6 months of petrol research is finished.

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Hi all,
I've just crunched the numbers on 6 months of petrol receipts.
I listed all my petrol use 6 months before I got my Kalkhoff Pro Connect (Dec 2007 to June 2008).
Then all my petrol use since I started commuting to work on my bike (June 2008 to Dec 2008).
The petrol use also includes my pleasure use of the car with my family (we all carnt get on the bike!).

Here are the figures.....

Spent before bike = £828.47
Spent after bike = £309.57.

The average spend on petrol before bike was 138.08 per month.
The average since the bike is now £51.60 per month.
The Average save by using the bike is £86.48 per month.

I've saved £518.90 in 6 months and im 10Ibs lighter and a lot fitter.

Yearly spend before the bike was £1656.94.
Yearly spend should now be £619.14
Yearly saving from now on should be £1037.80

The Pro Connect will have payed for its self in 16 months.

I hope this helps anyone when deciding if these bikes are cost effective enough.

PS you have to ride it to work EVERY day though!!!

Oh, and Sheffield has some of the cheapest petrol in the UK, so you're results could be even better !

Regards Bob.

Last edited:

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
Nice figures and a good saving you've collared yourself there :D

Factor in about 6p a mile for your bike, though, to cover your battery cost when needing replacement.

Vikki.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Well done Bob, just don't tell the boss, stick to the story of how hard life is becoming and how difficult it is to manage. :)

Great savings though, over a thousand a year very welcome at a time of recession when so many are struggling.

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Well done Bob, just don't tell the boss, stick to the story of how hard life is becoming and how difficult it is to manage. :)

Great savings though, over a thousand a year very welcome at a time of recession when so many are struggling.

I am struggling Tony!
Up those Sheffield hills though each day.
Its all for the better good though.
"Nothing that's easy is worth while" and all that stuff.

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
Brilliant Bob,
Thanks for posting this.. It just shows you how much we save taking the "e" option.

I am fast approaching my first year on the pedal commute and I am close to 60% of clawing back original cost savings on bus fares.. a few more months and I'll be running on profit.. ( if I ignore all the frills and spills)

BW
musicbooks

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Just think of the savings for the London ex car commuters who no longer pay the £8 per day congestion charge as well. :cool:

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Well based on a 5 day week, over 48 weeks (minus 4 weeks holiday per year)
that would save £1,920 a year just with no congestion charge.
If I lived in London. I would save £2957.80 combined with the petrol save.
I would have payed for the Pro connect in just 6 months.

Just think of the savings for the London ex car commuters who no longer pay the £8 per day congestion charge as well. :cool:

Last edited:

stranger

Pedelecer
Feb 7, 2009
New Forest. Hants.
My Powabyke went VOR just before all the snow and stuff--which wasn't all that long ago really was it, and I have already doubled my fuel use on the car. I usually put in two lots of £30 a month--and for half of February I have already used £60's worth and just put in the third lot of £30.

I do have a push-bike--but I find it exceedingly exhausting and tend to use the car rather than that.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Hi Bob. What is the total distance that you have covered on your Pro C since you have had it?

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Hi there Tillson.
That is one area have havn't been keeping track of really.
I dont have a cycle computer, I just use my Garmin eTrex on the bike occaisionally to get average spped when I feel my ride to work is getting faster. I ride at an average of 11.9mph to 12.9mph depending on the headwind and conditions.
I would say Ive done about 3,500 miles or maybe a little bit more.

Hi Bob. What is the total distance that you have covered on your Pro C since you have had it?

oldseal

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 21, 2009
If you read the whole post he says 6 months. So if he has been riding it 5 days a week (no cheating when its been raining), 4 weeks a month, 6 months, thats 30 miles per day. That is a very high number of miles! I don't do that in my car.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's not unreasonable though. When battery testing for eZee for two weeks short of six months from 14 January 2008, I covered 3784 miles.

I think we have other members who cycle these very high mileages annually.

Grumpy1

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2009
Wow, that's impressive stuff \flecc. BUt how on earth do you find the time to ride over 30 miles a day, and post over 10 000 posts on here? Do you have a stunt double?

Grumpy1

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2009
I thought maybe you had a wireless pda complete with bluetootk earpiece and a handlebar-mounted keyboard........post and cycle at the same time.:D

stokepa31_mk2

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 7, 2008
I do most of my posts on this forum via my iPhone now.
Nice to see your savings in petrol were spent on some new technology Bob:D

Knowing the pain you went through with getting hold of your Pro C i'm glad its doing the business for you. I've just got rid of both of my elecric bikes and went out for 12 miles on my muscle powered variety yesterday. Boy how i missed those amps.

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Hi there,
I havn't heard from you in ages.
Sad to hear you've got rid of the bikes.
Im sure you might miss them in the coming summer.
I hope the summer is has less rain than last year.
I hope things are well with you and yours.
Nice to see you still are using the forum!

Nice to see your savings in petrol were spent on some new technology Bob:D

Knowing the pain you went through with getting hold of your Pro C i'm glad its doing the business for you. I've just got rid of both of my elecric bikes and went out for 12 miles on my muscle powered variety yesterday. Boy how i missed those amps.