Accelerator for Carrera Crossspath

StuartBB

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 24, 2018
Hi , my partner has just purchased a Carrera Crosspath electric bike and we are wondering if an independent accelerator can be fitted onto the bike? Can anyone advise? Thank you, Stuart

StuartBB

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 24, 2018
maybe i meant to say a 'throttle' so my partner could ride it without peddling on some occasions

Slartibartfast

Pedelecer
Jan 4, 2019
I am sure someone will be along to correct me/confirm it, but by law an e bike cannot go above 4mph without being pedal assisted. Lots of (mainly hub drives) have a 'walk' button that does just that, allows you to walk the bike at 4mph. Put a throttle on it and it becomes classified as a moped and you will need to insure it, MOT it, have a licence, and so on.

Reactions: artspeck

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You can use a throttle is if it is not stand alone use, that means pedal to activate it first then when you release the throttle you have to pedal again first.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The Crosspath and Crossfuse are both Bosch so no throttle option.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I am sure someone will be along to correct me/confirm it, but by law an e bike cannot go above 4mph without being pedal assisted. Lots of (mainly hub drives) have a 'walk' button that does just that, allows you to walk the bike at 4mph. Put a throttle on it and it becomes classified as a moped and you will need to insure it, MOT it, have a licence, and so on.
Pre 2016 bikes can have legal throttles, both mine have.

Reactions: artspeck

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes as Mike say's pre 2016 stand alone throttle is allowed post 2016 pedal activated f. The post option is not so bad, it prevents accidental throttle op and only a partial light pedal rotation is required to activate the throttle.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Woosh

Slartibartfast

Pedelecer
Jan 4, 2019
Aah, I wonder if the op has a new bike as I suspect, or got a pre 2016 one? My wife has a Crosspath and it does have a walk button on it that is inactive.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Aah, I wonder if the op has a new bike as I suspect, or got a pre 2016 one? My wife has a Crosspath and it does have a walk button on it that is inactive.
Hi , my partner has just purchased a Carrera Crosspath electric bike and we are wondering if an independent accelerator can be fitted onto the bike? Can anyone advise? Thank you, Stuart
I will mention it again the Bosch drive bikes don't allow or cater for a throttle whether pre or post 2016), being a German brand they comply with most EU law countries throttles are illegal.
It is only the UK where we have a our own laws where under certain circumstances one is allowed. Generally this is limited to bikes and kits from the Orient.