48v rear lights, what are our options?

handbaked

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
Hi guys

So im struggling to find much info on the subject heading. What are the options for us that want to have a permanent wired tail light that runs off our 48v bike battery? Anyone have any knowledge?

Can't seem to find many options at all.

Cheers.

atheo

Pedelecer
Jul 10, 2011
Beds..
Hi guys

So im struggling to find much info on the subject heading. What are the options for us that want to have a permanent wired tail light that runs off our 48v bike battery? Anyone have any knowledge?

Can't seem to find many options at all.

Cheers.
I have four Bangood red 12v Led`s wired in series fitted into a small project box.

Reactions: handbaked

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I use a Banggood front light with a red filter which works excellent and gives a good vibrant colour.

Reactions: SpezElec

SpezElec

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2015
like this idea of a red filter on a white light, I think rear lights is as important as front, what kind of filter did you use ,thanks

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I experimented with various pieces of red coloured plastics and at work they have red plastic folder sleeves A4. In the end I settled for red enamel paint , the 4 leds surface of the light is flat so I painted it and in front of that behind the screw on bezzle their is a clear plastic lens.

handbaked

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
I have four Bangood red 12v Led`s wired in series fitted into a small project box.
Nice. Good thinking. I could just recycle the housing of an old cateye rear light and for new leds. I presume you only have stationary lights not flashing?

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Humm not to sure about flashing led's in series ?
I may be wrong but the way I see it is in order to flash dosent the LED effectively switch its voltage on & off, in series none of the led's get a constant current so none will work.
I'm sure wiser minds will corect me if I'm wrong ;)

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Last edited:

handbaked

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
Humm not to sure about flashing led's in series ?
I may be wrong but the way I see it is in order to flash dosent the LED effectively switch its voltage on & off, in series none of the led's get a constant current so none will work.
I'm sure wiser minds will corect me if I'm wrong ;)
Ah damn. I didn't even consider this being a problem. That dc converter would do the trick but i can be waiting that ling for it as currently cycling in the dark with no lights in London and is not very fun. I think i will just contact the seller and ask for non-flashing so i cam stick to the plan of wiring in series.

How is it best to tap into the 48v source? Make a y-cable to split off the battery connector? Or is there a more elegant option?

Cheers

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
If you do buy a DC-DC converter be sure to get one that can handle the 56v of a fully charged 48v battery.

The one linked a above looks like it has 50v caps on it. It will blow.

Reactions: handbaked

handbaked

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
If you do buy a DC-DC converter be sure to get one that can handle the 56v of a fully charged 48v battery.

The one linked a above looks like it has 50v caps on it. It will blow.
Wise words. I have gone for the non flashing 12v. Will post up some pics of the lights im modifying when done.