905 Torque basic questions

IanHurley

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 1, 2020
I have had my 905 torque a few months now and the bike is fine. It was new Jan 2019 but the poor chap who owned it has lost most of his sight so I bought it off him at the end of June. Reading the instruction book it says two things that I have a question about.
1 If the bike is to be left for more than 4 hours the battery should be removed. Why? I have switched the battery itself off, surely this would be enough?
2 The battery should be charged after each use. - Would it be better if I am doing only a few miles each day to use it until the displays 50% or 75% used and then do a full charge rather than a daily charge?
Maybe basic questions so it shows I am more than happy with the bike. It has the mid size battery fitted btw. :)

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
1. I've never heard of that before on any bike. My feeling is that it's bad advice because you can get connector damage when re-inerting the battery. I would love to hear the reason they wrote that.
2. It's better not to leave your battery fully charged for long periods, so charge your bike before you use it rather than after. You can let it go down to about 30% if you do lots of small journeys or a couple of medium ones. Always charge it to full.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I have had my 905 torque a few months now and the bike is fine. It was new Jan 2019 but the poor chap who owned it has lost most of his sight so I bought it off him at the end of June. Reading the instruction book it says two things that I have a question about.
1 If the bike is to be left for more than 4 hours the battery should be removed. Why? I have switched the battery itself off, surely this would be enough?
2 The battery should be charged after each use. - Would it be better if I am doing only a few miles each day to use it until the displays 50% or 75% used and then do a full charge rather than a daily charge?
Maybe basic questions so it shows I am more than happy with the bike. It has the mid size battery fitted btw. :)
Hi Ian,

Please take an image of those paragraphs and send them to me david@amps.bike

Maybe I’ve made an error.

There’s no need to disconnect the battery ever if you don’t need to.

What’s very important is never leave the battery completely discharged.

I recommend topping up but it’s not an instruction, it’s like having a full tank of fuel every time you go out.

I’ve just bought an e-car and top it up every day. It’s a personal preference.

if you are going to leave the bike unridden for more than a few weeks top it up to full before you put it to bed.

My car manufacturer recommends an 80% charge. And only charge to 100% if you are going to need it. We used to have an 80% charge circuit on our chargers for the same reason. I’m trying to discover whether we should be recommending the same.

All the best, David

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I only charge above 80% before a long ride otherwise the battery remains at the depleted charge, if not using a battery for some time I aim to keep between 50 - 80% with the occasional check every now and then.
For local use my most used ebike has the battery charged once every 30 - 40 miles and is one of two which gets rotated every other charge.

With my bikes not in regular use I always switch off my batts and remove them where possible., batteries with no switch can slowly drain over time so should not be left connected.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Here's another point about charging that might be relevant to some people,

A fully charged a battery is around 40v and around 30v when empty, so you only get 75% of the power from the motor when the battery is run down, and when the battery is half way down, you have a 12.5% less power than when full.

If you have a steep hill to climb, that 12.5% power can make a big difference.

In other words, if you struggle to get up any hills on your journey, always make sure that your battery is full before setting off.

IanHurley

Sep 1, 2020
Just to clear up a point I made at the beginning. The advice to remove the battery if not used for 4 hours was contained in the W108 display manual not in the Wisper manual itself

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Just to clear up a point I made at the beginning. The advice to remove the battery if not used for 4 hours was contained in the W108 display manual not in the Wisper manual itself
Hi Ian, not this is not only incorrect it's inadvisable. The W108 manual has been taken down and it is in the process of being re written. You can leave the battery connected to the bike forever if you wish. Just turn it off at the switch.

Thanks for your help on this one.

All the best, David

IanHurley

Sep 1, 2020
Thaks for your advice David - I am very impressed with the bike over about 1000 miles so far, I am very pleased to find such a quick response from you and, I ordered a sidestand about 2pm the other day and it arrived first thing with the postie the following morning. Glad I chose Wisper :)

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Advertisers