Advice needed for new Wisper 806 torque

ElizaQ

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 15, 2020
First of all, I must apologise for starting to ask this question somewhere else. (I started a thread in the new members section - I'm so sorry.) I'm delighted to have found this Wisper Clinic and will be grateful for any help or advice.

I received my new Wisper a couple of days ago. I had read so much about this bike and had looked forward to it for months. In most respects, it's marvellous but I am worried because I can't ride the bike up the hill where I live without using the throttle. (I live about half way up a long hill.)

I have previously ridden a Radrunner Plus and a Popal E-Folt 1.00 and with both these bikes (powered by cadence sensors) I could ride up the hill in PAS 4/5 and sometimes 3/5 using gear 4. When I tried with my new Wisper, I first of all tried changing down a gear but it didn't help. I found myself going so slowly I would have had to stop and get off if there had been no helpful throttle.The throttle saved the day.

Today my husband tried the bike. (He is 63, I am 72) He managed to ride up the hill using PAS 5 with only a little throttle, but he, too, was surprised because pedalling was so very hard. He is used to riding up the hill in PAS 3 on the cadence sensor bikes.

What I need to know is whether our experience is normal or could the settings be wrong? If they're not wrong and this was to be expected, would it be possible to change the settings to give a bit more power for going up hills? (My husband was going to have ordered one, too, so we could both have a folding bike but now we're not sure what to do. We are still hoping to manage the Wisper but it's worrying for us both that the bike is so hard to pedal - so massively more difficult that the bikes we have used so far. Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Elizabeth,

That’s what I would expect. The bikes are very powerful but you do need to pedal quite hard to get the maximum power.

If you use the throttle whilst pedalling yiu can override the cadence sensor and get full power simply by turning the pedals. Just like a cadence sensor bike. Some prefer cadence bikes but of course the range is reduced.

Please feel free to give us a call if yiu need any help.

All the best, David

Reactions: ElizaQ

ElizaQ

Dec 15, 2020
Hi David

Thank you so much for your reply. Your customer support is truly impressive and better than any I've ever come across. We shall think about what to do next - whether to persevere or try to sell the Wisper torque and buy 2 Wisper 806 cadences instead of getting another torque model. We would prefer to keep the torque model if possible because a) there are no Wisper 806s available, b) it would be expensive to sell this one immediately after just getting it, and c) terribly disappointing to be without the bike after having waited for it for so long. We do want to stay with Wisper and both of us like the instant power you get when setting off with the torque. Would it be possible to change the settings on the torque bike to give a bit more power on hills (not to go faster)? I looked at the menu but it doesn't seem possible to change the PAS settings, and of course, we would need advice for that. You are right that we can use the throttle but in my case, I seem to need it for most of the hill and I'm not sure how that would affect the battery if I did it regularly (which I would have to do unless a miracle happens and my leg muscles turn into super woman legs - I live in hope). I understand that using the throttle reduces the range but what I would worry about would be damaging the battery. (I have the 700wh version). We don't have a car and have dreamed of wandering far and wide on the Wispers and being able to fold them up to take on trains (after covid is past). We want to use them for shopping, too and I'm wondering whether to try taking it to Aldi tomorrow (which involves riding up a long steep hill). We'll keep on thinking about what to do but thank you so very much for your time and trouble.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Elizabeth,

Thanks for your kind words.

At 65 I’m certainly in tune with your concerns.

Try twisting the throttle whilst you are turning the pedals I’m sure it will whisk you up the hill to Aldi!

May I call you tomorrow to discuss the best way forward?

Please email me. david@wisperbikes.com and I’ll call you.

All the best, David

ElizaQ

Dec 15, 2020
Hi Elizabeth,

Thanks for your kind words.

At 65 I’m certainly in tune with your concerns.

Try twisting the throttle whilst you are turning the pedals I’m sure it will whisk you up the hill to Aldi!

May I call you tomorrow to discuss the best way forward?

Please email me. david@wisperbikes.com and I’ll call you.

All the best, David
Thanks so much. I'll email you shortly. Thanks again.

Gliggsy

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
I hope we can see an outcome on this problem because it certainly sounds like a fault, if your old bike was capable then a new more modern bike ought to cope

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I hope we can see an outcome on this problem because it certainly sounds like a fault, if your old bike was capable then a new more modern bike ought to cope
It certainly can cope, riders simply have more options on a modern bike.

