A simple question about suspension.

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Hello to you all,

I'm slightly confused here,please can anyone help by answering this question,now is it possible to install rear suspension to any bike/ebike or not? i am aware that you can buy a full suspension front and rear bike,but if possible i may consider doing so.

Secondly,which is the best overall,a quality top of the range suspension seat post or a bike with a normal seat post with front and rear suspension? in terms of comfort.

Mountainsport.... THANKYOU xxxxxxxxxx

hech

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2011
argyll
Hullo to you mountainsport, I sympathise because confusion is also my de facto state of mind and I too know very little about bikes. With a stout hacksaw and good welding skills full suspension is within your grasp, without, a good suspension seatpost is your best bet. Personally I like full suspension because it is more forgiving when you hit the ground which is good if you have old knees. Some other old kneedy gentlemen (like flecc) dont like it because of efficiency loss and the general lack of backbone and stiff upper lip that may result.

D

Deleted member 4366

Suspension seatposts are better than nothing, but not by much. If you want comfort, it has to be quality full suspension like Rockshox, Fox, Marzocchi, etc. You don't have to worry about any loss of efficiency with full suspenion on an electric bike because you don't pedal hard enough for it to make a difference.

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Thanks for that hech,

And to put it all in a nut shell you do know much more about bikes than i do,why such modesty LOL

Mountainsport..... MODESTY IS THE BEST POLICY.

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Thanks d8veh,

For sharing with me your knowledge,well appreciated.

Mountainsport..... KNOWLEDGE IS POWER AND MORE POWER LEADS TO GREED.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Being fairly light, I've yet to find that any suspension seatpost even works for me. The only things that work for comfort are true suspension or comfort tyres like the Schwalbe Big Apples.

So you can add some real comfort to an existing bike with those or similar balloon tyres, and another after-market way is the Pantour hub, expensive but which takes the harshness out of the road shocks.

Peter Woodier

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 9, 2013
A, A
I have spinal arthritis so a smoother ride is essential. I have a suspension post with a sprung gel saddle and two gel covers, which I have ensured will not slip off. This is ideal for me. Laughable to normal cyclists, but do I care? :)

Last edited:

Advertisers