Adding a second motor

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi Jed

One A to B magazine reader wrote in with photo and details of a bike he'd spotted. It was Giant Lafree Twist with a Heinzmann front hub motor added to supplement the pedelec chain drive of the Lafree. As 24 volt motors, both were able to use the Lafree's neat battery, but in addition there was a tiny generator on the carrier, looked similar to the quiet little Honda job.

Control was Twist and Go for the Heinzmann and the usual pedelec for the Lafree. Power options were, no assist, either one of the motors, or with the generator running, both motors and two wheel drive with pedalling. Maximum charging power was 240 watts, net weight 36 kilos, and all very highly illegal of course. There was no info on the Heinzmann gear option on it, I'd have chosen the high geared one for 19 mph, since the Lafree's drive via the gears could do all the hill climbing needed.

On a legal tack, I was looking at the possibility of a Cyclone with changeover switching on my Torq since that could give the steep hill and trailer towing ability the Torq lacks, and the Cyclone motor is light. Unfortunately the Cyclones only come in 24volt or 48 volt versions, not the 36 volt I'd need to run on the Torq's battery. Pity, there looked to be just enough space for the Cyclone, though the cross mounting bars might have been a bit short. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
For the bike on eBay (which seems to have sold now btw) I would be interested to hear how both motors are controlled. Are they independent of one another? If so, that is a pretty complicated setup and could be quite interesting in an emergency stop situation!

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
A second motor for hills

I liked the thought of the cyclone added to the Torq but the man at ernsbikes said it lacked power. I think the Cyclone 2 may have been introduced since my enquiry about 4 weeks ago.
I am fascinated by the IZip motor kit, particularly now that there is a choice of Battery types and the NiMH option saves a few quid over the Li-ion option.
The Roller brake on the Torq would have to be removed but there seems to be just enough room to fit a V Brake on those otherwise unoccupied stubs.
The IZip also has an option of a Hall effect lever control (two twist grips might confuse the elderly) which might have a 'sticky' zone to maintain an output without holding on to it.
One would have the option of not using the IZip until the hill became too much for the Torq motor + available human effort..
That would also effectively increase the range (so long as one was content with 15.5 mph - even up real hills!!).
Am I dreaming??
Pete

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The big problem Pete, is that the Torq uses a 36 volt battery and the Currie motor 24 volts, means two batteries, making the whole outfit very heavy and illegal. A second 36 volt motor more suited to hill climbing would allow the power to be switched across and keep the bike legal since only one motor could be in use. Trouble is, I don't know of such a 36 volt motor that's suitable.

The Cyclone motor could just be squeezed onto the Torq with a bit of modification, but again it's 24 volt or 48 volt.

A Quando rear wheel rebuilt as a 28" would make the Torq fully motorised. It wouldn't have any gears, but with two of those motors, it wouldn't need pedalling! :D

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
One or two batteries

Agreed the Currie has a 24 volt requirement (as does the Cyclone).
BUT one would not want to "switch" the battery between one motor and the other. Illegal or Not (like delimited Torqs):rolleyes: I would like two motors running simultaneously when the going got steep (over 5% to me) and that would have a serious draining capability on one battery. With two batteries and the 24 volt only used (initially) on real hills there would be some reserve capacity to be used (on the Currie of course) if the 36 volt ran out. That is unless one were riding the "Route des Alps".
Just a thought: wouldn't that be fantastic!! A series of rides 10 km up at 10% and 40 km down at 5% - 10% freewheeling, day after day.
Reminds me of the long lost youth (61): two days traveling gently up to the watershed between Mediterranean and Atlantic in the Auverge and then next day 74 km down to the Rhone with hardly a pedal turned in a sweat.
Peter

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That sounds great! :)

I have been looking at the second motor running as well option. The Currie is easiest to add, but the Torq hub brake would have to get the chop, no problem as the V brake that was on the prototype can be reinstated. The mountings are there, and the extra braking power would be needed with the likelyhood of generally faster speeds.

The new Powacycle Li-polymer battery could be an option to keep overall weight down, as it's only a bit over two kilos but it might starve the Currie of current a bit.