All the best, David

ElizaQ

Dec 15, 2020
Thanks for your concern. I am more than grateful for the replies and advice that I've received.
Since I heard from David at Wisper that you need to pedal harder on torque sensor bikes than on cadence snsor ones, I am becoming increasingly convinced that there is no fault with the bike and that the 'problem' lies with my hill wimp legs.
Since getting the advice, I've done the following:
1. Heard from two people (on the net) who have Wisper 806 torques. Neither of them have ever had any problem with hills. The difference between them and me is that they are young men and I am a 72 year old female (5 ft 2 and 54kg if that is of interest).
2. My husband tried out the bike (we were going to buy one for him so that we both had a folding bike). He is 63 yrs old and reasonably fit. Like me he is used to riding cadence sensor bikes and is currently riding a Radrunner Plus. He took the bike for the same run that I originally went on. We live in Hastings half way up a long hill, Harold Rd. He took it down to the seafront and back up the High St finishing up with the long hill home.
He had to stop on the way because the front wheel was pointing increasingly to the left. He sorted this out before continuing. This was obviously our fault that we hadn't checked the tightness properly before setting off. I hadn't noticed it.
His verdict was that it was much more difficult to pedal than the Radrunner Plus but that he had managed with only a short stretch on the steepest hill where he had to use the throttle. (Normally he comes up that hill in PAS 3/5.)
However - like me, he loved the power you get when setting off, so his verdict was that it was worth persevering and hopefully, both our (pairs of) legs would get stronger.
3. After he got back, he went over the bike using the manual to check the Nm settings of all the fixings and once again we checked that the brakes were not binding.
4. Now time for the Aldi shop. Encouraged by David from Wisper, I set off with the Wisper to Aldi. This is in the opposite direction from going to the seafront and involves a moderate hill then a very steep hill before a moderate part again on the way there. I feared I might not get up the steep part after my previous experience. But I did! The Wisper was wonderful. I put the bike in PAS 5 and managed to pedal until the very steep hill started. Then I used the throttle which worked like a dream until I reached the brow of the hill then went back to PAS 5 and pedalling. There is another hill just before Aldi but just a short one and I managed that without the throttle. I was thrilled. On the way back, there was one short steep hill which I also managed without the throttle so the trip felt like a triumph. Pedalling felt a litlle easier than it had before. Don't know whether this was because of the checking of the tightness of the fixings or because my expectations were now different but it felt good.
5. I am still surprised by what feels like a massive difference in pedal resistance between using the throttle and pedalling (which I understand is like pedalling using the cadence sensors) and going back to the torque setting on PAS 5 but now that I understand what I have to do to ride the bike, it seems worth it.
6. I think that the Wisper design which manages to give the instant push when you set off is incredible. Neither of the cadence sensor bikes I've ridden (Radrunner Plus & Popal E-Folt 1 compare). This alone makes the Wisper 806 torque worth a million other bikes. With the previous bieks, I could pedal happily with one or other level of pAS once I'd set off, but setting off was always slightly problematic re speed at traffic lights and especially on inclines. The Wisper torque makes this problem disappear.
7. Have to add, too - and it's more than an addition, it's just that I have been almost totally focussed on how hard I had to pedal - that the Wisper is comfortable! I thought I might need a suspension seat post, but it it is not at all necessary. Don't quite know how they've done it, but the Wisper rides over potholes that can't be avoided with no trouble at all. I have been able to find a comfortable riding position because it's not only the seat height that adjusts but also the handlebar height.
8. It also has a nice rack which accomodates my panniers with the battery tucked away so no rain can get on to the connections.

I am extremely grateful for the kind and helpful comments I've had here and would like to emphasise how good I think the Wisper 806 torque bike is. More than good - excellent. I suppose I have to accept that my 72 year old legs are just not as powerful as younger legs and that even my husband's 63 year old legs are not. Before this last year, neither of us were cyclists and it's only thanks to the electric boost that we've discovered the joy of bikes at all.

I didn't think at first that my difficulty in pedalling was due to my age because I was comparing the experience with pedalling the cadence sensor bikes. Now that we know, we shall have to make a decision about whether to continue with the torque model and buy another one or whether to change the order to a Wisper cadence bike. We shall certainly stick with Wisper. Not only is the bike beautifully made with a marvellous warranty but the customer service has been second to none. I can't thank everyone enough and I'll continue to post updates on how we get on. Now I'm off to have another go on it. Thank you all so much.

