Advice for a true 'Gentlemans' e-bike...

Mr S

Just Joined
Nov 1, 2018
Having road biked around France this year, in Alsace my wife and I rented electric bikes for the day... After much deliberation might I add as we honestly thought it was cheating...

Needless to say the Kalkhoff bikes with Bosch Performance motors were nothing short of wonderful, and quite possibly gave us our most enjoyable days cycling for some time!

Now we are in the market for two pedelecs of our own and have some requirements, many of which will be fairly easy to find for a ladies step-through bike, however for my own I want a true 'Gentlemans' bike - I currently have an old black, 3-gear bike with dutch handlebars called Gordon whom I love dearly, but in truth I really want the fun of the turbo mode!!!

So I'm after any recommendations for:

Ladies and Gents bikes (do not have to be the same make or range, just similarly equipped in terms of the motor.
Bosch Performance motor (or similar alternative in terms of power) - we'll mostly be leisure cycling but enjoyed the Bosch Performance motor so much we wouldn't want to be disappointed - or does it not make a big difference?
As traditional as possible styling (more important for the gents bike than the ladies).
Upright riding position.
Dutch-style handlebars.
Suspension seatposts.
Decent range of gears.
Hub gears ideally to minimise maintainenece.

In terms of price we do not really have a limit for the right bike and was expecting to pay a minimum of £2500 each.

I've looked at several manufacturers on the Tredz website but haven't quite found the one!

Help! Many thanks in advance, Adam.

Reactions: EddiePJ

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Check out the options from Cube.

I'm thinking of the Town Sport SL500 for both of you, with comfort bars and Bosch motors.

You can see and click to view the crossbar and step-through frame choices on this link

I have no connection with Cube, they are well known good quality German e-bikes.

Poolepete

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2018
Poole
I have a Raleigh Motus Grand Tour equipped with Bosch Activeline Plus motor. I love it and I think it has pretty well all the attributes you seek. Easily within your budget at £2,150 and available both as crossbar and step through.

Was going for crossbar, but the chap at the shop pursuaded me to go the step through route and I think it was good advice, particularly when you're getting your leg over with a bag mounted on the pannier rack.

The bike is extremely comfortable, I have bad back problems and cannot cope with being bashed about or taking shocks through my arms to my neck/shoulders. The bike has had zero faults in 500 miles with speeds averaging a leisurely 14.2mph according to my speedometer. I get about 50 miles range in tour mode.

Best advice I can give though, is to go and book a test ride(s) and have fun with whatever you buy!

Reactions: oldtom

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Make sure batteries are interchangeable between bikes. In case of step through go for frame mounted battery, not rack mounted, better handling. Plus your gentleman's bike is likely to have same battery pack. Having same batteries mean your range as couple is governed by combined capacity of batteries, plus you can buy a spare to give 50% more range.

With Bosch the 400 and 500wh battery packs are interchangeable. Not sure with Shimano, check first.

As per above don't be put off by step through frame, try one for half day you may be surprised how practical comfortable they are.

Reactions: Poolepete

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016
Having road biked around France this year, in Alsace my wife and I rented electric bikes for the day... After much deliberation might I add as we honestly thought it was cheating...

Needless to say the Kalkhoff bikes with Bosch Performance motors were nothing short of wonderful, and quite possibly gave us our most enjoyable days cycling for some time!

Now we are in the market for two pedelecs of our own and have some requirements, many of which will be fairly easy to find for a ladies step-through bike, however for my own I want a true 'Gentlemans' bike - I currently have an old black, 3-gear bike with dutch handlebars called Gordon whom I love dearly, but in truth I really want the fun of the turbo mode!!!

So I'm after any recommendations for:

Ladies and Gents bikes (do not have to be the same make or range, just similarly equipped in terms of the motor.
Bosch Performance motor (or similar alternative in terms of power) - we'll mostly be leisure cycling but enjoyed the Bosch Performance motor so much we wouldn't want to be disappointed - or does it not make a big difference?
As traditional as possible styling (more important for the gents bike than the ladies).
Upright riding position.
Dutch-style handlebars.
Suspension seatposts.
Decent range of gears.
Hub gears ideally to minimise maintainenece.

In terms of price we do not really have a limit for the right bike and was expecting to pay a minimum of £2500 each.

I've looked at several manufacturers on the Tredz website but haven't quite found the one!

Help! Many thanks in advance, Adam.
Why not get the same Kalkhoff bikes

• Agree
Reactions: Steve Bowles

Mr S

Just Joined
Nov 1, 2018
Further question....

When it comes to 'comfort or city' bikes there seems to be an awful lot more of them with Bosch active line or active line-plus motors compared to the Bosch performance motor we experienced on holiday. Is there really a noticeable difference between them?

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Further question....

When it comes to 'comfort or city' bikes there seems to be an awful lot more of them with Bosch active line or active line-plus motors compared to the Bosch performance motor we experienced on holiday. Is there really a noticeable difference between them?
The performance produces 63nm torque while Plus is 50nm. You aren't likely to find many bikes with performance and 8spd hub like nexus or alfine as they are rated for 50nm. When performance is used with these hubs its detuned.

The Plus with right gearing will climb most hills comfortably just a bit slower than performance. Its like comparing 1500 motor to 1800, while activeline is 1300 equivalent.

Reactions: EddiePJ

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
We went for a Raleigh Motus second-hand and it has been very good. Next door have a Cube (not sure exact model, they seem to have an absurd number). That is better (at twice the price) with a more recent version of the Plus Bosch motor rather than an older version of the regular one. Also better battery position.