The Cyclone is a tricky option, and would require some mods on the Torq. The controller would need to be mounted a bit higher, at least up against the lock mounting, and possibly would need to be relocated. It's very "iffy" whether the standard mounting crossbars would be suitable, since the Torq rear frame suddenly widens in a way normal frames don't. The Torq's stand mounting isn't compatible so that would have to go.

It's R/H twistgrip isn't compatible with the mounting of the Shimano gearshifter, so might have to be mounted back to front with it's drum on the end of the handlebar, with the twist direction backwards. One way round that if it's a standard Hall effect twistgrip would be to buy a spare Torq twistgrip and mount that drum outboard on the right. Since it's a left twistgrip, the rotation would then be correct.

The fact that there's only a 44 tooth freewheeling chainwheel for the Cyclone is another problem, since that substantially gears down the bike, the opposite of what's needed with a faster two motor bike.

All in all, those make the Cyclone a troublesome choice.

For the rich, a BionX would be good in the rear wheel, especially if an imported one with the 350 watt motor, and it would be the only quiet option amongst these, important not to draw attention to it given the illegality.

Last edited:

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
That sounds great! :)

I have been looking at the second motor running as well option. The Currie is easiest to add, but the Torq hub brake would have to get the chop, no problem as the V brake that was on the prototype can be reinstated. The mountings are there, and the extra braking power would be needed with the likelyhood of generally faster speeds.

I was not thinking of faster more of "sustained" plus hillclimbing ability'

The new Powacycle Li-polymer battery could be an option to keep overall weight down, as it's only a bit over two kilos but it might starve the Currie of current a bit.

Not worried about the odd kilo or two with all that power available: on the "Route des Alps" a second battery with any set up (even basic Torq with Lance on the pedals) would be a 'weight off one's mind'. But agreed battery choice (since one is acquiring a kit) has many options, although 24V might be a tad limiting.

The Cyclone is a tricky option, and would require some mods on the Torq. The controller would need to be mounted a bit higher, at least up against the lock mounting, and possibly would need to be relocated. It's very "iffy" whether the standard mounting crossbars would be suitable, since the Torq rear frame suddenly widens in a way normal frames don't. The Torq's stand mounting isn't compatible so that would have to go.

I think there's too much modification required to accommodate the Cyclone. A big beefy Cyclone 2 would be nice on a lightweight MTB/Hybrid. with loads of spare batteries of course

It's R/H twistgrip isn't compatible with the mounting of the Shimano gearshifter, so might have to be mounted back to front with it's drum on the end of the handlebar, with the twist direction backwards. One way round that if it's a standard Hall effect twistgrip would be to buy a spare Torq twistgrip and mount that drum outboard on the right. Since it's a left twistgrip, the rotation would then be correct.

The Cyclone offers a thumb lever with hall effect whatsits, and I see the latest Currie Drive does too.

The fact that there's only a 44 tooth freewheeling chainwheel for the Cyclone is another problem, since that substantially gears down the bike, the opposite of what's needed with a faster two motor bike.

I have already modified my Torq with a 44 chainwwheel and a 13 - 32 cassette: although i've only had one test ride I found the three top gears adequate for 'cruising at 15.5 mph. according to the "up" gradient (1 -2 %). I always freewheel downhill as a matter of principle. I can restore the 12 tooth sprocket - the smallest sprocket is 'floating' on the cassette and presents no problem for one who has basic bike skills.
I found the 32 sprocket (39 inches) very relaxing :) on the 10% climb yesterday. 70 rpm produces about 8 mph which is the real cusp of "no real power at all". If only I had that little bit extra in my lungs and legs then we'd be talking about 10 mph and a 50 inch gear.

I shan't make any rash modifications until the weather allows me to make more tests in more comfortable conditions
Peter

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
I shan't make any rash modifications until the weather allows me to make more tests in more comfortable conditions
Peter
Very sensible I think :).

I can't say one way or the other whether two motors is realistic or safe (as Russ said somewhere, what happens in a braking/emergency stop situation?) but in case its useful, I think I've heard of the Curries being over volted to 36V, even 48V and possibly higher, by some :rolleyes:. I know it'd be a high drain, but if doable you could run both motors at 36V off one battery in theory - maybe for short "turbo boost" when needed :D...