ElizaQ

Dec 15, 2020
Final update for today - I took the Wisper on the 2 mile loop down to the seafront and back up the hill to home. I had it in PAS 5 all the way.

On the early steep part of the hill coming back I managed to keep pedalling without the throttle but was badly out of breath by the time i reached the brow of the first part of the hill.

There's a short downhill section before the road climbs again although the hill is not so steep as the early part. I was still out of breath but managing until I had to stop behind a car that was letting a vehicle through. At this point I blessed the Wisper because I was able to set off on the incline! A miracle. On the other bikes, I would probably have had to get off and push until I came to more level ground. For the short remaiing part of the trip home I used the throttle because I was out of breath.

Verdict so far - pedalling is exhausting even in PAS 5 but I think it's worth it for the advantage of having the instant help on set-off, particularly up hills. My plan is to go for the 2 mile loop to the seafront and back every day and hope that my fitness improves. Then I'll be able to go for longer rides. At the moment, that's about as much as I can manage in one trip. For me, riding the Wisper 806 torque is like having a gym subscription thrown in. I'm sure it is already doing me good and I'm sure it will get less hard. If it doesn't, I'll have a rethink and possibly return to a cadence sensor bike. I'd be very interested to hear if there is anyone my age who has had a similar experience. From reviews I've read, there are plenty of 70 year olds out there ebiking. Meanwhile I would like once again to thank those of you who have replied for your patience and your helpful comments.

Phil Dryden

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2018
Leicester
Final update for today - I took the Wisper on the 2 mile loop down to the seafront and back up the hill to home. I had it in PAS 5 all the way.

On the early steep part of the hill coming back I managed to keep pedalling without the throttle but was badly out of breath by the time i reached the brow of the first part of the hill.

There's a short downhill section before the road climbs again although the hill is not so steep as the early part. I was still out of breath but managing until I had to stop behind a car that was letting a vehicle through. At this point I blessed the Wisper because I was able to set off on the incline! A miracle. On the other bikes, I would probably have had to get off and push until I came to more level ground. For the short remaiing part of the trip home I used the throttle because I was out of breath.

Verdict so far - pedalling is exhausting even in PAS 5 but I think it's worth it for the advantage of having the instant help on set-off, particularly up hills. My plan is to go for the 2 mile loop to the seafront and back every day and hope that my fitness improves. Then I'll be able to go for longer rides. At the moment, that's about as much as I can manage in one trip. For me, riding the Wisper 806 torque is like having a gym subscription thrown in. I'm sure it is already doing me good and I'm sure it will get less hard. If it doesn't, I'll have a rethink and possibly return to a cadence sensor bike. I'd be very interested to hear if there is anyone my age who has had a similar experience. From reviews I've read, there are plenty of 70 year olds out there ebiking. Meanwhile I would like once again to thank those of you who have replied for your patience and your helpful comments.
Hi Elizabeth,
It has been very interesting following your experiences with the new bike. As you have discovered, its all down to the difference between a cadence sensor driven bike (which you had previously), and a torque sensor bike. I think you are doing exactly the right thing; in the initial stages stick with Level 5 maximum assist and use the cadence throttle as much as you need. It does not sound as if you are likely to exhaust the battery with fairly short rides. Then as your legs and cardio system get a little stronger you may need to use the throttle less, and eventually should be able to even drop down to Level 4 or less. As you say, if it remains too much of a struggle then you can look at your bike options again. I wish you every success.

Reactions: artspeck and ElizaQ

ElizaQ

Dec 15, 2020
Thanks so much for your advice and support. It means a lot. I'll post on progress. Thinking of all you kind people and wishing you safe riding and happy days.

Reactions: robert44 and D C

ElizaQ

Dec 15, 2020
Everyday a seafront loop and back up the hill to home. Every day a new adventure!
The last two days have thrown up some new questions. Gear questions.

Yesterday I went on the loop PAS 5 as usual. Near the seafront in All Saints St which is mostly level, I changed from gear 4 to gear 5! In the interests of full disclosure, I have to confess that this is the first time in my life I have been in gear 5. On the cadence bikes I used gear 4 for the flat and gear 3 for up hills. Nothing else. I'm afraid that I haven't been very adventurous. When I found something that worked, I just stayed with it.

