Advice on e bike suitability for chronic pain/fatigue

Eagleowl

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2019
Hello! I'm a complete newbie to e bikes and am considering buying an e bike...

I haven't ridden my old Ridgeback hybrid since the late nineties and later became very unwell with CFS/FM in 2002. I have moderate to severe chronic pain and fatigue with asthma and osteoporosis. I have pretty much given up driving due to medication side effects but bus services around Hampshire countryside are few, expensive and take forever. I have no local train station either so desperate to get some of my independence back and get out of my village to sight see, shop a bit and to hopefully get fitter without exhausting myself. E bikes sound like a real answer.

I really love the idea of using an e bike and have read some posts from other members who also have ME/FM etc. which has given me some confidence. I know we are all very different but I should love to hear about your experiences with e bikes from those who have ME/FM. And whether it is even safe for me to ride.

I have really enjoyed reading this forum in the last few weeks and it seems like a really friendly and helpful community here. Thank you!

Last edited:

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Hi
Welcome to the site
I hope you find what your looking for soon

Eagleowl

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2019
Thank you Fat Rat!
I just hope I haven't put too many people off!!!

Would be very interested to know which bikes those of you with chronic fatigue in particular choose...

Laser Man

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2018
Michelmersh SO51
Most bike shops should let you have a reasonably long test ride and Halfords are still offering a 48 hour test, so it's pretty easy to have a go and see how you get on.

If you maintained the Ridgeback yourself back in the day, you should be able to fit a kit from Woosh or similar firms and save some money.

I suffered from an increasingly painful arthritic knee for two years - it got so bad I couldn't walk any distance at all. Electrifying my old bike meant I was suddenly able to get about again, even though my muscles had wasted and I had no stamina (and asthma).
I've now had a knee replacement and I'm slowly getting stronger, but I'm still very much enjoying pedelecing.

Reactions: Eagleowl

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
Woosh kit or a Woosh Rio bike are the obvious suggestions.
Woosh Rio

Many of us ride bikes with torque sensing mid-drives that act as a multiplier to your own input, but with ME I don't think you'll want that. You'll want a bike that can provide full power if you spin the wheels barely at all - which is what I understand the Woosh bikes do.

Woosh is good value and has great support here on this forum.

Eagleowl

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2019
Wow, thank you both so much Laser Man and Andy McNish. I hope you continue to get stronger and increase your stamina- sounds like you are doing really well. I should never have thought of fitting a motor myself though I've never been very handy with bikes, but it's certainly something to seriously consider or possibly even a Woosh bike...which I hadn't yet looked at. This is why this forum is great and it is truly impartial and inclusive of all ages and abilities!!!

Eagleowl

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2019
Woosh kit or a Woosh Rio bike are the obvious suggestions.
Woosh Rio

Many of us ride bikes with torque sensing mid-drives that act as a multiplier to your own input, but with ME I don't think you'll want that. You'll want a bike that can provide full power if you spin the wheels barely at all - which is what I understand the Woosh bikes do.

Woosh is good value and has great support here on this forum.
Sounds ideal for minimum effort! Thank you so much Andy.

Eagleowl

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2019
Most bike shops should let you have a reasonably long test ride and Halfords are still offering a 48 hour test, so it's pretty easy to have a go and see how you get on.

If you maintained the Ridgeback yourself back in the day, you should be able to fit a kit from Woosh or similar firms and save some money.

I suffered from an increasingly painful arthritic knee for two years - it got so bad I couldn't walk any distance at all. Electrifying my old bike meant I was suddenly able to get about again, even though my muscles had wasted and I had no stamina (and asthma).
I've now had a knee replacement and I'm slowly getting stronger, but I'm still very much enjoying pedelecing.
Thank you for your advice and I shall look into it for sure though no mechanic! Keep pedelecing!!!

Eagleowl

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2019
Yes, in your situation look for a bike that has a `cadence` sensor as opposed to a `torque` sensor - it just means you turn the pedals and get assist without any effort
Thank you Tommie for explaining all this unfamiliar jargon which is very helpful when you don't know anything about bikes let alone electric powered ones. Wish I'd inherited my father's classic motorbike engineer genes... So kind of all of explain stuff.

D

Deleted member 128

You really should visit as many ebike suppliers as you can to try out different bikes, they vary a huge amount in terms of power assistance, ease of wheeling around, comfort in riding, ease of mounting, ease of moving off, ease of riding etc etc.