I'd also try the Torq derestricted, Pete, to see if that helped at all & as another option, I'd get that Ezee Chopper looked at too (was it from 50Cycles?) - something not quite right with that from your results, maybe just the battery? - Are the Torq & Chopper batteries interchangeable at all? Could you try the Chopper with the Torq battery to check if its just a dud battery in the Chopper??

P.S. Nice editing in your post there Pete ;)

Stuart.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's a thought Peter, that the Quando would do almost all that you want from a two motor Torq

To explain, I've never seen the point in a restricted Torq held at 15 mph and with it's questionable hill climbing, when the Quando with the same motor etc runs to 16/17 mph, and climbs almost anything with very little or no help from the rider. With a battery fresh off the charger, it runs to 18+ mph, while the restricted Torq is held to 15, and Quando hill climb speeds are always very respectable.

For example, those who gear down the derailleur on a Torq to permit hill climbing at 8/9 mph or less, are outclassed by the Quando climbing the same hills at 9/11 mph with a bit less help from the rider than the Torq requires.

That Route des Alpes would be dead easy on the Quando II, carrying full size panniers low down as it does, with it's low carrier able to carry a substantial top bag as well.

And cost? Quando £745 (NiMh) or £845 (Li-ion).

Torq plus Currie, about double that or more including the second battery. Only someone wanting the speed and derestricting the Torq would gain in any way.

Sobering eh?

Last edited:

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
Yes, that was part of my hesitancy for 2 motors because it seems not strictly necessary for your needs Pete?

The Ezee Chopper which you also have should (when fully working) be just as good for steep hills as the Quando, no?

I don't know how the different styling & use (to the Torq) affects rideability for you though :).

P.S. the mediterranean trip sounds great!:D

Stuart.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Ezee Chopper which you also have should (when fully working) be just as good for steep hills as the Quando, no?

Stuart.
Yes, although the Chopper motor is a bit lower powered by 13%, it's motor is lower geared by 16%, leaving it with a slight motor only hill climb advantage over the Quando. When the 7 speed hub is taken into account as well, it's comfortably the best for hills, if working correctly as you say.

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
Very sensible I think :).

I can't say one way or the other whether two motors is realistic or safe (as Russ said somewhere, what happens in a braking/emergency stop situation?) but in case its useful, I think I've heard of the Curries being over volted to 36V, even 48V and possibly higher, by some :rolleyes:. I know it'd be a high drain, but if doable you could run both motors at 36V off one battery in theory - maybe for short "turbo boost" when needed :D...

The last thing I want to do is to fiddle about with (what seems to me) complex wiring - hence two motors/two batteries. I don't feel I could have faith in the longevity of over-volting to 48V

I'd also try the Torq derestricted, Pete, to see if that helped at all & as another option, I'd get that Ezee Chopper looked at too (was it from 50Cycles?) - something not quite right with that from your results, maybe just the battery? - Are the Torq & Chopper batteries interchangeable at all? Could you try the Chopper with the Torq battery to check if its just a dud battery in the Chopper??

Now why didn't I think of that - haven't been onto 50Cycles yet (either in high or low dudgeon) I think all Ezee bikes have the same battery fittings.

P.S. Nice editing in your post there Pete ;)

Thanks for the compliment: here's more of the same. To let you into a very personal secret: I have not yet fathomed out how to break up a posting over several subjects (like this one) so that each subject on which comment is to be made appears in a separate 'blue box'. You need not tell me: I understand what I'm doing and it doesn't hurt my head.
Stuart.
I was somewhat surprised though when I got an on-screen message to say my message was not long enough (because everything I wrote was inside the box).
Thanks you guys
Peter
PS I have just had a b********g from the administrator for having too many
thingies (can't remember the exact word he used ) which included 'smilies' - cheek! 4 of the smilies were yours!! Pretend there's a smily here!

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
Route des Alpes - here we come!

It's a thought Peter, that the Quando would do almost all that you want from a two motor Torq
yes you are right. But there are other issues I have with the Quando largely from the information that you impart in asides - it makes trying the bike indispensible - you have the bike and the hills - I might just ask you for a visit - you are nearer than Flat Land Loughborough or Cambridge.

