Advice needed- Bafang BBS01B 250w

mnf441

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 17, 2017
Manchester, UK
Hi guys,

I have been trawling through your forum for info on a kit I've just bought (and am still awaiting delivery from China).

SO, it's a BBS01B, 250w mid drive motor. I am fairly up o date about how to remove crankarm, BB and to install etc, but I'm not techy, so would be grateful if you could help with the following:

I have been watching a Hailong 36v 15.4ah battery on the fleabay ( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/36V-15Ah-Hailong-36V-14-5Ah-li-ion-e-bike-battery-2A-charger-New-slim-style-/282353772603 )... is this battery suitable for the motor? I know the voltage on the motor is 36v... but not sure about ampage thing etc...

The brake shifters in the box seems horridly big, I'm assuming I will have to buy some aftermarket brake sensors and mount these, or is it possible to take the shifters apart, grab the parts and install onto my Shimano's?

Being such a weak motor, will I need to consider gear sensors too?

As there is a thumb throttle, I assume I shouldn't mount this to be road-worthy? (Yes, I did buy the lower rated motor of 250w to attempt to 'look' road legal without needing to sand-paper the bottom plate, showing the wattage info)

I am aware that the display can be reprogrammed... what speed would you think is maximum safe speed (not to burn out the battery too quickly) that I can reprogram when off road? (I am aware that as it is programmable, it technically may not be road legal).

Thank you all for your attention and I look forward to your feedback!

Karl

redcup1999

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2016
Bristol
In theory the battery is suitable.
However - Generic Cells, 6 months warranty? It's not one I would buy.

Speak to Jimmy at Insat - he will build you a battery you can be confident in.

D

Deleted member 4366

That Hailong battery will probably be OK. Hailong is the maker of the case, not the battery. how good it is depends on what's inside the case. There's loads of different types of cells.

You won't do any harm to the motor or battery as long as you take advice before reprogramming the power. Speed doesn't matter as far as harm to your motor is concerned.

mnf441

Jul 17, 2017
Manchester, UK
Thanks guys, I'll ask the seller about cells... I've read that Panasonic and Samsung batteries are best?

Regarding taking advice... What advice do I need to take before reprogramming? I was just planning on changing max permitted (restricted by manufacturer @15mph?) speed ... Wasn't planning to change anything else...

Thanks again

D

Deleted member 4366

You can adjust the speed in the normal user settings. That's not reprogramming. reprogramming is done with a special cable, which gives access to more parameters, like maximum power and PAS assistance levels.

mnf441

Jul 17, 2017
Manchester, UK
Ok... So if I just change the speed in the user settings, does the motor actually give me more speed (when I order or push throttle) or do I need to programme with the special cable to change power settings in order to give me more speed?

Sorry, I'm sure this sounds dumb to most of you...

Btw, what is the circa max speed this motor will actually go if I change via user settings or reprogramming? I'm 85kg, 5'10

Thanks.

D

Deleted member 4366

The speed setting sets the speed at which power cuts off. You have say 15 amps and 36v, so about 540w from the battery, which will be about 370w at the back wheel. You can add power to that by pedalling. Reprogramming allows you to increase the motor's power by about 20%, which obviously has the potential to give you more speed, though your actual speed will depend on conditions like hills, wind, air resistance and weight. Gearing will also make a difference, just like it does with a car or motorbike. if the gearing is too low, the motor will max out, and if it's too high, you won't have enough torque.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For 15.6 ah would be Sony VCT6 3120mah in 10s 5p so won't have them in there for £255. Only other cell will be Sumsung 26F's in 10s 6p.

As with all cell producers some cells are better then others spec wise, so not al Samsungs or Panas's are equal.
The 26F in 5p is average but in 6p will prove better, for another £74 Eclipse have the 29E cells in a mighty 10s6p for 17.4ah capacity.

mnf441

Jul 17, 2017
Manchester, UK
Thanks for the detailed explanation guys, I'll go checkout eclipse battery... I did Google search if insat and I don't think I can afford one.

This is my first ebike. I'm glad so many knowledgeable people in here

mnf441

Jul 17, 2017
Manchester, UK
Btw, is the Ah part of the battery just an indication of possible range / capacity; the higher the Ah, the higher the range?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Btw, is the Ah part of the battery just an indication of possible range / capacity; the higher the Ah, the higher the range?
Pretty much so.
The Eclipse 29E in 6p configuration should be a decent battery and could be good for 60 -70 miles dependant on terrain, speed,weight and conditions.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Btw, what is the circa max speed this motor will actually go if I change via user settings or reprogramming? I'm 85kg, 5'10

Thanks.
The GSM (a Bafang clone) easily does 40-45 km/h on the flat unrestricted. It is best to get a bigger/better battery than you think you can afford. It is going to be around for a while (3 years at least) so you will get ROI.

D

Deleted member 4366

The gear sensor is not so necessary on the 250w BBS01, but the torque od the BBS02 and HD can mash your gears pretty well, so I'd always advise to fit one on one of them. That's it from the point of necessity, but it makes your gear-changing much better whichever one you fit it do, so in that case it's desirable. the question is whether you want to spend £50 on better gear-changing. Unless you buy your kit from china, the price of the gear sensor will be the same whether you buy it with the kit or after, so you can always see how you get on and decide about it later.

Reactions: BlastPast

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Dot Com is there new web site.

mnf441

Jul 17, 2017
Manchester, UK
Much obliged. Order the battery and brake sensor next week.

So, if I set max speed on the display to 40km, will the bike actually push the rider (subject to the usual terrain, weight etc) to circa 40km before the motor cuts out, or do I have to buy a programming cable to get extra power / torque from the motors before that happens?

D

Deleted member 4366

Speed depends on your gearing. The motor has a maximum RPM at the crank. As long as you're below that, the motor will give power.

Just because you set the speed higher, doesn't mean the bike will go at that speed. It's only a 250w motor. You present bike isn't restricted. You can go 40 km/h sometimes but other times, you can only go 10 km/h. The motor will make you go faster, but the speed will depend on the conditions.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Much obliged. Order the battery and brake sensor next week.

So, if I set max speed on the display to 40km, will the bike actually push the rider (subject to the usual terrain, weight etc) to circa 40km before the motor cuts out, or do I have to buy a programming cable to get extra power / torque from the motors before that happens?
In my case the GSM didn't have a working speed sensor for a while so never reached the 25 km/h cutoff speed... :rolleyes: The top speed (GPS) was reached in second from top gear which at that time must have been 46:13 and assistance level 5. Changing up to top gear (46:11) did not increase top speed so I concluded that on the flat with no wind the motor was capable of 45 km/h "WOT" so to speak (no throttle fitted of course).

EDIT: I was of course spinning the pedals at cadence - about 90 - but was not supplying much power myself, the pedals spinning without effort.