48volt Tonaro

atheo

Pedelecer
Jul 10, 2011
Beds..
Hi
I'm seriously considering buying a 48v 10amp battery for the Tonaro,and I was wondering if I will need to upgrade the stock controller.I have a throttle fitted but tend to use the Pas more
TIA......

ll

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

IIRC you're right on the limit with the standard controller. These people do a complete upgrade kit. Idon't know what the shipping would be from Australia, but the price looks OK (Australian dollars).
500W Upgrade Kit |

atheo

Pedelecer
Jul 10, 2011
Beds..
Hi,
I emailed Australia only to be told that because of the lithium battery,they can`t air freight the kit.Ill have to find another source,

atheo

Pedelecer
Jul 10, 2011
Beds..
Hi,
Would any 48v-20amp e-bike controller from ebay be suitable for a 48v 10a/h battery,and would I need to change the power/display panel unit on the handle bar?
TIA....atheo

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

I think that 20 amps at 48v might be a bit high for that motor. Try 15 amps, and, if that's not enough, solder the shunt a bit.

I'd use the opportunity to update to an LCD controller. Any 48v brushless one will work. I can't remember if the Tonaro has hall sensors, if so, you have to get a sensored one or dual-mode. Normally, the controller and panel come as a set, except from BMSBattery, where you have a choice of panels, sp order separately. !5amp 48v controllers are not that common. Conhismotor sell them, but theirs doesn't have the connector for the wheel-speed sensor, so you won't get a correct speed reading. You'll have a motor speed indicator instead, which could be useful on a crank-drive.