A small mod for the Bafang BBSxx

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
2015-05-07-018.jpg
Unless you are using really long mudguards on your bike, a lot of crud gets flicked up from the front tyre and onto the chainring and chain.

This isn't particularly good for a drive system that needs the chain to be clean, for smooth gear changing and low drivetrain wear.

I came up with a small mod today, to help protect the front end of the chain and chainring from the stuff that gets flicked off the tyre.

2015-06-04-035.jpg
It's not a particularly attractive solution and might still need a bit of tweaking to the position, but anything that helps keep the chain clean on a ride, is useful in my eyes.

I'm on the lookout for a molded piece of plastic, that will cover more of the front and look more aesthetically pleasing.

Jim R

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 4, 2015
Good idea, I think I'll try and come up with a similar mod. Looks like you have the same setup as me right down to the battery, may I ask a quick question, does the battery sometimes spark when you plug the charger in? Mine has started to do that (it's always off at the wall socket when I plug in) or is there a problem? Thanks in advance

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Good idea, I think I'll try and come up with a similar mod. Looks like you have the same setup as me right down to the battery, may I ask a quick question, does the battery sometimes spark when you plug the charger in? Mine has started to do that (it's always off at the wall socket when I plug in) or is there a problem? Thanks in advance
Mine used to do the same, when I connected the charger to the battery in the same way as you.

Now, I switch the charger on, so the green light is on, then plug the lead into the battery. Hasn't sparked since doing it this way :)

Jim R

Apr 4, 2015
Excellent, I'll give that a try. Cheers for the advice....

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Mine used to do the same, when I connected the charger to the battery in the same way as you.
Now, I switch the charger on, so the green light is on, then plug the lead into the battery. Hasn't sparked since doing it this way :)
I am sure the charger should be switched on before connecting the battery, that's what I always do too.

Jim R

Apr 4, 2015
Just tried it like that a couple of times and it worked a treat, no sparks. Thanks again

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I am sure the charger should be switched on before connecting the battery, that's what I always do too.
We had this discussion on another thread. The instructions that my battery came with, states to connect the battery first, then switch on charger.

I found that this always caused a spark on the battery terminal, and I could see that it was damaging the contacts in the battery charge socket.

Now, no spark, no damage :)

D

Deleted member 4366

The charger has a capacitor across the output. Normally, the capacitor would be charged when you plug it in to the mains, but if you don't plug it in, it'll charge ftom the battery. Like when you join a battery to a controller, you get a sudden inrush of charge to the capacitor. It looks worse than it is, but there's a small chance it could damage your BMS, and it definitely erodes the contact area on your charging jack/socket, so I still think it's better to plug in and switch on the charger first, despite what other people tell you.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
it definitely erodes the contact area on your charging jack/socket
It's surprising how quickly it knackers the contact area Dave. I could see damage after only half a dozen connections.