78 Year Old Cyclist Dies in Edinburgh

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
And two cyclists were killed two days ago at Purley-on-Thames in a suspected police chase incident:

Link here

These cycling deaths are getting depressingly frequent.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Today, I have driven from Holyhead to Swansea, right down the length of Wales. Mostly the roads are single carriageway, no wider than urban streets. Many are bounded by stone walls and have no 'escape' room at all. I saw about 15 cyclists during my journey. Because most traffic is doing 60 mph and the bikes are doing about 15 mph, the disparate speeds cause severe risks for the cyclists. Many of these roads have been modernised in the past 10 years and it is blatantly obvious that no thought at all was given to cyclists.
Frankly, it would be safer for the cyclists to ride on the right hand side of the road and face oncoming traffic, as is recommended for walkers.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Today, I have driven from Holyhead to Swansea, right down the length of Wales. Mostly the roads are single carriageway, no wider than urban streets. Many are bounded by stone walls and have no 'escape' room at all.
I still remember from 2006 one of the most horrific accidents ever involving cyclists which was on just these sort of Welsh roads Mike.

A car coming round a blind bend ploughed into a group of 12 cyclists of the Rhyl Cycling Club, killing the front four including a teenage boy and injuring all the other eight. The bikes and riders were thrown as much as fifty feet away.

There was no prosecution because a freak patch of ice on the shaded bend had caused the car to slide outwards on the left hand bend, and police reported that this was one of their most dangerous roads in Wales.

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
I`m with Farage on this one. 1 or 2% skimmed off the foreign aid budget would provide a lot of miles of dedicated cycle paths.

We had a terrible, unrelated accident a few days ago in a local village. A 19 year old lad was riding a moped, when he hit a pothole. He was thrown from his moped, and run over by a following car. He was declared dead at the scene. In my opinion, modern mopeds are unsafe on today`s pot holed roads, as their wheels are too small. Bring back the NSU Quickly, and the original Honda Fifty.

Last edited:

Dynamic Position

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2009
Frankly, it would be safer for the cyclists to ride on the right hand side of the road and face oncoming traffic, as is recommended for walkers.
I came across this scenario last week when a cyclist was cycling contraflow in the cycle lane separated from the traffic by the regulatory dashed painted line. At first I thought the cyclist was on the pavement and only realised that he/she was on the road as we passed.
Looked very unsafe and too dangerous for me to ride a bike this way.

Advertisers