A sudden problem with my Tongsheng TSDZ2?

AlexH

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 9, 2021
Hi all you wise people,

Yesterday I did something wrong and I´m paying a price :(
I have driven my kit 1800km with no problem, byt yesterday I turned it off by mistake midst of biking and turned it on with weight on the pedals. The set went bananas, and the assist is now erratic, I am not able to get into the setup with the 3sec i+start-buttons, no speed or distance and just showing miles....I am not able to get into the setup.

Is there reboot option somewhere...?

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Hi all you wise people,

Yesterday I did something wrong and I´m paying a price :(
I have driven my kit 1800km with no problem, byt yesterday I turned it off by mistake midst of biking and turned it on with weight on the pedals. The set went bananas, and the assist is now erratic, I am not able to get into the setup with the 3sec i+start-buttons, no speed or distance and just showing miles....I am not able to get into the setup.

Is there reboot option somewhere...?
I don't have experience of this motor, but try disconnecting the battery for an hour or so, then reconnect and turn on in the normal manner and I would hope it would reboot normally providing no damage has been done.

Reactions: AlexH

AlexH

Jun 9, 2021
I don't have experience of this motor, but try disconnecting the battery for an hour or so, then reconnect and turn on in the normal manner and I would hope it would reboot normally providing no damage has been done.
Thank you,
but had the battery off since yesterday...and still nothing :(.
I removed the speed magnet from the rear wheel. That seemed to sort out the erratic assist , but still locked out of the setup :(

Reactions: jimriley

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Oh ok, hopefully someone else with knowledge and experience of this motor will be along to offer you a solution. Any error codes showing?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Taking the battery off is not enough. You have to discharge the capacitors by shorting the two connections on the motor after removing the battery. I don't think the chance of it fixing your problem is high, but certainly my worth trying.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
High chance you have corrupted the controller settings the torque sensor throws a wobbly if you have pressure on the pedals when it powers back up
If the capacitor discharge does not work its a reflash with the open source settings they have a fix for this bug

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
If youv'e not already spotted it, this thread may be of use if going down the reflash route.

AlexH

Jun 9, 2021
Taking the battery off is not enough. You have to discharge the capacitors by shorting the two connections on the motor after removing the battery. I don't think the chance of it fixing your problem is high, but certainly my worth trying.
Thank you.
Any risk of scrambling it up any worse... :/?

AlexH

Jun 9, 2021
High chance you have corrupted the controller settings the torque sensor throws a wobbly if you have pressure on the pedals when it powers back up
If the capacitor discharge does not work its a reflash with the open source settings they have a fix for this bug
Thank you.
Sounds probable.... :/

The reflash sounds computery. Not sure if my skills go that far....

AlexH

Jun 9, 2021
Would this be by short circuiting P+ and P-?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Would this be by short circuiting P+ and P-?
Yes, on the motor side of the connector, not the battery. There's a capacitor right across those wires in the controller, which can stay charged for days in some cases, which is why, you can see the LCD flash on and off when you attempt to switch on when the battery isn't even connected. I suppose you could also drain it by switching on the LCD with the battery disconnected, but I'm old school. I like to see the spark and know that it's done.

AlexH

Jun 9, 2021
Yes, on the motor side of the connector, not the battery. There's a capacitor right across those wires in the controller, which can stay charged for days in some cases, which is why, you can see the LCD flash on and off when you attempt to switch on when the battery isn't even connected. I suppose you could also drain it by switching on the LCD with the battery disconnected, but I'm old school. I like to see the spark and know that it's done.
Sadly did not resolve the issue....:(, so does this imply that the problem would be in the controller, not the motor unit?

...off to flash which one, then?

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Just sold my bike with the tsdz2 do not think i will ever buy another Tongsheng motor
The build quality has suffered in recent times not that it was ever spot on and the bugs still persist, even the 2020 model update caused new problems but others running the open source seem to be making progress

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
Just sold my bike with the tsdz2 do not think i will ever buy another Tongsheng motor
The build quality has suffered in recent times not that it was ever spot on and the bugs still persist, even the 2020 model update caused new problems but others running the open source seem to be making progress
Have to agree. The BBS01/02 or even HD is a much better option for a DIY mid motor!
The open source looks good but way too much of a faff to install.

Plus the risk of turning into an even bigger brick is also present!