Help! Advice on an ebike conversion

Jaxter

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2020
Hi all
Having not been on a bike for about 22yrs i recently got myself a fiido d4s, i absolutely love it, i would now like convert my Giant Boulder alux 6000.
I was thinking about rear hub motor kit or mid drive from Bafang i would like slighty more power as there are a few steep hills where i can feel that my current bikes motor is feeling the strain i am just shy of 18 stone.
I find that i stay in one gear mainly and use throttle to start from a stop, and then use PAS 1 when pedestrians are about PAS 2 for gently cruising the roads and PAS 3 on the hills, in my minds eye the perfect set up would be 500-1000w rear hub motor or mid drive, hydraulic disc brakes and i think i'd be best off with a simple 3 speed igh.
So i guess i'm asking if this is a feasible set up and some general direction on if it would all go together on aforementioned bike, and some pointers on which bits i'd need to get.
Thanks

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Most of those nominally powerful motors are direct drive, very inefficient at everything except going fast on the flat, especially inefficient going up hills, chew up battery, and of course illegal to ride on roads, bridleways, tow paths etc.

Nominal internally geared 250w drives actually generate up to 700w or more for short periods, and are much more efficient.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Giant Boulder alux 6000 would be an easy bike to convert whatever way you go. A normal geared hub motor (36v or 48v) run at 48v will give you a powerful and reliable solution.

At 18 stone, I'd go for one of the bigger ones, like the Bafang CST for cassette gears. Has your bike got freewheel gears, in which case the Bafang BPM would be a better solution?

Reactions: Jaxter

Jaxter

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2020
Thanks for taking the time to help vfr400, I only brought the bike today especially for this project, i rode it home from the sellers house which was a 4 mile journey, what i learned is i hated pedalling hard, an that my new ebike is even better then i thought when i was already loving it.
I think that i have freewheel gears Shimano 3x7 Shifter EF500 is what are on the bike (i hated changing the gears clunky n crunchy)
I would not be bothered about stripping the existing gear system out for something more suitable to an ebikes needs.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Thanks for taking the time to help vfr400, I only brought the bike today especially for this project, i rode it home from the sellers house which was a 4 mile journey, what i learned is i hated pedalling hard, an that my new ebike is even better then i thought when i was already loving it.
I think that i have freewheel gears Shimano 3x7 Shifter EF500 is what are on the bike (i hated changing the gears clunky n crunchy)
I would not be bothered about stripping the existing gear system out for something more suitable to an ebikes needs.
I'm not sure what Woosh have in the way of kits for heavier riders. Maybe give them a call.
Topbikekit have the Bafang BPM:
This controller plus the LCD3 would work well with it:

Then choose any 48v battery that can give 25 amps or more continuous.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

Jaxter

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2020
Hi all, so i finally got some time to look at the Giant Boulder alux 6000 series bike i brought, and thought the first step i'd take was upgrading to hyrdraulic disc brakes.
I think i may have already messed up as the wheels dont seem to have the 6 bolt holes for the disc brake rotors, after looking at a few wheels with the appropiate fittings, it would end up costing more then the entire bike.
So my question is would i be better off getting rid of the giant and getting another bike for my ebike project or is there another solution

eFred

Pedelecer
Jul 21, 2020
Does the frame and forks have the mounting points for the disc brake calipers. If there and you used a rear hub kit you'd only need a new front wheel to have disc brakes all round. If not there look for a different bike.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
hydraulic brakes are good but the only practical solution to give your Giant Boulder Aluxx 6000 hydraulic brakes is to use the expensive Magura kit because your bike does not have mounting lugs for disc brakes.
As you said, the kit will cost more than the bike. It's just not worth the expense. Keep the brakes like they are.

Reactions: Andy1865

Jaxter

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2020
hydraulic brakes are good but the only practical solution to give your Giant Boulder Aluxx 6000 hydraulic brakes is to use the expensive Magura kit because your bike does not have mounting lugs for disc brakes.
As you said, the kit will cost more than the bike. It's just not worth the expense. Keep the brakes like they are.
Thanks for the clear and concise answer, i think the route im going to go is sell the boulder and start over, disc brakes for me are an absolute must on an ebike for me.

Jaxter

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2020
Hi all, i finally got rid of the Giant Boulder lost 40 quid on it but better that then it hanging around annoying the mrs.
I have now brought a Carerra Vengeance (with mech disc brakes :) ) and have settled on a Bafang BBS02B 48V 750, as the motor for me, partly as being on the heavier side going up and down kerbs wth my existing rear hub bike does not feel conducive to the health of the motor, i will of course do the majority of my riding about in low speeds as im quiet happy to just cruise along and only engage more powerful modes on the hills.
I would like to start purchasing everything so would like a comprehensive shopping list, also if i was to upgrade to hydraulic brakes what size rotors to go for.
Thanks in advance

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
Hi all, i finally got rid of the Giant Boulder lost 40 quid on it but better that then it hanging around annoying the mrs.
I have now brought a Carerra Vengeance (with mech disc brakes :) ) and have settled on a Bafang BBS02B 48V 750, as the motor for me, partly as being on the heavier side going up and down kerbs wth my existing rear hub bike does not feel conducive to the health of the motor, i will of course do the majority of my riding about in low speeds as im quiet happy to just cruise along and only engage more powerful modes on the hills.
I would like to start purchasing everything so would like a comprehensive shopping list, also if i was to upgrade to hydraulic brakes what size rotors to go for.
Thanks in advance
If you go for a Bafang BBS02B 48V 750 watt, you will need a quality built, high Ah battery to get any mileage out of the unit. The 750w version is powerful and quick, but eats power! Dont skimp on the battery.
Ive got this powering my 750w BBS02 https://eclipsebikes.com/product_info.php?products_id=175 not cheap

As for brakes, I haven't found any condition where a 160mm rotor couldn't cope

Jaxter

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2020
Thanks MontyPaS i'll defnitely not skimp on the battery, especially now knowing its a hungry beast, i was thinking to pair it with a 48v 17Ah battery, so good to know im on the right track.

Reactions: MontyPAS

Jaxter

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2020
Thanks MontyPaS i'll defnitely not skimp on the battery, especially now knowing its a hungry beast, i was thinking to pair it with a 48v 17Ah battery, so good to know im on the right track.
Well a little update after messing up with the original boulder , i got the carerra vengeance, once i'd picked the motor and battery. i realised that i had messed up again :rolleyes:.
On checking the dimensions of 48v 17.5ah batteries i was never going to be able to fit it into the triangle.
So here i go again. luckily the gumtree seller i had a brought the carerra Vengeance off had a large framed carerra centros and was wlling to do a straight swap.
I have all my bits sitting here, just waitng on the battery, can anyone point me in the direction of a good light that can be connected to the bbs02, preferably in the uk.

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
I find that i stay in one gear mainly and use throttle to start from a stop, and then use PAS 1 when pedestrians are about PAS 2 for gently cruising the roads and PAS 3 on the hills, in my minds eye the perfect set up would be 500-1000w rear hub motor or mid drive, hydraulic disc brakes and i think i'd be best off with a simple 3 speed igh.
Spammer/bot reported (repeating text form first post in this thread)

R Benny Waered

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 12, 2020
How did you get on - its these absolute 'gotchas' that are preventing me from pushing the button :-(

Jaxter

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2020
How did you get on - its these absolute 'gotchas' that are preventing me from pushing the button :-(
All my bits are here im just waitng on my mechanic friend to pick it all up and start the job, made a little difficult in the current health climate.
Thankfully im in no great hurry, once he gets started i'll update on any unforseen obstacles.