500w/750w geared rear hub vs mid drive for off road use?

MikeFB

Pedelecer
Jun 25, 2020
So i have access to a piece of private land with rolling hills, dirt tracks. No jumps or any of that stuff, just a combination of fields, hills and some wooded areas.

My 250w road ebike isn't really suitable for this type of riding, plus I quite like to keep it for road use and not damage it.

Therefore I'm looking to do a DIY build with a mountain bike. Bike to be purchased depending on kit I go with, but probably stick with a used Giant, Specialized, Scott etc.

Please give reasons for or against:

1. 500w 48v vs 750w 48v

2. Geared rear hub vs mid drive with either wattage

For mid drive, currently looking at the Bafang BBS02B or Tongsheng TSDZ2 (bit concerned about issues with crank reliability). Need to keep costs down so can't stretch to BBSHD. Mostly concerned about mid drive chain/gear stress issues, so leaning towards geared rear hub, but can't seem to find anything suitable, except some generic kits? Any other make of kit to consider that's easily bought within the EU for under £400?

Not interested in gearless, as speed isn't important and there are a few hills and steep slopes on this land that I think the lack of torque from a DD would struggle with and get hot. Anyway not interested in anything big and heavy and over 750w. Am I right in this regard?

Oh and just for clarity, I am 180lbs and reasonably fit if that makes a difference?

Over to you knowledgeable people.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Have used the bafang bbs02 750watt mid-drive and several tsdz2 for off road use only . For outright pulling power its the bbs02 for max watts its the bbs02 for modification its the bbs02 the bbs02 will take a 52v battery the extra cost of the bbs02 over tsdz2 is minimal
The only minus point the bbs02 will require a larger capacity battery with good cells
Hope this helps

Reactions: MikeFB

MikeFB

Pedelecer
Jun 25, 2020
Have used the bafang bbs02 750watt mid-drive and several tsdz2 for off road use only . For outright pulling power its the bbs02 for max watts its the bbs02 for modification its the bbs02 the bbs02 will take a 52v battery the extra cost of the bbs02 over tsdz2 is minimal
The only minus point the bbs02 will require a larger capacity battery with good cells
Hope this helps
That's perfect. Much appreciate the info Peter. Although you could have mentioned bbs02 just one more time, that's my only complaint :)

Advertisers