Accessories for a bike

TheBag

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2019
Hi guys,

A big thank you for everyone that helped me select a bike.

For anyone not involved in that thread, I ended up buying an ex display Cube Cross Hybrid Pro 400 for £1350 when all the discounts were considered.

Given I am a complete novice when it comes to biking of any sort, I would like to know what I need to purchase to go along with it and any recommendations of parts.

So far I have added it to my home insurance so it is covered against theft etc, and signed up to British Cycling for liability cover (thanks to another pedelecs post for the information).

In my list of things to purchase so far, I have (although no idea what's good etc):
  • Helmet (any recommendations of something not too expensive that is "good enough"?)
  • Mudguards (no idea which ones are good and in which size etc)
  • Rack
  • Lights
  • Lock (I think it needs to be gold rated for my home insurance covered, whatever that means)
  • Bell
If there's anything I'm missing and if there are any recommendations on parts. I am only using the bike for a few miles a day so I don't want to spend crazy amounts on accessories, so whatever will do the job that will last is good.

Thanks for your help!

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
Hi, congratulations on the new bike.

I would add:

1. A small /medium seatpack / rackbag.
2. Puncture repair kit
3. Tyre levers
4. A multitool
5. Spare innertube.
6. Pump.

Thanks, happy riding.

Reactions: TheBag and Tarka

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Accessories make your bike heavier. For each one kilogram you add, you have to pedal 1% harder up the hills to go the same speed. Only fit or take accessories that will give you a positive benefit, and where possible, only take things that you need for the journey or task that you have in hand. Think about flexible systems, like lights that can be easily removed when you don't need them. The same with racks and luggage. It's much easy and more flexible to carry anything in a simple shoulder bag when you need it than to go everywhere with a heavy rack and panniers just in case you might need them. My mate used to take two 700mm drink bottles everywhere. For most journeys, he only ever had one short sip. That's 1.5kg for nothing.

Reactions: TheBag

TheBag

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2019
Thanks for the input guys I think I've got everything sorted now except the mudguards. I don't understand what all the different sizings are and whether or not specific mudguards will fit my bike.

I had someone tell me that because my bike has a front suspension fork, traditional mudguards might not fit (whatever a tradition mudguard definition is).

The ones I was going to buy were these but can anyone tell me if they will fit my bike?

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I have a frame bag on each of my bikes containing just enough to get me out of trouble. Innertube, patches, pump, small multi tool, folding pliers and a few disposable gloves. One bag permanently on each bike so I don’t need to remember to sort out kit before I leave, you just know you’ll get a flat the one time you forgot your kit ;)

TheBag

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2019
I'll take a couple of bits with me but will be leaving my bike at the station during the day so bags full of stuff is not really an option for me.

It's not really a super long distance so if I did get a puncture, I'd probably just walk it home anyway

Deno

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2018
Dublin
These brackets fitted the front shocks of my Cube eMTB, make sure you check your strut diameter as there are different sizes.

Reactions: TheBag