A sight seen today 11.13am 07/07/08

derrick7

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2007
Llanberis LL55 4TD (Snowdonia)
I have just seen a Chinook "chopper" with a Sea King "chopper" dangling beneath it,flying 500ft over Lyn Padarn (Llanberis). The Sea King, partly dismantled, the rotor blades taken off. It suffered a breakdown whilst on a mountain rescue mission yesterday, just up the road (the Llanberis Pass).

Nothing to do with anything, I just thought it might interest someone!

Derrick - Llanberis

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I hope the rescue mission got completed ok without the Sea King.

That certainly was an unusual sight, and it's a certainty the Sea King will never be able to return the favour for the Chinook!

derrick7

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2007
Llanberis LL55 4TD (Snowdonia)
A sight seen today 11.13am 07/07/08 again

No, I planned getting a photo because I knew yesterday that the lift was going to take place (several of the Llanberis Mountain Rescue team are friends of mine) but the rain was so heavy I stayed in the house. I live 500yds from Lyn Padarn but was not quick enough to get my camera out, besides while I had clear vision all I would have in a photo is a lot of raindrops!

Derrick - Llanberis

P.S. Yes, the rescue was successful, the team had a very long carry with the stretcher.
The Sea King suffered a big leak from the hydraulics & it blew out next to the exhaust (a design fault??)
the oil is at 3000psi & the leak forms a flammable cloud, the crew had to get out very fast!! Luckily the Sea King
was on the ground, at the time, otherwise it could have been a disaster, but there was no explosion, or fire.

P.S.S. The rain has stopped & even some sunshine, now the event (lift) has passed, I think that's called Sods Law!

Last edited:

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Thanks - very impressive. Even more so when you listen to the sound, the Chinook rotor noise doesn't appear to change at all as it starts to take the load!

Wonder what they would bring in if a Chinook broke down...:eek:

Simon
Theoretically, another Chinook. Single hook lift capacity = 26,000 Lbs.

An empty Chinook weighs around 20,000 Lbs

Bob.

Advertisers