Eagleowl

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2019
Thank you Electrifly! I know I need to do this but difficult (and can be very tiring) to get to some of them in my area by public transport. But I agree. Just trying to do some research into best options online beforehand to save energy. ;)

D

Deleted member 128

Thank you Electrifly! I know I need to do this but difficult (and can be very tiring) to get to some of them in my area by public transport. But I agree. Just trying to do some research into best options online beforehand to save energy. ;)
You might want to try phoning them first to see what they recommend and find out whether they feel they have anything suitable before you visit them. Also try contacting Woosh at:
http://wooshbikes.co.uk

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Yes, you definitely want a cadence sensing bike (also known as p.a.s.) This gives you power by sensing the rotation of the peddles and giving you the power level set on the handlebar control. If/when you get tired you can merely rotate the peddles and get power to get you home. Of course, the less effort you are able to put in yourself the more your battery range will be reduced, so buy the biggest battery you can afford and think is practical.
There are two types of motor available, hub motors and crank or mid drive. The former are the ones that are pas.
Then there is the issue of throttles. Most come with a throttle that is restricted to walk assist, this is a limit of 6Km/h. However, some offer a throttle that is fitted by the owner this gets around the law (too boring to explain here) and can be a full acting throttle. With this you could get home with no peddling. Woosh can certaily advise on this, but I think Juicy and Wisper are also worth a look. All have a good customer service presence on the forum.
As to fitting kits, possibly the easiest is a front hub kit. A rear hub gives slightly better traction but you can have chain line issues during fitting. Plenty of practical help to be had here and most issues can be guided around with the help of photo's.

I can't comment on your specific condition, but I would think that as long as your sense of balance is OK you should do alright. A friend of mine who visits us in hilly West Wales, has reduced lung capacity and asthma. When here he uses our 'guest bike' (front hub conversion) with no apparent problems.

Good luck and may the e bike grin find you and serve you well:)

p.s. I think it is your circumstance that e-bikes are very useful for and can aid in general health and well being. This why I believe there is a case for them being available with NHS assistance. Fat chance and I'm sure the powers that be would severely screw it up if they tried.

Last edited:

Eagleowl

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2019
Benjahmin, Thank you!

What a wonderful description and summary of what you all so far have recommended which again backs up more late reading of some older ME- related forum posts very early this morning! It is very interesting how much more knowledgeable and tolerant so many cyclists ( I should say far more than the average person) are about ME, both those who have it and those who don't but know people who do. This has been an eye opener for me which has surprised and reassured me enormously as there is so much ignorance around plus there have been some brilliant descriptions of the energy issues.

I was beginning to think I might have been too optimistic/premature in my hopes (it's not the best time of year to be thinking about biking again when in a flare ) and was just reading about motability scooters when your reply pinged up! :eek:

Thank goodness there is a half- way house between bussing, walking and mobility scooters which I'm not really needing and you've restored my faith in this mad idea. :p

I now have a list of essential features to look for and a choice between fitting out my old bike or buying afresh. I'd been looking at Juicy bikes already and heard whispers about Wisper too so together with Woosh of course I shall be investigating further... and I like the sound of retro fitting a throttle.

So tired, but so excited too. And interesting to hear of your friend's experience with your guest bike too- I have been to west Wales so know that's no mean feat with or without asthma and low lung capacities! Looking forward to grinning/gurning again in what has been a very long time... Shall post again if and when I manage it!:D

Thank you again to all of you for probably going over what might be old ground but I really do appreciate your time and trouble to answer my questions in such detail.;)

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I was beginning to think I might have been too optimistic/premature in my hopes (it's not the best time of year to be thinking about biking again when in a flare ) and was just reading about motability scooters when your reply pinged up! :eek:

Thank goodness there is a half- way house between bussing, walking and mobility scooters which I'm not really needing and you've restored my faith in this mad idea. :p
I was looking at mobility scooters and that got me onto e-bikes, my first one had a throttle which I thought I'd need, in reality I found it more comfortable to pedal rather than just sitting there.
So my next bike didn't have a throttle and I don't miss it at all, however it sounds like in your case it will be needed along with just a cadence sensor (mines a torque sensor Bosch) I don't have fibromyalgia though or any other health issues bar ME, and importantly I was a very fit cyclist prior to developing ME almost 13 years ago now.

I love my e-bike because it allows me to cycle in the very hilly area where I live and means I can keep the effort I put in at a level that doesn't make me ill for several days afterwards, although initially you will feel the effects, and it may well make you unwell at times.

Good luck.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Some suppliers will send out a bike for you to try and send it back if it isn't for you at a reasonable cost, well at least they used to do. adding your rough location may help.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
p.s. I think it is your circumstance that e-bikes are very useful for and can aid in general health and well being. This why I believe there is a case for them being available with NHS assistance. Fat chance and I'm sure the powers that be would severely screw it up if they tried.
I have no doubt they would save the NHS millions for people with a whole range of illnesses, the trouble would be in getting these people to actually get out there on the bike and do some exercise.

As an example my brother weighs 22 stone and my sister 24 stone, it would take some serious persuasion to get them two to change their life-time habits.