Advice for my sister

lectureral

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2007
Suva, Fiji
I guess I could post this in the main forum but I am now more used to these sheltered waters. My sister (50s) fancies an electric bike. She lives in hilly N Devon and visits Bristol very regularly - she can afford a good budget. I am so long out of the e-bike scene I don't think I have the knowledge to advise her well. I know 50-cycles is in Bristol - any special deals at the moment? Which brands are doing best at the moment (I had a Kahlkoff and am a fan of power through the gears).

Any advice welcome.

Happy Christmas everyone - Christmas morning already here.

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
Kalkhoff need a bit of research into reliability of the engine !!!!!! ( Do not buy )

Trekking style bikes have lots of kit on, lights, mud guards and racks. Yamaha or Bosch engines and you can't do wrong.

Moustache are also very comfortable

She needs to go to a shop and try some, there is no better answer

Happy Christmas as well.

Reactions: LoveCycles

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Tesco's in Bradley stoke have a giant dealership, they have a full suspension e bike on sale £2,200 was £3,200.
Fluorescent and bright but a smart looking bike.
That's fairly near to you and we'll a bit of a steal

Reactions: LoveCycles

Beach Thorncombe

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2016
United Kingdom
My advice would be to suggest you 'interview' your sister to establish her reasons, (perceived, practical or otherwise), as to why she feels she wants to buy / own / use an ebike.

By drilling in to her main and secondary reasons for contemplating getting such a machine, you, (and her), would be able to reduce a wide selection of potential genres, styles and makes down to a few particular ebike types that would, presumably, match her expectations.

The fact she has an open budget adds more importance to any potential purchase because, really, with such a budget, there should be no excuse for settling for anything other than a perfectly suited ebike that would meet your sisters needs exactly.

Don't listen to friends or forum members here suggesting potential deals or potential bikes they might consider ... and don't dare buy some, possibly cool, possibly fab looking machine simply because it has had 'x' amount of cash knocked off it ... suggesting it is a bargain.

Put another way. If I was on the look out for a dinky little hatchback or estate car, (having established that was exactly what I needed), would I, instead, buy a big old Lexus LS400 limousine ... just because it was an apparent bargain?

Would I buy expensive patent shoes 'offered at half price' ... if they were two sizes too small?

Point is ... if you have a great budget, for goodness sake, spend it on a machine that is likely or guaranteed to serve the remit that, by interviewing your sister, you can tease out of her.

Don't listen to the commercial contingent on here either.

I'm sure some of them are sincere in offering you their two penneth but ... with an open budget and an admission that you are 'out of the ebike scene, you are deliciously ripe for garnering any old B.S that someone can peddle you.

Find out what your sister specifically wants and needs with regards to
practical, technical and personal requirements.

I expect a particular genre of ebike will manifest in both your minds as you discuss options.

... and if 'hill climbing' is actually an issue, (or requirement), make that the number one focus ... and, (if that were so), simplify the thread request, (or start another one), by asking forum members here to relate their own experience regarding the hill climbing attributes or characteristics of their own machines.

If the weight of a machine mattered, consider investigating that aspect.

Same with battery range, etc etc,

Asking questions like "What brands are doiing well at the moment?" ... is a bizarre thing to say, (taking NO account of characteristics or features your sister might want with regards to her anticipated ebike needs), ... but it does sound like a great way of throwing money away!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Which brands are doing best at the moment (I had a Kahlkoff and am a fan of power through the gears).
Sadly Kalkhoff have experienced a lot of trouble with the second version of their own Impulse power unit, which replaced the reliable Panasonic one.

As IR772 posted earlier, for drive through the gears aim for e-bikes with either the Bosch or Yamaha units, fitted as they are to a wide variety of quality German bike brands.

However, has your sister ever ridden an e-bike in her area? If not I think it best she first has a test ride or two from the nearest dealers stocking them to ascertain whether it really is what she wants and whether one will suit her needs.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Atmosphere in Bristol are one of the oldest and most experienced shops in the field, stocking a wide range.

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
Which ever bike your sister buys just Remember this most important point make sure you charge the battery about once a month because during the weather when it is not the great if it not charge it can stop working and a new battery can be around 500 to 700 pounds a expensive mistakes to make

]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Disagree
Reactions: IR772

lectureral

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2007
Suva, Fiji
Thanks for your advice, guys - I'll try and steer her in an appropriate direction.

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
Kalkhoff need a bit of research into reliability of the engine !!!!!! ( Do not buy )

Trekking style bikes have lots of kit on, lights, mud guards and racks. Yamaha or Bosch engines and you can't do wrong.

Moustache are also very comfortable

She needs to go to a shop and try some, there is no better answer

Happy Christmas as well.

How many Kalkoff bikes have you owned?

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Why is that relevant? I've never owned a duck, but I can tell you they go 'quack'.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
But I don't think kalkoffs go quack now.

redcup1999

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2016
Bristol
She could try visiting planetbike on the Pottington Estate in Barnstaple. They stock Cube, Giant, Raleigh and shortly Haibike. My cousin purchased from them and had a good experience - I understand they are happy to give test rides.

Reactions: lectureral

Advertisers