A full twist throttle

Andy1865

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2017
Evening All, does anybody know how to fix a throttle that sticks when twisted and does not spring back. Not in the habit of having the S@#! scared out of me lol. Thanks. Andy.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Replace it, the spring is probably weak, broken or dislodged could also be down to moisture/ rust.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Is it possible to take the throttle apart or would that not be possible?
yeah you can take it apart but imo its just less hassle to buy a new one or 2 ;)

• Agree
Reactions: tommie

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I would simply spray it well with WD-40, as this can free stuff up and it also prevents corrosion. Electrically its also good. Work the grip back and forth, clean off the excess once it works again.
WD-40 is safe on plastics and electronics....and is available almost everywhere, plus its not expensive....one can usually does years of work!
Once a year do the same BEFORE it starts!
In the RN years ago, the fuselage of our Helis was magnesium. Magnesium gets "eaten" by salt, and we were flying over salt water, we washed the whole fuselage down with WD-40 after each flight, I never saw the slightest sign of corrosion!
A light spray and wipe over will clean a bike frame and prevent/slow down corrosion at the same time!!
Wonderful stuff!

regards

Andy

Reactions: Andy1865

Andy1865

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2017
I would simply spray it well with WD-40, as this can free stuff up and it also prevents corrosion. Electrically its also good. Work the grip back and forth, clean off the excess once it works again.
WD-40 is safe on plastics and electronics....and is available almost everywhere, plus its not expensive....one can usually does years of work!
In the RN years ago, the fuselage of our Helis was magnesium. Magnesium gets "eaten" by salt, and we were flying over salt water, we washed the whole fuselage down with WD-40 after each flight, I never saw the slightest sign of corrosion!
A light spray and wipe over will clean a bike frame and prevent/slow down corrosion at the same time!!
Wonderful stuff!

regards

Andy
Andy, Cheers for that info. Thanks

Chainring

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Wonderful stuff!

regards

Andy
As it's Old Farts day, we used to spray WD40 into the engines of Nimrods after they had flown over the sea. I use TT Spray from Tetrosyl, which has a wax in it, that keeps the rust at bay, like Waxoyl. Asda maintenance spray is similar, if still available. Riding on salty roads on aluminium-framed bikes needs some maintenance.

Andy1865

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2017
As it's Old Farts day, we used to spray WD40 into the engines of Nimrods after they had flown over the sea. I use TT Spray from Tetrosyl, which has a wax in it, that keeps the rust at bay, like Waxoyl. Asda maintenance spray is similar, if still available. Riding on salty roads on aluminium-framed bikes needs some maintenance.
Cheers. Thanks for the info

J.B.

Pedelecer
May 23, 2016
Lincolnshire

Reference TT Tetrosyl, is this the stuff
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Double-TT-Maintenance-Spray-Lubricate-Penetrate-Protect-Aerosol-Multi-Use-400ml/123447438173?ul_ref=http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53481-19255-0/1?ff3=2&pub=5575376664&toolid=10001&campid=5338268676&customid=656439e7-c8b5-4788-a94b-e3fc446071ac&lgeo=1&item=123447438173&srcrot=710-53481-19255-0&rvr_id=1811076640093&rvr_ts=2a5d1db61680aad75e2606c8ffdbbde5&ul_noapp=true&pageci=9e81c2c6-a218-4e5a-b7f8-1b91bc8d8748&epid=1310905684&redirect=mobile
or is it a con. No mention of tetrosyl?

jarob10

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
Uk
Evening All, does anybody know how to fix a throttle that sticks when twisted and does not spring back. Not in the habit of having the S@#! scared out of me lol. Thanks. Andy.
All throttles do this, even from new in my experience

Strip down and apply silicon grease to moving parts should free it up. It’s an annual task.

Throttles only really need replacing when the hall sensor fails. Always have a spare, pre-lubed throttle on hand for such an eventuality. 108x throttles are the best I think.

Andy1865

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2017
All throttles do this, even from new in my experience

Strip down and apply silicon grease to moving parts should free it up. It’s an annual task.

Throttles only really need replacing when the hall sensor fails. Always have a spare, pre-lubed throttle on hand for such an eventuality. 108x throttles are the best I think.
So would you say WD 40 is ok for the throttle?

jarob10

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
Uk
So would you say WD 40 is ok for the throttle?
Not sure if wd40 would be compatible with the rubber seal

It’s plastic-plastic, low relative velocity we’re dealing with, so some type of grease is called for, but probably not a petrochemical based one.