A new hub to beat Rohloff?

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
This Norwegian company http://www.kindernay.com/ is launching a 14spd gear hub that is lighter than the rohloff. With a wider range and swapping between bikes? Could I be having a new dream bike build?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Nice spot D8ve! Looks very promising indeed.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Why would you want a wider range?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Reactions: D8ve

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
Looking at the (Norwegian) shop, they are offering the beta version for 10000 NOK. The intended price for the market version is 15000 NOK. That's 50% more than the price of a Rohloff, which is a proven product.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
That looks nice especialy the hydraulic shifting, is for 12mm axle though, or is that just another option, with QR also available?

Price is in line with Rohloff, which will make for some long awaited competion for Rohloff.

I have been running my Rohloff since 2004, having done a few cycle camping tours from Manchester to Scotland via the Lake District.

I can only say that my Rohloff gets better as each year passes.

Internal gear hub, or Crank Drive Gearbox like the Pinion is definatley the way forward for cycle transmissions, it is about time that the derailleur was relegated to the museum's.

Having said that Kindernay have got a very hard act to follow, if they want to take on Rohloff.

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
Looking at the (Norwegian) shop, they are offering the beta version for 10000 NOK. The intended price for the market version is 15000 NOK. That's 50% more than the price of a Rohloff, which is a proven product.
and 526% versus 544% and rohloffs are very robust,it's what makes them better all things being equal than say shimano 11 speed. It's great but I'd give it a year or two

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Rohloff distribute through ison distribution here in the UK, although Thorn aka SJ Cycles of Bridgewater have a direct account with Rohloff for there OEM Bikes.

Back in 2004 when I got my Rohloff prices were just £500 although 5 of us bought at the same time from the same Manchester bike shop, which helped the price.

The gear range on the Rohloff is fine for my riding, although the steps of 13% between each gear are quite close, and probably overkill for ebike use, I would imagine that the Kindernay has steps of around 18% or so probably better suited to Ebikes than the Rohloff.

For a none ebike, riding a Rohloff is a dream, compared to using a Derailure with all those duplicated gears.

Reactions: D8ve

Advertisers