A little confused!

Nixtoo

Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2016
i have just read about the change in the law. Am I correct in thinking that throttles are no longer legal unless restricted to 6kmh.
I was about to buy the GSM mid drive with 15ah battery. I've read that this won't work without the throttle connected.
I could get the bafung bbs01, its a bit more and comes with a lower capacity battery. Can this run without the throttle or would it need reprogramming first? would the bafang need a controller too?

I'm hoping to do the installation myself, hopefully not setting myself up to fail!

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I think the internal controller is being/has been reprogrammed to work without throttle. If you buy the GSM without internal controller it will work without throttle. You will need an 18 A controller and an external speed sensor.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
i have just read about the change in the law. Am I correct in thinking that throttles are no longer legal unless restricted to 6kmh.
That's correct, the pedelec-only control law was introduced on 6th April 2015, bringing us into line with the EU and some other countries around the world. It only applies to new bikes bought after that date, earlier e-bikes with independent throttles have "grandfather rights", permitting their ongoing use.

Reactions: mechaniker

Nixtoo

Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2016
Thanks for the replies. I emailed Andy at whoosh. He's ever so helpful. He said the GSM can be used without the throttle. I forgot to ask if it would work with only one break cut off. My gears and breaks are integrated so I figured as I'm losing the front gears anyway I could just change one over.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
You can keep your brakes and either find a "hidden wire brake switch" or buy a "horn" button that you will use as a motor cut off switch as I have done for my futur GSM build or take the switch out of the brake levers that come with the kit and adapt to your brake levers.

Lots of DIY fun ahead! :D

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Thanks for the replies. I emailed Andy at whoosh. He's ever so helpful. He said the GSM can be used without the throttle. I forgot to ask if it would work with only one break cut off. My gears and breaks are integrated so I figured as I'm losing the front gears anyway I could just change one over.
It does - my gsm works with no brakes switches or a single one. You don't need both

Nixtoo

Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2016
I've ordered the GSM motor with a 10ah battery. Excited about fitting it, just hope the battery is sufficient for the Lake District hills!

Hi,I believe you may fit the throttle but it must cease assistance at same speed as the pedal assist 25kph :)

Department for Transport guidelines Nov. 2015 referring to the Jan 2016 amendments. The section on use of throttle reads as follows:

"Power assistance - "Twist and Go" Because of the particular benefits for elderly and disabled users, pedal cycles providing electrical assistance without use of the pedals - usually called "Twist and Goes" - are included in the above GB classification provided they are capable of pedal operation and comply with the above restrictions on maximum motor power and assistance cut-off speed.

However, under European law5 new "Twist and Go" vehicles will, from January 2016, have to meet a range of technical requirements before they can be used on roads. This will normally be established by "type approval" at the manufacturing stage but importers and individuals will be able to seek an individual approval for vehicles that have not been type approved.

The full document can be viewed here:
http://www.brightonebikes.co.uk/upl...rottle_electrically-assisted-pedal-cycles.pdf

Cheers
Darren