Gear 5 felt good. Had to stop at the traffic lights but with the Wisper I have no fear of not being able to set off quickly enough and even in gear 5, there was no problem at all. Off I went, along by the sea and then up into the High St in the Old Town. About half way up the high street where the moderate incline is getting a little steeper I changed to gear 4. Later I came to the steep hill home and half way up that I changed to gear 3 and stayed in it until I finally got home. Puffing and panting, but I hadn't used the throttle! If I'd been going any further, I would have had to, but despite the fact that it took me a good 2 mins to recover normal breathing, I was delighted. I'd done the loop without the throttle.

Next, my husband Paul set off on the Wisper round the loop. When he got back he pointed proudly to the gears and I saw that it said 6. He'd come up the hill in gear 6. He told me that when he'd changed up from gear 5 to 6, he'd got more power and it had been easier cycling up the hill. He insisted that cycling in gear 6 was more like having the throttle on or going up a PAS level. I argued with him and said he must be wrong. I'd always heard that you should change down through the gears when going up hills and he said, yes, usually, but in this case, gear 6 had given more power. OK, I thought, let's leave it and see what happens on the next run.

That was this morning. Bright sunshine and we're now in tier 4 because of the new covid strain and the massive rise in infections so we thought there might not be many people about.

Sundays are usually the best day for biking because there is less traffic and it was the same today although there were plenty of people out and about in the Old Town. Far more than we'd expected despite the new covid regs.

My loop was the same as yesterday's except for the fact that I was getting so confident and relaxed that by mistake I changed up a gear going up the High St instead of down a gear. Whoops! Nearly fell off the bike in my amazement to see that I was in gear 6 when I'd been expecting to be in gear 4. BUT although I only stayed in gear 6 for a very short time, I did experience a little extra push from the motor. So Paul was right, I thought. But I still needed to change down because my legs are not strong enough to ride up hills in high gears (or it might be my lungs - that's what slows me down most, it's my breathing not my legs).

Once more, Paul did the loop again today and after that we sat drinking tea, grinning (because that's what biking seems to make you do) and having a debrief. He had cycled up the hill again in gear 6 and although he had arrived back a little out of breath, it was only a little. Unlike me. But we had both improved slightly on the previous day's experience.

Paul has decided that he definitely wants to opt for the Wisper with the torque sensor like mine. He says it's an acquired taste and I agree. Seems like I'm acquring it despite my expectations and lack of fitness (which I'm hopefully changing - slowly, slowly) . What makes the crucial difference in the decision to keep the torque version is the marvellous push you get from the motor when you set off. I can't begin to describe how wonderful that feels to a sometimes wobbly wimp like myself (but with the Wisper no longer!). The other essential reassurance is the throttle that will override the torque and turn it back into a cadence sensing bike should you tire on the hill.

What I'd like to ask you experts is about our experience with the gears. When you are tiring on a hill while riding a torque sensor bike, do you change up a gear or down? And a secondary question is - are all torque sensor bikes the same in this regard? The Wisper certainly seems different in its initial push when you set off which is a brilliant feature. Perhaps other settings vary from make to make?

OK, that's it for today. Thanks again for sharing your expertise and thanks so much for being encouraging.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Phil Dryden

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2018
Leicester
Everyday a seafront loop and back up the hill to home. Every day a new adventure!
The last two days have thrown up some new questions. Gear questions.

Yesterday I went on the loop PAS 5 as usual. Near the seafront in All Saints St which is mostly level, I changed from gear 4 to gear 5! In the interests of full disclosure, I have to confess that this is the first time in my life I have been in gear 5. On the cadence bikes I used gear 4 for the flat and gear 3 for up hills. Nothing else. I'm afraid that I haven't been very adventurous. When I found something that worked, I just stayed with it.

Gear 5 felt good. Had to stop at the traffic lights but with the Wisper I have no fear of not being able to set off quickly enough and even in gear 5, there was no problem at all. Off I went, along by the sea and then up into the High St in the Old Town. About half way up the high street where the moderate incline is getting a little steeper I changed to gear 4. Later I came to the steep hill home and half way up that I changed to gear 3 and stayed in it until I finally got home. Puffing and panting, but I hadn't used the throttle! If I'd been going any further, I would have had to, but despite the fact that it took me a good 2 mins to recover normal breathing, I was delighted. I'd done the loop without the throttle.

