Ado A20 or Fiido D4S

Daddio70

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 2, 2021
I asked on here recently about the Fiido D4S and Estarli E20 and received some helpful advice. I had decided on the Fiido due to advise received and also the fact that I can find hardly any feedback about the Estarli.

Another forum member also mentioned the Ado A20 being a good ebike so I was just wondering if anybody had any advice on which is the better of the two out of the Fiido D4S and the Ado A20 please.

LazyElectricMan

Just Joined
Nov 8, 2021
I asked on here recently about the Fiido D4S and Estarli E20 and received some helpful advice. I had decided on the Fiido due to advise received and also the fact that I can find hardly any feedback about the Estarli.

Another forum member also mentioned the Ado A20 being a good ebike so I was just wondering if anybody had any advice on which is the better of the two out of the Fiido D4S and the Ado A20 please.
I was looking at the same bikes as you, I went for the D4S, because it's cheaper and lighter, a20 is 25kg Vs 19kg for the D4S, so if your pedalling without assistance obviously 6kg is gonna make quite a big difference.

I'm loving it so far, 19.5 miles the other day with a mixture of mode 2 and 3 assist and came back with two bars left, range and performance for the price is fantastic, even handled muswell hill (70kg) with ease in mode 3, I did drop to around 12 kph at one point but it just powered up there no probs, I have the bike unlocked to 34kph but I try to stay off the throttle unless I'm doing a short trip, good thing is that when unlocked the 3 assist modes remain the same and only the throttle is changed to max speed, so ideal if you need to get away quick from a roundabout or thieves, I absolutely love it, ain't a better ebike at this price out there.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclebuddy

PennyFarthing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011

What did you buy in the end Daddio70. I have a similar commute distance to you (a bit further but not much) with uphill a bit on way there but long slog of incline that goes on and on on way home.

PennyFarthing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
I was looking at the same bikes as you, I went for the D4S, because it's cheaper and lighter, a20 is 25kg Vs 19kg for the D4S, so if your pedalling without assistance obviously 6kg is gonna make quite a big difference.

I'm loving it so far, 19.5 miles the other day with a mixture of mode 2 and 3 assist and came back with two bars left, range and performance for the price is fantastic, even handled muswell hill (70kg) with ease in mode 3, I did drop to around 12 kph at one point but it just powered up there no probs, I have the bike unlocked to 34kph but I try to stay off the throttle unless I'm doing a short trip, good thing is that when unlocked the 3 assist modes remain the same and only the throttle is changed to max speed, so ideal if you need to get away quick from a roundabout or thieves, I absolutely love it, ain't a better ebike at this price out there.
Thanks for this LazyElectricMan. Did I read that this folding ebike can't cope with getting wet? Or am I confused. (I've read so much my head is spining).

PennyFarthing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
Also of concern to me is this video says the brakes have been switched so he crashed. I've always pulled the right brake a fraction quicker than the left since a child and I'm not young, so I'm not sure a switched braking system would work for me. Thoughts? HEre is the video

LazyElectricMan

Just Joined
Nov 8, 2021
Also of concern to me is this video says the brakes have been switched so he crashed. I've always pulled the right brake a fraction quicker than the left since a child and I'm not young, so I'm not sure a switched braking system would work for me. Thoughts? HEre is the video
Hi there

I think it's ip54 rated, so I don't think rain would be much of an issue as long as the motor don't get submerged in water etc, could also put a little bag around the display for extra protection.

Out of the box, I had to adjust the brakes, and remove the battery and add some extra foam pads on the battery to stop some knocking, also put some extra foam pads on the controller as well because from the factory they knock inside the frame, this takes 10-15 mins, I can't tell you how great this bike is for price, I've also just fitted some marathon plus 20 X 1.75 tires, the stock ones are fine but I wanted some extra puncture resistance.

The pedal assist takes a couple of seconds to kick in, but you can blip the throttle to get going anyway, and it probably helps with range lol, there is a video on YouTube that shows you how to install a kt controller and display which gives 5 modes of assist, instant pedel assist, and you can limit the throttle to 6kph to be fully UK compliant, but I'm happy with it as is, also unlocking is simple and it does 34kph on just the throttle.

I ordered mine from banggood, they actually ship from UK, so postage is speedy.

LazyElectricMan

Just Joined
Nov 8, 2021
Oh forgot to mention about the breaks, I have absolutely no idea what that fella is on about in that video, rear break is on left, front is on right, completely normal set up

Jaxter

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2020
Have had a d4s for about 15 months absolutely love it, easy to store even unfolded, not too heavy, almost perfect for inner city commuting. my only complaint is a little bit of a rough ride when hitting bumps, but suspension would fundamentally change its strong points being compact and being easier then most ebikes to lift n shift.
It hasnt missed a beat though, no punctures in that much time on stock tyres and mine arrived with no rattles thankfully, i love mine to bits, and dream of a 500w in the same form factor, i think you will be hard pressed to find better at a similar price.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Oh forgot to mention about the breaks, I have absolutely no idea what that fella is on about in that video, rear break is on left, front is on right, completely normal set up
Could be that if you buy from Europe the brakes are set up that way; normal to have brakes with the rear lever on the nearside.

Morgann

Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2011
when I got my Kalkhof, years ago, I had to switch the front brake to the right hand bar. Simply because I ride a motorbike as well and thats where the front brake lives on a motorbike. Didn't want to confuse my learned reflexes and pull the clutch by mistake.