To explain, I've never seen the point in a restricted Torq held at 15 mph and with it's questionable hill climbing, when the Quando with the same motor etc runs to 16/17 mph, and climbs almost anything with very little or no help from the rider. With a battery fresh off the charger, it runs to 18+ mph, while the restricted Torq is held to 15, and Quando hill climb speeds are always very respectable.
I'm coming round to derestricting my Torq. My pal had done his with a switch and has had some success on hills in South Somerset (10% ers) but he weighs considerably less than me. I like the Torq for its "proper bike qualities".
Range is another factor (even with 2 batteries)

For example, those who gear down the derailleur on a Torq to permit hill climbing at 8/9 mph or less, are outclassed by the Quando climbing the same hills at 9/11 mph with a bit less help from the rider than the Torq requires.
I have a job to maintain 8 mph - what I need is a cast iron guarantee that the bike (whatever it is) will do 10% unassisted so that I can leave off pedalling from time to time on the grinding climbs and come back in after a breather - is that asking too much?
That Route des Alpes would be dead easy on the Quando II, carrying full size panniers low down as it does, with it's low carrier able to carry a substantial top bag as well.
Now you are talking - I'm convinced!! Hey, Hey!! Let's not get carried away with all that weight. I would need a spare battery. What would be best for such a Grand Tour - Li-ion of NiMh?

And cost? Quando £745 (NiMh) or £845 (Li-ion).

Torq plus Currie, about double that or more including the second battery. Only someone wanting the speed and derestricting the Torq would gain in any way.

Sobering eh?
Sobering? I'm drunk with desire!!:p hick!
When I said in a previous post "I was not enamoured of the 20inch wheels" it was because I am 6 ft 3 inches tall. There's going to be a lot of seat pin exposed. The other worry is the "narrow handlebars" - I like 'em wide. Could be changed but would that vitiate the foldability option? The other advantage of the Quando would be on the French Trains getting to Evian les Bains and coming home.
Quando I or II? The Quando I I believe, I saw in a post of yours, had a less than robust carrier and the II was better - but is not that the model for shorter folk?
Does the Quando have a screw on freewheel (or is it in the hub)?
I feel there might be a modification where the rear forks could be sprung.
enough to accommodate a three speed freewheel, say 12-16-22 (80x60x43 inches) - (if one can find a retro model - we are talking 1940's here).
Before I get to deeply involved (enamoured would be a better word) I should "do some of the work myself" and get down to some fine detail: exactly how long these Cols are and what distance/grades pertain. An exact route biopsy.
Also gather the minute details of both Quandos.
You've certainly got me thinking Flecc. Thank you.
Peter

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
you have the bike and the hills - I might just ask you for a visit.
You'll be very welcome anytime Peter, Torq, Twist and Quando II for trial. A run out together with Torq and Quando to some of the hills would enable direct comparison. See below*.

I have a job to maintain 8 mph - what I need is a cast iron guarantee that the bike (whatever it is) will do 10% unassisted so that I can leave off pedalling from time to time on the grinding climbs and come back in after a breather - is that asking too much?
It does 10% easily for my 74 kilos and will also climb 12% unassisted, and can even do an unassisted restart on 12%. Because you're heavier, you'd need to try those for yourself.

What would be best for such a Grand Tour - Li-ion of NiMh?
Where extended climbing is concerned, NiMh every time, since it will never suffer cutout until empty.

Quando I or II? The Quando I I believe, I saw in a post of yours, had a less than robust carrier and the II was better - but is not that the model for shorter folk?
Your 6' 3" is a problem here though Peter. The Quando II is only suitable for up to 6', it would have to be the suspended Quando I. Since that has bungee rear suspension it has a limited small 10 kilo carrier, not enough for touring, unlike the full size 25 kilo one on the Quando II.

