Advice on Commuter ebike

Leonzos

Just Joined
Jan 10, 2014
Hi there,

New to the forum and new to e-bikes. I want to commute to work on an bike but obviously I need a bit of advice as it's such a huge purchase. I've been using a normal push bike to go the 12 miles to work and back. Doubtlessly due to my love of beer and kebabs I'm not as fit as I could be at 41. I can do the cycle no problem but I'm covered in sweat at the end of it. My solution has been to cycle to a leisure centre, shower, and then come into work smelling off roses but that puts an extra 20 minutes on my morning commute and I am NOT a morning person.

The bus is expensive and takes an age and of course they often don't come.

So I figured a bike of some sort. The ones I really like the look of don't look like e-bikes. The stromer and the emotion neo cross. But they are very expensive. Anything between £800 and £1600 that could fit the bill. I like the idea of having disc breaks too as I always seem to have a problem with normal ones. And tyres that are puncture resistant as standard.

Any help?

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Have you looked at the Kudos range? The newer ones are pretty stealthy looking.

An other option is build from a kit. A good option if you already have a decent bike that you like.

You will get more sound advice from others if you add some info about your weight, range (e.g whether you can charge up at work or not), Terrain, and desired speed.

Oh, and welcome BTW.

D

Deleted member 4366

The Mosso is the best value by far in that price range, but not a UK supplier, so effectively no warranty. We need a guinea-pig to try one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2013-36V-350W-27-speed-MOSSO-A-Ebike-with-36V-12AH-Lithium-Battery-Electric-Bike-/171205737534?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item27dca83c3e

If you want low cost, there's this one, or have a look at the Woosh bikes:
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/best-value-entry-level-bike-new-vita-uno-26.16510/

If you want a bit more torque for hill-climbing, the Kudos Tornado.

If you want fast comfortable commuting with good torque for hill-climbing, the Ezee bikes. Only the more expensive ones have high torque.

Leonzos

Just Joined
Jan 10, 2014
Thanks for the replies. That's a load of bikes to think about. Anyone know about these two.

Roodog avatar

Burisch Synergy GT250

Reliability is fairly important as it's for work.

Leonzos

Just Joined
Jan 10, 2014
I weigh about 90 kgs, maybe more since Chrimbo. It's mostly up hill 10 miles to work and mostly (of course) downhill back. I suppose I'd want a real world range of 20 miles without a charge.

Last edited:
C

Cyclezee

If you want fast comfortable commuting with good torque for hill-climbing, the Ezee bikes. Only the more expensive ones have high torque.
and all of them are within the budget of Leonzos.

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
You might just get a Kalkhoff Pro Connect X24 within that budget if you're lucky and the offer is still open. Check out the 50cycles website.

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
If you are not planning on many muddy fields, I would suggest going with a 700c wheeled ebike. They generally have a greater range that their 26" counter parts simply because of the thinner, higher pressure tyres offering lower rolling resistance. For under £1600 the best one I have seen and test rode was the Raleigh Cite 700c at £1450. It had a 12 amp battery and a claimed range of 40 miles.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
If you are not planning on many muddy fields, I would suggest going with a 700c wheeled ebike. They generally have a greater range that their 26" counter parts simply because of the thinner, higher pressure tyres offering lower rolling resistance. For under £1600 the best one I have seen and test rode was the Raleigh Cite 700c at £1450. It had a 12 amp battery and a claimed range of 40 miles.
But, if you like a somewhat softer ride along with easy rolling, try a 29er with fat tyres..

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
But, if you like a somewhat softer ride along with easy rolling, try a 29er with fat tyres..
Yes indeed, 29ers are great. My Marin push bike has them. Getting a 29er ebike under the £1600 budget may be a challenge.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
leonzos,
if you are cost conscious, forget the German bikes. Their running cost exceeds 50p a mile.
Also, a big 500WH battery is very useful for the range and to reduce the number of charging cycles.

Last edited:

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
leonzos,
if you are cost conscious, forget the German bikes. Their running cost exceeds 50p a mile.
Also, a big 500WH battery is very useful for the range and to reduce the number of charging cycles.
50p per mile. Are you paying someone to ride it for you?