Next, my husband Paul set off on the Wisper round the loop. When he got back he pointed proudly to the gears and I saw that it said 6. He'd come up the hill in gear 6. He told me that when he'd changed up from gear 5 to 6, he'd got more power and it had been easier cycling up the hill. He insisted that cycling in gear 6 was more like having the throttle on or going up a PAS level. I argued with him and said he must be wrong. I'd always heard that you should change down through the gears when going up hills and he said, yes, usually, but in this case, gear 6 had given more power. OK, I thought, let's leave it and see what happens on the next run.

That was this morning. Bright sunshine and we're now in tier 4 because of the new covid strain and the massive rise in infections so we thought there might not be many people about.

Sundays are usually the best day for biking because there is less traffic and it was the same today although there were plenty of people out and about in the Old Town. Far more than we'd expected despite the new covid regs.

My loop was the same as yesterday's except for the fact that I was getting so confident and relaxed that by mistake I changed up a gear going up the High St instead of down a gear. Whoops! Nearly fell off the bike in my amazement to see that I was in gear 6 when I'd been expecting to be in gear 4. BUT although I only stayed in gear 6 for a very short time, I did experience a little extra push from the motor. So Paul was right, I thought. But I still needed to change down because my legs are not strong enough to ride up hills in high gears (or it might be my lungs - that's what slows me down most, it's my breathing not my legs).

Once more, Paul did the loop again today and after that we sat drinking tea, grinning (because that's what biking seems to make you do) and having a debrief. He had cycled up the hill again in gear 6 and although he had arrived back a little out of breath, it was only a little. Unlike me. But we had both improved slightly on the previous day's experience.

Paul has decided that he definitely wants to opt for the Wisper with the torque sensor like mine. He says it's an acquired taste and I agree. Seems like I'm acquring it despite my expectations and lack of fitness (which I'm hopefully changing - slowly, slowly) . What makes the crucial difference in the decision to keep the torque version is the marvellous push you get from the motor when you set off. I can't begin to describe how wonderful that feels to a sometimes wobbly wimp like myself (but with the Wisper no longer!). The other essential reassurance is the throttle that will override the torque and turn it back into a cadence sensing bike should you tire on the hill.

What I'd like to ask you experts is about our experience with the gears. When you are tiring on a hill while riding a torque sensor bike, do you change up a gear or down? And a secondary question is - are all torque sensor bikes the same in this regard? The Wisper certainly seems different in its initial push when you set off which is a brilliant feature. Perhaps other settings vary from make to make?

OK, that's it for today. Thanks again for sharing your expertise and thanks so much for being encouraging.
If I'm approaching a slight rise in the road, or perhaps even a short but stiff hill, I tend to stay in a mid to high gear and simply 'power' up it (sounds very grandiose, I like that) however on a significantly steep or prolonged climb I'm afraid my legs demand that I go down a gear or two and maybe go up a level on the assistance. However you have to keep the torque up on the pedals in order to get the most assistance out of the motor, and it may be this that you are referring to. The minute you ease off the pressure on the pedals you get less assistance, as the motor thinks you don't need it. There is a definite knack to riding any form of ebike and you will discover all these the more you experiment.

ElizaQ

Dec 15, 2020
Hi Phil - that's very helpful and that's what I'd like to do. Unfortunately - for the time being (I say optimistically) - I haven't got a level left to go up to on the assistance so I have no choice but to drop down a gear and hope that I can keep pedalling. It is extremely helpful to know what will work when (if?) I can do it - thanks so much for your information.

I wonder how long it will take for my fitness level to increase to the point where I can do what you do (and what my husband does) at least to some extent? For the time being, I'm going to try to find a way to ride without knocking myself out on the hills and hope that the effort that I am putting in will help me improve so that it won't be too long before I can cycle up hills without getting so badly out of breath. Once again, thanks so much for taking the trouble to explain what you do and how the bike works. It makes a huge difference to know that.

