Advice Nottinghamshire

russdcycle

Just Joined
Apr 14, 2019
I am new to the forum and I am really keen to fit a middrive system to my Vitus sentiere MTB. I have been looking at bafang but the amount of different combinations confuse me. I know about the law and 250w but fancy being a rebel. Is there anywhere near me in Nottinghamshire or Midlands area who stock the system for me to query?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
There might be someone, but I never heard of anybody there that does them. If you want a bit more power, but still legal, you should look for the 25 amp "250W" version, which is basically the 500W BBS02 badged as a 250W. I'm not sure where you get it from, but I'd try Brighton E-bikes first. You can set the speed to whatever you want, though 15.5 mph is the legal limit with a 10% tolerance on it. Bear in mind that if you want to go fast, you'll need a strong battery with enough capacity. Don't think about getting a cheap one unless you want to run with low power.

Your bike looks good as a donor bike. You might want to think about getting the optional gear sensor with your motor to save mashed gears.

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
I am new to the forum and I am really keen to fit a middrive system to my Vitus sentiere MTB. I have been looking at bafang but the amount of different combinations confuse me. I know about the law and 250w but fancy being a rebel. Is there anywhere near me in Nottinghamshire or Midlands area who stock the system for me to query?
just buy a bafang bbshd and the biggest capacity 52v battery with good quality high current cells. ITS the best everything else is inferior.

russdcycle

Just Joined
Apr 14, 2019
i didnt realise that the bafang unit is just a on off scooter type drive. I want one that increases while i pedal if that makes sense? does the TSDZ2 do this type of thing? i trialed a bosch system and want something similar but obviously cheaper that i can retro fit to my existing bike

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The bbs01/2 or hd are far more than just a scooter drive with up to 9 variable power levels and you can adjust the pedal assist for as much or as little assistance as you want. Adjustment are made quickly on a laptop fitting is a day or less the smiles last much longer
Still not fitted a TSDZ yet but did blag a test ride on a 750watt from the us on a fat bike it had had the shaft conversion to fit the bb and the hot controller mod I did not buy one bought yet another bbs

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
there's nothing wrong with a BBS**. Thousands of people are using them happily. the Bosch system is quite sophisticated. It isn't just the harder you pedal, the more power you get. it uses other factors to work out how much power to give. Some other systems that use torque sensors are horrible.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
I agree but we get what we pay for with the bbs a basic mid drive with no frills :) but once you learn a few howto tricks and do simple adjustments it comes to life more smiles per pound

russdcycle

Just Joined
Apr 14, 2019
thanks for replies but i have another potential problem. I found a thread from 2016 where someone had a problem fitting the bbs as there are 3 lugs in the way on the vitus. ive attached the photo from the thread and mine is the same.

Attachments