ADVICE NEEDED UPGRADE VOLT PULSE TO 500 OR 750W

doublestout

Pedelecer
Feb 10, 2014
Hi all, I am using bike exclusively for off road use now and would like a bit more speed out of it now. The original motor is 250W Bafang.

Would like to know if it is a matter of just purchasing a new hub/wheel or will I need to buy a full kit. My Volt Pulse has been a good reliable bike and would want to upgrade it to something which is just as reliable. The bike's battery is a 40V 16AH

Thanks...

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
you will need motor + controller. Buying a stronger motor without changing the controller won't work.

Reactions: doublestout

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Sounds like you have a battery so a new, more powerful kit will be much much cheaper (ie a new motor, LCD, controller as trex says)

Maybe a new bbs02 crank drive

doublestout

Pedelecer
Feb 10, 2014
Thanks for the advice. Decoded to go for a 500W motor wich should be fine. Was hoping I could get away with just a hub but never mind. I like the crank drives but a bit too expensive. Any recommendations for a 500W wheel kit?

doublestout

Pedelecer
Feb 10, 2014
Had another look at the crank motors they look interesting but want something to run smooth on the road and be efficient on battery power. I have only one short steep hill in my journey which my current motor handles fine so no need for thee extra torque. However already thinking of converting a cyclocross so a tempting option if that project comes off.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Thanks for the advice. Decoded to go for a 500W motor wich should be fine. Was hoping I could get away with just a hub but never mind. I like the crank drives but a bit too expensive. Any recommendations for a 500W wheel kit?
If you mean upgrade your existing bike, then you may find it more difficult than you think to upgrade.
pulse-electric-bike-lrg.jpg
If this is similar to yours, then to get more speed/power then as Trex and KirstinS say, you will need a more powerful controller and a motor capable of handling that extra power.

The problems I foresee are:
  • A more powerful controller means it will be somewhat bigger, and will not fit in the controller housing on the bike anymore.
  • You will definitely need to fit at least one torque arm.
  • Any wiring to a new controller display will not be concealed within the frame.
  • You may have issues with the rear brake disc alignment.
  • If you are not confident with a soldering iron, then it could quickly become a nightmare.
The Volt Pulse is a lovely bike and it would be a shame to ruin its aesthetics and possibly function.

Could you not keep the Volt as a commuter or spare bike, and look at buying an additional full bike from the likes of the vendor on this thread?

http://pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/ebay-seller-electric-bike-conversions-seem-to-be-doing-well.21914/

Last edited:

doublestout

Pedelecer
Feb 10, 2014
I am confident with a soldering iron etc but I take the points that you have raised. Those conversion kits look interesting.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I am confident with a soldering iron etc but I take the points that you have raised. Those conversion kits look interesting.
See you've been lying low since the start of 2014.

Time to clear out the shed, buy the other half some flowers to keep her happy, and really get stuck in to this addictive hobby :p

doublestout

Pedelecer
Feb 10, 2014
Looks as it your right. Had a look at different options and I'm thinking about getting myself one of those conversion kits from Ebay. Need to read through the above mentioned thread in more detal but they look good enough especially when a battery is thrown in. Fancied a CX bike for a while now so thinking of buying a CX and fitting a front 500W hub to it. Used a 200W front hub so not totally unfamiliar in the pit falls. Narrowed my selection of a new Cyclo Cross down to 3 bikes. Just a matter of going for test rides.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
If you want more power, you need more traction for control. don't stick anything more than 350W geared hub to the front wheel. From 250W to 750W, CD is still best for power delivery, beyond that, go for a rear motor wheel.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Looks as it your right. Had a look at different options and I'm thinking about getting myself one of those conversion kits from Ebay. Need to read through the above mentioned thread in more detal but they look good enough especially when a battery is thrown in. Fancied a CX bike for a while now so thinking of buying a CX and fitting a front 500W hub to it. Used a 200W front hub so not totally unfamiliar in the pit falls. Narrowed my selection of a new Cyclo Cross down to 3 bikes. Just a matter of going for test rides.
Not much point in test riding the bikes.

Any fine nuances of lightweight cycling will be obliterated by the kit.

The only important thing is the bike is a good fit.

You can get a good idea of that by sitting on it or from a short ride, but you will only truly know after you've done a few hundred miles and some longer rides.

I'm not sure about your plan to put a powerful hub motor into a CX rear wheel.

Should work if you buy the motor already laced into a 700c wheel, but the wheel itself will be chunkier and may have more spokes, so won't come close to matching the front.

doublestout

Pedelecer
Feb 10, 2014
I have a basic idea of what bikes will be comfortable for example the Pinnacle and Janis from Evans. Just buying bottom to mid range as no point buying a super light bike. Following purchase get fitted to the bike then convert. Still contemplating CT but the hub option is economical.

doublestout

Pedelecer
Feb 10, 2014
I have a basic idea of what bikes will be comfortable for example the Pinnacle and Janis from Evans. Just buying bottom to mid range as no point buying a super light bike. Following purchase get fitted to the bike then convert. Still contemplating CT but the hub option is economical. Planning to buy the wheel already built. Been years since I built a wheel and don't have my spoke charts etc. So easiest option is to have the wheel built.