A shelf for a dog basket?

SanSan

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2019
Hi everyone,

I am looking for a product or diy advice to fit a shelf above my existing racktime rack.

The problem is we have a new little dog (chiwawa/wippet cross) and I need to make him somewhere to sit on the bike, which already has two Ortlieb bags.

The Ortlieb bags clip onto the rack and these quick release clips stand up from the rack about an inch, thus preventing me from fitting a shelf.

We need a frame which effectively makes the rack "double-decker" so I can gain access to the bags and mount a dog basket on the shelf.

I have searched the www without success and wondered if anyone else has had the same problem?

Thanks, San

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hi everyone,

I am looking for a product or diy advice to fit a shelf above my existing racktime rack.

The problem is we have a new little dog (chiwawa/wippet cross) and I need to make him somewhere to sit on the bike, which already has two Ortlieb bags.

The Ortlieb bags clip onto the rack and these quick release clips stand up from the rack about an inch, thus preventing me from fitting a shelf.

We need a frame which effectively makes the rack "double-decker" so I can gain access to the bags and mount a dog basket on the shelf.

I have searched the www without success and wondered if anyone else has had the same problem?

Thanks, San
I myself, would place a suitable basket on the handlebars, not at the back, then you can keep an eye on him/her.....
....In fact, you may find what you need on ebay....but making one would also be simple.
I would myself weld something up in stainless steel if required.
regards
Andy

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016
Hi everyone,

Thanks, San
Hi SanSan,
One of these might be what you are after

• Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

SanSan

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2019
Thank you all for your advice and help. The handebars already have a sizeable Nyon and a large skull mounted on them, so I have opted to build my own from Alloy tubing and connectors to fit a standard veg basket (like the Tern Cargo eBikes) then convert the basket into a sturdy dog basket. I will post the final solution for everyone once it's finished.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Thank you all for your advice and help. The handebars already have a sizeable Nyon and a large skull mounted on them, so I have opted to build my own from Alloy tubing and connectors to fit a standard veg basket (like the Tern Cargo eBikes) then convert the basket into a sturdy dog basket. I will post the final solution for everyone once it's finished.
IMHO, that is exactly the right way to go!
Add a small cushion for your little dog, with a layer of medium foam rubber, to suck up the bumps!
Good work.
Andy

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
Hi, I don't know if this design idea can be modified to create a shelf.