Strange how so many, particularly when young, wish they were tall? :confused: I've always been pleased that I'm 5' 6", since it makes life so easy. Beds, chairs, cars etc, never any problem with getting a fit, and I'm just tall enough for bikes and motorbikes. Easier to hide when things go wrong too. :D

*I have a list of carefully measured test inclines:

Ctwd to F.D. Cresc - - - - - 0.5% - - - - 1 in 200
Ctwd to Sels Pk Rd .- - - - -1.5% - - - - 1 in 65
Courtwood Lane - - - - - - - 2% . - - - - 1 in 50
Lodge Lane - - - - - - - - - 5.5% - - - - 1 in 18
Pixton Way . - - - - - - - - - 6% - - - - - 1 in 17
Bardolph outgoing - - - - - - 7% - - - - - 1 in 14
Bardolph incoming - - - - - - 10% - - - - -1 in 10
Sorrel bank . - - - - - - - - - 10% - - - - -1 in 10
Peacock Gardens - - - - - - -12% - - - - -1 in 8
Markfield Hill - - - - - - - - - -14% - - - - -1 in 7
Markfield Path - - - - - - - - -17% - - - - -1 in 6
Markfield Lwr Path . - - - - - -22% - - - - -1 in 4.5

all within 1.5 mile radius.

Last edited:

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Forget Presteigne, perhaps we should all come to Croydon for the hill climbing olympics :D

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
Hi Pete :)
Pete said:
I was somewhat surprised though when I got an on-screen message to say my message was not long enough (because everything I wrote was inside the box).
Thanks you guys
Peter
PS I have just had a b********g from the administrator for having too many
thingies (can't remember the exact word he used ) which included 'smilies' - cheek! 4 of the smilies were yours!! Pretend there's a smily here!

:rolleyes: Yes, both of those happen to me too Pete! Especially the smileys one: now I just put :) when I have too many - smileys for free!! :D

(The "message not long enough" is due to all the text being inside the "blue quote box" - it thinks all inside the box is a quote, not a post...)

I know you said not to tell, but both these problems can be avoided by quoting in separate boxes: The easiest way is highlight the text you want to quote & then click on the "quote" tool on the text editor toolbar (if you have it, towards right at top, looks like a yellow speech bubble, next to "insert image") which will turn the highlighted text into a quote in your post. Then you can "quote" as many times as you like per post, doing the same each time :).

Else, just do it as Russ described to you - by adding QUOTE before, and /QUOTE after the text you are quoting, putting both these terms within square brackets [ ]. Does exactly the same job :).

To add the name of the "quotee" (?!), simply type "=quotee's name" after the first QUOTE tag, within the square brackets e.g.
me said:
and the name will appear as you typed it.
me said:
I'd try to sort the Chopper before considering a new purchase (unless of course you have a preference for the quando...) as it (Chopper) really ought to be tops for steep hills as Flecc said... and should handle your hill with very little effort from you.

Please check with someone who'd know that its ok before you swap the batteries - it was just an idea, so make sure its ok. Also, before you try that or call 50Cycles, I'd try to diagnose exactly what the problem is: its possibly easily remedied by you e.g. damp in the battery connection (likely): check out Flecc's site for tips on drying out damp etc. & much more.

Your mate's speed results up camel hill (?) suggest to me that there may well be a power gain when the Torq is derestricted, so that's worth a go, but bear in mind that it will also likely lessen range to a degree.

I hope the editing thing didn't do your head in & that its helpful :).

P.S. check my post in the "index for threads" thread - hope thats helpful too.

Stuart.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Just to confirm that both the Li-ion and NiMh eZee batteries are compatible with all the eZee bikes using that sliding mount, Torq, Sprint, Cadence, Chopper, Liv, Quando I and II.

I use both Li-ion and NiMh interchangeably on Torq and Quando.

N.B. The Smilies rule includes photos, a photo and 3 smilies, or 2 photos and 2 Smilies being example limits. Never mind, here's four of mine you can have:

:eek: :( :cool: ;)

Last edited:

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
PS I have just had a b********g from the administrator for having too many thingies (can't remember the exact word he used ) which included 'smilies' - cheek! 4 of the smilies were yours!! Pretend there's a smily here!
Hi Peter,

was it the message editor that was complaining about the smilies? For a second there I thought you meant I'd told you off!

cheers
Russ.

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
Hi Peter,

was it the message editor that was complaining about the smilies? For a second there I thought you meant I'd told you off!
cheers
Russ.
Guess it was the message editor - sorry to falsely accuse you. I must get a picture of the hierachy in my mind for future correct use......and many other things too.......e-mail is a breeze by comparison.
There I go again - I'll be in deep....trouble?
Peter