Add power selector to old Powacycle

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
Hi all,
I have an old Powacycle Salisbury which has been great - however, now that I have bought my wife a modern carrera I can compare the old and new feature. The only thing that I miss on my old bike is the power selector. I go along canal paths and footpaths a lot and sometimes the power from my bike wants to push me fast than I want to go.
It would be great if there was some way of adding a power selector to it - low medium high sort of thing.

Has anyone done this - and how???

thanks

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Your motor controller doesn't have provision for that. The easiest way to get what you want would be to buy a replacement controller that provides a range of power levels.

If you have a throttle, you can change it to a thumb throttle and add a friction lever to turn it into a cruise control. you set it to the speed you want to go at, then use the brakes with cut-off switches to to regulate your progress. Description here,

Reactions: Michael Price

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
Thanks - I d have a throttle so I could do something like that. However I would really like to do it by pedalling, which would also give me a possibility of setting a lower power level to get more exercise - so I will look at the motor controller idea
Has anyone ever done this - does anyone know where the controller is on a Powacycle??

Thanks

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It's normally in the compartment under the battery. You have to show us which version bike you have if you want more info.

Reactions: AlanRHB

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You should get the 15 amp sine wave controller from PSWPower.com. In the options select the LCD3 and the speed sensor. Your throttle, pedal sensor and brakes will work with it, but you might have to rewire a couple of connectors. If you want to guarantee compatibility of connectors, you can buy the throttle and pedal sensor as well. The whole lot will cost about £60 to £70 including postage.

That controller will make a massive improvement to your bike. It'll completely transform it into a new bike.

AlanRHB

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2019
Sorry to resurrect this thread ... thank you for the sketched wiring diagram Michael, it may be very useful to me ...
Thank you for all valuable advice throughout these forums vfr400, having recently aqquired a Probike Mercury of unknown age, I see many similarities with the Powacycle step through models as well as other “Dutch style” bikes.

This topic has interested me as my Probike is 250v rear hub with 24 v SLA battery which slides in behind the seat with connectors into the controller below the bottom (pedal) bracket
This battery is dead to the world, but I have jury rigged two mobility scooter SLA AGM 33ah 12v batteries just to check that all runs well, which it does to my delight.

A solid, tidy older ebike to help with my rejuvenation ... perhaps even “resurrection ...
(72yrs with COPD, artheritis and ongoing treatment for cancer...

Rather than hijack Michaels topic, I will eventually open a new one to ask opinions on various plans for my first ebike.
In the meantime I will continue to peruse this incredible treasure trove of advice and ideas.
A big thank you to all contributors... Alan