We wanted step-through frame (not as young as we were and won't be getting any younger during the life of the bike). We have just the one solo electric as we use the converted tandem when we go out together, and we don't often go out separately at the same time.

Poolepete

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2018
Poole
Further question....

The Active Line Plus gives me all the power I need, I am nearly always on Tour (2nd) mode and only select sport or even Turbo on the nasty hills. It all depends where you are cycling, go for a few rides on different bikes and see for yourself if the Active Line gives you enough oomph. My Raleigh dealer took me straight to Poole's more feared hills to demonstrate the bike's prowess.

dwvl

Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2018
Essex, UK
Before you spend £2000 on a mid-drive bike, I'd recommend test-riding a hub-motored Raleigh Array (close to £1000). You might be surprised, like I was...

Phil Dryden

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2018
Leicester
Hi Mr S,
Earlier this year I bought a Cube Kathmandu, which has the Bosch Performance CX motor, and like you I am thrilled with the 75 Nm power of the motor. It makes mincemeat of hills, and the 500 power pack battery has a good range of around 50-80 miles depending on usual factors. My wife has a bike with the Active Line motor, and there is no comparison with the performance. The Active Line Plus has only 63 Nm torque. Cube bikes are well engineered with a good spec. These hybrid bikes don't meet all of your criteria, however the CX motor is unbeatable for performance - go for it!

Reactions: Vandazler

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Hi Mr S,
Earlier this year I bought a Cube Kathmandu, which has the Bosch Performance CX motor, and like you I am thrilled with the 75 Nm power of the motor. It makes mincemeat of hills, and the 500 power pack battery has a good range of around 50-80 miles depending on usual factors. My wife has a bike with the Active Line motor, and there is no comparison with the performance. The Active Line Plus has only 63 Nm torque. Cube bikes are well engineered with a good spec. These hybrid bikes don't meet all of your criteria, however the CX motor is unbeatable for performance - go for it!
The Plus is 50nm, Performance (detuned CX?) is 63nm.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
You want a Dutch style bike, so buy a Dutch bike - a Gazelle.

Built to last and nicely finished, most have a Bosch motor.

Cycle Heaven in York is main UK dealer, they always have a good selection in stock and offer test rides.

Worth a trip if you are in striking distance.

https://www.cycle-heaven.co.uk/products/bikes/by-brand/gazelle

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
I think it was good advice, particularly when you're getting your leg over with a bag mounted on the pannier rack.
Blimey, that conjures up some x-rated images in my mind!;)

That aside, there are several offerings at various price points from the German and Dutch manufacturers as there remains a large market for what we might refer to as traditionally-styled bicycles.

I'm thinking Hercules, Batavus, Kalkhoff, Royal Dutch Gazelle, Sparta, Giant and the like who all continue to provide bikes….how shall I put it?…..designed with the older rider in mind, perhaps?

The higher-rated Bosch power plants are fine and the reports on their equivalent from Yamaha indicate they are also up to the job as these bikes tend to be heavier than the average.

Tom

• Agree
Reactions: RobF

Electric Transport Shop

Official Trade Member
Aug 7, 2010
Hi Mr S,
You can actually have your cake and eat it so to speak with Riese and Muller. They offer more contemporary designs but combine the Bosch Performance Line CX with hub gear options including Vario (new name for Nuvinci) and Rolhoff (now available with electronic shifting).
We also offer Cube and Raleigh options - many customers are happy with the Raleigh Motus especially the Grand Tour and the Cube Kathmandu. The Raleigh being the more traditional of the two.

If you have the budget Riese & Muller are definitely worth a look: www.r-m.de

We have the above and probably the biggest selection of electric Gazelle bikes in the UK.

If you have any questions I'm happy to help: contact here.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Blimey, that conjures up some x-rated images in my mind!;)

That aside, there are several offerings at various price points from the German and Dutch manufacturers as there remains a large market for what we might refer to as traditionally-styled bicycles.

I'm thinking Hercules, Batavus, Kalkhoff, Royal Dutch Gazelle, Sparta, Giant and the like who all continue to provide bikes….how shall I put it?…..designed with the older rider in mind, perhaps?

The higher-rated Bosch power plants are fine and the reports on their equivalent from Yamaha indicate they are also up to the job as these bikes tend to be heavier than the average.

Tom
Gepida are also worth looking at. I've been impressed with build quality of wifes reptila 900. The 2018 Reptila models have Plus motor. They also offer gentlemen's bike in Albion with performance motor and Alfine 8 hub, the motor will be detuned slightly to protect hub. Spec level quite respectable with trigger shifting Alfine hub, Deore brakes definitely step up in performance compared to usual brakes on trekking bikes.

https://www.nationwideebikes.co.uk/collections/gepida

Last edited:

Dewey

Pedelecer
Sep 12, 2016
Arlington, VA
You want a Dutch style bike, so buy a Dutch bike - a Gazelle.
Gazelle has a nice range. I test rode the step through and diamond frame variants of their 28” wheel city model the Orange and both felt very comfortable. Earlier this summer I borrowed their 26” wheeled step through the Ami for a month and really liked the deep low step through frame. For all three the combination of an internal gear hub and mid drive motor is good for riding in the city, being able to shift down when stopped facing up hill or at a traffic light is very helpful, I found the Magura hydraulic rim brakes to be responsive. I wrote up my impressions for a blog article - note for the US they rebranded the Orange as the Arroyo and the Ami as the EasyFlow.

Reactions: oldtom