Help! Add lcd to a kit that dosent have one.

Gordon burns

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 22, 2019
Alloa
Hey first post in the group, I built a decent 1000w 48v 20ah bike, the kit was from China and was one that dosent come with an lcd display, I was thinking about adding one to the existing kit but not 100% on how to hard wire it in if even possible, or would I be best getting a new controller with LCD attachment. Thanks, sorry if this is a pure novice wu I Realy just don't know.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A kit without LCD will most likely not have a controller configured to use one.
The controller needs a 5 wire connector and needs to be programmed, you will have to bite the bullet and get a controller and matching LCD.
Show us a link for your kit.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The controller is not configured to use a lcd so no way to add one.
The throttle 3 spd switch is analogue.
The lcd3 you have bought will need a KT sine wave controller if you want it to work, also it doesn't look like you have PAS so you will need a 10 or 12 pole PAS/disc sensor to go with the controller and a smaller throttle unit. By using a KT you get 5 levels of PAS all giving different torque levels and better control.
You will have to play about with a new connector for the 6 Hall wires as KT's use a different connector.

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
This is the compatible controller.

If your battery can do 40 amps continuous, you can get the 40 amp version.

Cut all those ridiculous connect things off and solder the wires directly for the battery and motor phase wires.

Gordon burns

Jun 22, 2019
Alloa

Cut all those ridiculous connect things off and solder the wires directly for the battery and motor phase wires.
Wow, thank you m8 this is exactly the help I was needing. I'll order this next week and get cracking on with it. Thanks again for your very knowledgeable reply.

Gordon burns

Jun 22, 2019
Alloa

Hi can I ask you another question, I got a dead man switch like u get on jet bikes n quads with the pull off cord, I was wondering if I can wire that into the break cut of wire as I don't use the ebrakes. Thought it woukd be a good safety move incase throttle sticks or gets rain damaged I can just pull the cord?