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
On the 806SE I'm using the throttle takes it up to 4mph/6kph?, without pedalling, in walk mode from rest (tho I try not to use it, as I understand one should get it rolling before throttling, so as not to strain the motor/battery, good job it's not a car!).
After 2 revolutions of the crank (cadence), the motor kicks in up to assist level set (usually 5 for hill and highway, 4 for town, etc, ).
Hills here can be steep, (don't know the gradients, can google maps show it?) main one requires gear 5, but the back road needs all my help in gear 2, phew, steep! (Both lev5 assist, goodness knows how much assist I would need if I couldn't pedal, hehe, level6,7,?)
I'm thinking of using the Nylon tie strap trick to operate the throttle by thumb, because it's tiring on the wrist (I find) to hold it at a given position.
+1 for a Suspension seat post, nice n cushy please. (What size is the seat post, I wonder?)
Cheers :)

Gliggsy

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
Hi, after being interested and following you posts I'm being inclined to think that you aren't using the gears on the bike as intended, it's like a car in this respect, steeper hills require lower gears, the electric side of things are there to assist, I suggest finding some slight inclines and with the electric switched off ride, change gears and understand how they work for you, when you're happy changing gear then try with assist switched on

• Agree
Reactions: D C and ElizaQ

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
On the 806SE I'm using the throttle takes it up to 4mph/6kph?, without pedalling, in walk mode from rest (tho I try not to use it, as I understand one should get it rolling before throttling, so as not to strain the motor/battery, good job it's not a car!).
After 2 revolutions of the crank (cadence), the motor kicks in up to assist level set (usually 5 for hill and highway, 4 for town, etc, ).
Hills here can be steep, (don't know the gradients, can google maps show it?) main one requires gear 5, but the back road needs all my help in gear 2, phew, steep! (Both lev5 assist, goodness knows how much assist I would need if I couldn't pedal, hehe, level6,7,?)
I'm thinking of using the Nylon tie strap trick to operate the throttle by thumb, because it's tiring on the wrist (I find) to hold it at a given position.
+1 for a Suspension seat post, nice n cushy please. (What size is the seat post, I wonder?)
Hi Mike, I am a little worried that your asist isn't kicking in until after two revolutions of the cranks, is should be about 50% of a rev. Please would you check your magnetic disc has all the magnets in place and the disc is within 4mm of the sender during the complete revolution.

All the best, David

Reactions: artspeck

ElizaQ

Dec 15, 2020
Hi Mike - thanks for this. It's so interesting learning how experienced ebikers use their bikes and so helpful. I wonder where you are with the hills so steep? I thought Hastings was full of hills but there are no mountains here. Strange that you should mention the gradients. We were talking about that last night and tried to work them out from google maps but couldn't manage it accurately. We're going to try downloading an app and sticking the phone on to the handlebars. It would be interesting to know what percentage of hill we mean by steep. Will let you know and would be interested to hear how steep your hills are (especially that one up the back road that you need gear 2 for - I feel breathless just thinking about it). Btw I didn't get a suspension seat post because the Wisper was comfortable without one. I did get a new saddle but that was enough. Thanks again.

ElizaQ

Dec 15, 2020
Hi, after being interested and following you posts I'm being inclined to think that you aren't using the gears on the bike as intended, it's like a car in this respect, steeper hills require lower gears, the electric side of things are there to assist, I suggest finding some slight inclines and with the electric switched off ride, change gears and understand how they work for you, when you're happy changing gear then try with assist switched on
Hi there. Thanks so much for this. I'm sure you're right and I'll try it.

Reactions: D C

ElizaQ

Dec 15, 2020
So is the most efficient way to ride the bike also the best way to get more assist (which I so badly need)? What is the best way to use the gears? I think you've all got to the heart of my dilemma and thanks so much for your replies.

It seems that in the short term if you are strong enough, you can power up (thanks, Phil) but as you go on to say, that would work only for short distances (and strong legs). If the hill is long then you need to go down a gear or two and possibly increase the level of assist. What I don't have at the moment is another level of assist to go to but I understand now that if I am to use the bike properly and efficiently, I need to pay attention to what Gliggsy has said (thanks so much). I need to learn how to use the gears properly.

It is inredibly interesting to hear what gears and levels of assist other people use (thanks, Mike) because I've got no other experiences with which to compare mine. Yours cheered me up no end to hear that you, too, use the throttle sometimes and your post came just at the right time when I was having a dip in confidence thinking that I might be the only person in the world who was struggling up the hills even with the torque sensor's max pedal assist.

With your combined advice, I shall attempt to learn how to use the gears better and not worry when I have to change down - but if necessary, I'll give myself a break and use the throttle every now and then. The weather is awful here this morning - grey, mist, rain, wind - a bit like the covid gloom - but it will probably brighten up later and just think - I'm the lucky one with a Wisper to joy my life and give me a bit (a bit!!!????) of a challenge. Thank you all.

Advertisers