I've done the maths on mine over a 3 year period and selling the bike at the end. Less than 5p per mile.
Based on a realistic 18000 miles over the period.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Hi there,

New to the forum and new to e-bikes. I want to commute to work on an bike but obviously I need a bit of advice as it's such a huge purchase. I've been using a normal push bike to go the 12 miles to work and back. Doubtlessly due to my love of beer and kebabs I'm not as fit as I could be at 41. I can do the cycle no problem but I'm covered in sweat at the end of it. My solution has been to cycle to a leisure centre, shower, and then come into work smelling off roses but that puts an extra 20 minutes on my morning commute and I am NOT a morning person.

The bus is expensive and takes an age and of course they often don't come.

So I figured a bike of some sort. The ones I really like the look of don't look like e-bikes. The stromer and the emotion neo cross. But they are very expensive. Anything between £800 and £1600 that could fit the bill. I like the idea of having disc breaks too as I always seem to have a problem with normal ones. And tyres that are puncture resistant as standard.

Any help?
Our new Click range is now fully available, would do what you require and benefits from 10% discount during January (use "Pedelecs" code at the checkout).

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
50p per mile. Are you paying someone to ride it for you?

I've done the maths on mine over a 3 year period and selling the bike at the end. Less than 5p per mile.
Based on a realistic 18000 miles over the period.
if you don't mind me asking, which bike did you ride in those 3 years?
A recent post tells the story of ebay.steve121uk:
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/2nd-hand-pro-connect.11926/
and his advert on ebay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electric-Bike-Kalkhoff-Pro-Connect-55cm-9G-e-series-/251083044751?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item3a75b7378f#ht_500wt_1364

RRP £2,500 1 year old, starting bid: £250
No bid.

Briefly, he bought the Kalkhoff Proconnect for 20 miles commute, used it for one year then put the bike on ebay. Second hand high milers do not do well, German or Chinese, no difference.
You have to be prepared to write off your investment when you stop using your bike for commuting.
It saves you a lot of money to stick to the essential requirements.

Last edited:

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
leonzos,
50p/mile? I could run a Jag for that sort of money.

Seroiuosly, I run a 1.8 petrol Focus for about 32p/mile all in. It has roof bars, air con and I drive it like I'm late for my appointment at Dignitas.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
if you don't mind me asking, which bike did you ride in those 3 years?
A recent post tells the story of ebay.steve121uk:
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/2nd-hand-pro-connect.11926/
and his advert on ebay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electric-Bike-Kalkhoff-Pro-Connect-55cm-9G-e-series-/251083044751?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item3a75b7378f#ht_500wt_1364

RRP £2,500 1 year old, starting bid: £250
No bid.

Briefly, he bought the Kalkhoff Proconnect for 20 miles commute, used it for one year then put the bike on ebay. Second hand high milers do not do well, German or Chinese, no difference.
You have to be prepared to write off your investment when you stop using your bike for commuting.
It saves you a lot of money to stick to the essential requirements.
The bike has yet to complete the 3 years but it is a KTM macina 29.
Even if I gave it away after 3 years I could not get to 50ppm.

Like anything, you have to use it fully to get your money's worth.
Mine, £2200 over 18000 miles or 3 years. 3 sets of tyres, minimal elec bill for daily charging. Take into account the 600 gallons of diesel saved.

Sell the bike for £1.00 after 3 years and start again.

Reactions: trex

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
The bike has yet to complete the 3 years but it is a KTM macina 29.
Even if I gave it away after 3 years I could not get to 50ppm.

Like anything, you have to use it fully to get your money's worth.
Mine, £2200 over 18000 miles or 3 years. 3 sets of tyres, minimal elec bill for daily charging. Take into account the 600 gallons of diesel saved.

Sell the bike for £1.00 after 3 years and start again.
You can't take the cost of Diesel into account when calculating cost/mile of an electric bike.

Last edited:

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
You can't take the cost of Diesel into account when calculating cost/mile of an electric bike.
I can if I wish to know the real cost to my wallet.

Having said that, one can take out the diesel but it would still be impossible to get to 50ppm. My car doesn't cost that much.