Templar 616

Just Joined
Jan 20, 2022
Hi all I'm also torn between these two for my Wife. The Fiido gets great reviews as does the A20. Looking into it a bit deeper I've discovered that the ADO has a 15 amp controller but the Fiido. has only a 13 amp max. So the ADO should in theory be a little more powerful as far as peak wattage. The Fiido motor is allegedly 35nm and the ADO 40nm , yes I know these figures are to be taken with a pinch of salt ! Anyone with experience of both ?

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Hi all I'm also torn between these two for my Wife. The Fiido gets great reviews as does the A20. Looking into it a bit deeper I've discovered that the ADO has a 15 amp controller but the Fiido. has only a 13 amp max. So the ADO should in theory be a little more powerful as far as peak wattage. The Fiido motor is allegedly 35nm and the ADO 40nm , yes I know these figures are to be taken with a pinch of salt ! Anyone with experience of both ?
There are a couple of places in London that stock and will allow you to try both... IIRC BicycleLand is one.

On paper the ADO appears to offer more, but on a ride it's (IMHO) a horrible pile of crap. For example, the front shock seems a good idea but in reality it's just a useless unadjustable soft springed pogo-stick that bottoms out relentlessley just adding unnecessary weight to the bike. The programming of the controller is also absurd: On paper it suggests you've got 5 power levels, but again in reality level 1 is full-speed by PAS, and all the other levels were simply full-on throttle only. IMHO it's rediculous. It seems to me to be only those that are so thrilled at owning their first e-bike that don't know any different and rave about it. Of course (if ADO have any sense), they may well have improved these things since I last looked.

On the other hand, the Fiido D4S is a basic but solid and well thought through cheap ebike that rides and lasts well (when looked after) even if it doesn't quite offer all the (poorly implemented) bling of the ADO.

I'd strongly suggest riding both and making up your own mind.

Just my tuppence worth.

Templar 616

Just Joined
Jan 20, 2022
There are a couple of places in London that stock and will allow you to try both... IIRC BicycleLand is one.

On paper the ADO appears to offer more, but on a ride it's (IMHO) a horrible pile of crap. For example, the front shock seems a good idea but in reality it's just a useless unadjustable soft springed pogo-stick that bottoms out relentlessley just adding unnecessary weight to the bike. The programming of the controller is also absurd: On paper it suggests you've got 5 power levels, but again in reality level 1 is full-speed by PAS, and all the other levels were simply full-on throttle only. IMHO it's rediculous. It seems to me to be only those that are so thrilled at owning their first e-bike that don't know any different and rave about it. Of course (if ADO have any sense), they may well have improved these things since I last looked.

On the other hand, the Fiido D4S is a basic but solid and well thought through cheap ebike that rides and lasts well (when looked after) even if it doesn't quite offer all the (poorly implemented) bling of the ADO.

I'd strongly suggest riding both and making up your own mind.

Just my tuppence worth.
[/QUOTE
Hi cycle buddy, not much chance of trying both for me I'm afraid as I'm up in Yorkshire and there doesn't seem to be anywhere local that offers these bikes to test ride .ADO have since updated the controller and improved the PAS modes on the bike , it's now called the ADO A20 plus and it gets pedal assist in modes 1 and 2 and pure throttle in 3 oh and they throw in a rear light.
Having said all this I've just seen the Kristall F20 folding e bike on offer at Yoikoto , doesn't look bad although I no nothing of the brand. Thing about this one is it's 48 volt 350w but no mention of controller amps but if it's 15 amps it should have some serious grunt, it's a bit more expensive but I may give them a call and see if I can find out a bit more, motor make , controller amps etc. It's a rigid fork and they claim weighs only 15kg ( can't believe that's right though !) It also has 9 speed gears .

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Hi cycle buddy, not much chance of trying both for me I'm afraid as I'm up in Yorkshire and there doesn't seem to be anywhere local that offers these bikes to test ride .ADO have since updated the controller and improved the PAS modes on the bike , it's now called the ADO A20 plus and it gets pedal assist in modes 1 and 2 and pure throttle in 3 oh and they throw in a rear light.
Having said all this I've just seen the Kristall F20 folding e bike on offer at Yoikoto , doesn't look bad although I no nothing of the brand. Thing about this one is it's 48 volt 350w but no mention of controller amps but if it's 15 amps it should have some serious grunt, it's a bit more expensive but I may give them a call and see if I can find out a bit more, motor make , controller amps etc. It's a rigid fork and they claim weighs only 15kg ( can't believe that's right though !) It also has 9 speed gears .
I haven't heard of Yoikoto or the Kristall F20 either. It says 7 speed. I too don't believe the 15kg unless that's excluding the battery!

I'm not sure why you place such emphasis on the current of the controller. The thing to remember is the cells in these lower cost e-bikes aren't premium, and in many cases placing high current demand on typical lower-cost Chinese cells is likely to kill them very quickly. I've an £800 Fiido D11, mediocre celled 11.6Ah battery, 13A controller. 17kg. It's got plenty enough poke.

The other thing to consider is parts availability when it goes wrong. Fiido is very good in that respect. ADO I don't know. Where would you source a replacement Kristall battery or controller from when (from the website) it's not even clear what parts they're using?

Templar 616

Just Joined
Jan 20, 2022
ADO seem quite good on after sales, parts etc as do Fiido as you say. The Kristall definitely a non starter parts wise so ruled out.
Ive just found out that the latest A20 + has an upgraded front fork apparently much stiffer as well as the changes to the controller so should be an improvement ( changes highligted in attached photo) .As for current just trying to get the most bang for the buck I suppose but as you say that could be a literal bang with the cheap batteries on these things

Attachments