycle. At 20ah it will get you some good miles maybe up to 40 with your power hungry kit.

It looks like a good battery but is a lot more than I have to pay I’m thinking of just going lower powered

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
You'd do better with a legal 250w geared kit. (or a 350w Yose one, not technically legal but nobody will notice the difference).

If you can cancel the 1kw one I certainly would. Suitable for fast fairly level off-road riding and not much else.

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Sony VTC5, cells rated 20a battery is 30a continuous. A soft pack with triangle frame bag. This is the cheapest best battery you will find with 20a rated cells.

Last edited:

Thatsadz

Apr 29, 2020
You'd do better with a legal 250w geared kit. (or a 350w Yose one, not technically legal but nobody will notice the difference).

If you can cancel the 1kw one I certainly would. Suitable for fast fairly level off-road riding and not much else.
A 500w kit from eBay runs me about £140 , is this the best option for a good 500w capable battery?

Advertisers