advice needed on specs required to tow heavy load please

Jay Fora

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 3, 2014
Hi, I am suddenly looking to convert my motorised bike from petrol to electric since petrol is now illegal where I live. But I haven't got a clue what specifications of batteries and motor would meet my needs, and this is the advice I am looking for. I have to tow very heavy loads in my trailer sometimes - up to 60kg occasionally - as this is the only thing on wheels I own (No car). Heavy loads would only be towed on the flat.
Direct drive is legal here, and maximum output is around 200W. I think maximum speed of 25Kph is allowed.
Bike is aluminium. 18 speed shimano gears, 26 inch wheels, 70 mm bracket. Trailer is heavy by itself without a load.
I have to find something that will be super cheap to put together, with the help of a friend, and with clear instructions. - and still be reliable. Am a pensioner, so no more than a few hundred dollars.
Thanks, Jay
Since I wrote this, am waiting for clarity on legal points raised in discussion with Geebee below , and will edit request as soon as i get clarity from the relevent state govt dept. However in the meantime am happy to receive specs advice for either 200w direct drive, or 250 w pedal assisted, to pull a heavy load. Thanks

Last edited:

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
Hi Jay, direct drive is legal, my other post is meant to read "it is direct drive and is illegal due to being 500w" sorry for the confusion.
The law in most of Oz now also allows for the Eu bikes ie. 250w, must require pedalling to go and not exceed 25 kph under motor assist.
The older law still also applies 200w, can be throttle without pedaling and no speed limit.
So it can comply with either.

Jay Fora

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 3, 2014
Hi Geebee,
Does that mean the 200w ones go less than 25 kph, or might they soon be banned? Speed is not my priority, too many potholes, just want to avoid something that is next for 'the chop'
The NSW government transport site only gives the following info '
  • Complying 250 watt pedelacs
  • 200 watt power assisted pedal bicycles that have an electric motor' However I cannot find anywhere on the site that clarifies the difference from their point of view, It's probably exactly what you say, however I live on the border of two states, and the road rules, registration rules etc are not the same. Have used the transport site contact form to ask for clarity . Thank you, Jay

Advertisers