a techie question....

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
I have a 'Kudos' tourer 8 spd, with 700c wheels,

What effect would changing the wheel size have on the bikes' computer, would that alter the riding characteristics in any way, I.E extending the battery range ,speed, or torque,

Not done anything with it, just figuring things out?

D

Deleted member 4366

I have a 'Kudos' tourer 8 spd, with 700c wheels,

What effect would changing the wheel size have on the bikes' computer, would that alter the riding characteristics in any way, I.E extending the battery range ,speed, or torque,

Not done anything with it, just figuring things out?
You can change the settings in most Chinese LCD displays to adjust speed limits, wheel size etc, so everything should be similar afterwards. The main difference would be that your gearing would be a tiny bit lower, so you'd be pedalling slightly faster and you'd get slightly better hill-climbing. I doubt that it'd have much effect on range if you reset the computer.

A lot depends on what tyres you fit. I'm assuming that you fit the same type but smaller.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
700c is the biggest wheel size setting on the LCD, the OP can only change it to 26" or 20", the change can only make the bike worse, speedo will show lower mph, odometer fewer miles.
Simply change the speed limit to derestrict the bike and keep wheel setting to 700C will gain some extra top speed and support past 15mph. Replacing wheels with smaller wheels is not doable.

Last edited:

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
Not wanting to change wheels! just the parameters on the 'lectronic gubbins to enhance performance, tho' it seems to take me up to around 17mph at the moment,the one thing would like to achieve is to increase endurance of the pwr pack, but I can do that by pedalling!

D

Deleted member 4366

The motor speed is limited by its design. It's speed depends on the battery voltage, which varies between 42v and 34v during use, so that alone can make a 20% difference in speed from start to finish of one ride. That's another reason that you should always charge after every ride.

You need to release the speed limit on the display by setting it to the maximum (normally 40 kph), then you can see how fast your motor will spin with a fully charged battery. You need a cycle computer for that. If you find that the motor only spins at 17mph with the speed limit removed, then that's as fast as it'll go without a booster battery. Assuming that the motor can spin faster, the faster you set the limit, the less range you'll get, but only on the max PAS setting and throttle. The other PAS settings will probably remain the same because they are actually speed limits.

Changing the wheel-size on the display will throw the speed measurement out. You shouldn't need to do that. Just change the speed limit.