Wisper 705SE classic power switch?

rroh

Just Joined
Jul 2, 2020
I inherited a majestic Wisper 705SE, likely an early model because the battery is behind the seat tube and the pedal-assist is a simple 7-step assist. The battery innards were recently replaced and it charges perfectly, but cuts out almost immediately under load. When it cuts out, all indicators turn off - neither the handlebar control nor the on-battery power indicators show any life. I initially suspected the new battery, but when I turn the key to the off position and abck on again, the power sometimes comes back sometimes not. I am suspecting that the key switch has somehow become corroded or perhaps the contacts within have worn out.
1- Is there a simple way to test the switch? I assume that I can just open up the battery casing and bypass the switch?
2- If the switch is faulty, can it be repaired/replaced? It seems to be a more complex piece, incorporating both an electrical switch and a mechanical bolt to secure the battery on its bracket.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Rohh,

We can replace the lock for you, we have them in stock. Have a look in our On line shop. If you have problems please drop us a line.

All the best, David

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
There was one model of Wisper that had problems with melted fuse holders, so have a look at that. Another thing worth checking is the solder joints on the back of the key-switch. Re-melt them and give them plenty of heat just to make sure because they can look OK, but aren't.

rroh

Just Joined
Jul 2, 2020
Thank you vfr400 - I'll have a look at the solder joints tomorrow.

Thank you David; good to hear the part is available. Hopefully, I can pinpoint the problem!

Advertisers