Advice Required

supersneak

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 20, 2015
Looking to take the pedelec plunge later this year, or early next year. A change in my commute will mean a nasty climb on the way home, and my 59 vintage legs will struggle - especially when you add the effects of the Aberdeen wind, always seems to be a headwind. The commute would be a 10 mile round trip, so the bike could be charged daily if required.

At the moment, I'm looking at something like the Woosh Sport CD / Kreiger or, at a stretch, the Kudos Eiger with the NuVinci hub, but the easiest purchase would probably be the new Carrera Crossfire-E from my local Halfords, especially as I have access to their Cycle2Work scheme which would reduce the cost.

Any suggestions or advice welcomed.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
If you are OK with looking after your bike yourself then I would suggest that a GSM kit is just as good as the woosh Krieger or Sport CD. Woosh offer the GSM with 11.6AH bottle battery for £499 or with 15AH battery for £549.The difference in price with the Krieger is more than enough to cover the cost of the Carrera.
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?cdkit

This is a Whyte Malvern with a BBS01 CD kit and 15AH battery, IMHO nicer looking than the Sport CD:

supersneak

Oct 20, 2015
I did look into a conversion, but my existing bike, Specialized Tricross, is 9 years old, and I don't think the canti brakes would cope with the extra weight of a motor and battery - and converting to discs would be difficult.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
You can convert to hydraulic V-brakes, just one on the front copes quite well, stoppy well! :cool:

supersneak

Oct 20, 2015
Hi Trex

Appreciate your comments, I'll pop into Halfords at the weekend - looking at their website, they seem to have the bike in stock.

Cheers

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
If Halfords were selling that Carrera Crossfire E a couple of years ago, i would have bought that, instead of doing a conversion on my Carrera Crossfire 1.
Not bad spec, hydraulic brakes and looks real good.

supersneak

Oct 20, 2015
Hi Yamdude

The Suntour HESC system on the Crossfire-E seems a bit of a rarity, but according to the Suntour website the specifications are:

Nominal power: 250 W

Maximum power: 400 W

Maximum torque: 50 Nm

Seems healthy enough.