Aftermarket non-genuine Bosch battery received for testing

El Champiero

Pedelecer
Nov 25, 2013
Bristol
Dear all,

I have now received the 8.8AH Bosch type battery from a company called Fine Dragon Technology on Alibaba. It cost me a total of $200 including the carriage which was via TNT.

I was able to get this battery as a sample on the potential basis that if I find it to be as good as the original I may well buy more and act as a mini distributor to anyone who may be interested. This is very early days at the moment.

The packaging was very good - a thick cardboard box with packing foam each short side and this was inside another outer box. However, one important omission was the lack of Li ion hazard markings. The official paperwork from China described it as a "charger". I think this was done to get around more expensive carriage fees from TNT. If I order more I will be sure to first inform them about this as from a regulatory point of view it is not something I would want to get into trouble for if I order more of them.

Construction looks very similar to the Bosch battery. Casing is made out of ABS and the only real differences are the markings on the outer case. They claim that the same Samsung cells used in the genuine batteries are utilised. I don't want to open it up just yet - I know that some real life testing on my commute will soon reveal how well the cells can handle quite high discharges on a de-restricted bike.

Other things I have noticed in comparison with the genuine battery:

• The green LED indicator lights are much brighter
  • The strap is a tiny bit narrower
  • There is no little rubber bumper on the battery underside. Whilst on the bike this is not noticeable and could be easily sorted in any case.
  • There is a swish pattern on each side of the battery
  • Only the 8.8aH battery is available both in the frame style and rack style. I don't think they do a 11aH one though I think this could well be on the horizon.
  • Once I have tested it out, I'll report back. For now, I have attached a few photos:
IMAG0338.jpg IMAG0339.jpg

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Good luck. If it works out, replacement Bosch batteries for $200 will make the system even more appealing.

Hugh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
It'll be very interesting to know how you get on and what issues (if any) arise.

Even better would be if you were somehow able to get it checked out on a Bosch diagnostic system to see if it's compatible.

I notice they also do Panasonic batteries, so that's the quality e-bike market pretty much covered.

El Champiero

Pedelecer
Nov 25, 2013
Bristol
I think I might just be able to get it checked on a Bosch diagnostic device as I know a nearby e bike retailer who sells Bosch equipped bikes who (I think) has this kit.

Hugh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
I think I might just be able to get it checked on a Bosch diagnostic device as I know a nearby e bike retailer who sells Bosch equipped bikes who (I think) has this kit.
If he'll let you try a non-Bosch product on his kit ;)

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Dear all,

I have now received the 8.8AH Bosch type battery from a company called Fine Dragon Technology on Alibaba. It cost me a total of $200 including the carriage which was via TNT.

I was able to get this battery as a sample on the potential basis that if I find it to be as good as the original I may well buy more and act as a mini distributor to anyone who may be interested. This is very early days at the moment.

The packaging was very good - a thick cardboard box with packing foam each short side and this was inside another outer box. However, one important omission was the lack of Li ion hazard markings. The official paperwork from China described it as a "charger". I think this was done to get around more expensive carriage fees from TNT. If I order more I will be sure to first inform them about this as from a regulatory point of view it is not something I would want to get into trouble for if I order more of them.

Construction looks very similar to the Bosch battery. Casing is made out of ABS and the only real differences are the markings on the outer case. They claim that the same Samsung cells used in the genuine batteries are utilised. I don't want to open it up just yet - I know that some real life testing on my commute will soon reveal how well the cells can handle quite high discharges on a de-restricted bike.

Other things I have noticed in comparison with the genuine battery:

• The green LED indicator lights are much brighter
  • The strap is a tiny bit narrower
  • There is no little rubber bumper on the battery underside. Whilst on the bike this is not noticeable and could be easily sorted in any case.
  • There is a swish pattern on each side of the battery
  • Only the 8.8aH battery is available both in the frame style and rack style. I don't think they do a 11aH one though I think this could well be on the horizon.
  • Once I have tested it out, I'll report back. For now, I have attached a few photos:
View attachment 8095 View attachment 8094
Hi El Champiero,

I wondered, how are you getting on with this battery? Have you put it on a bike? Is it any good?

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Surely if ordered in larger numbers then you will need to factor in import duty/VAT and the fact that if some fail within 12 months you will need to replace them ?

I would suggest that this would significantly increase the cost you could then sell them for ?

Jerry

Reactions: Martin@e-bikeshop

El Champiero

Pedelecer
Nov 25, 2013
Bristol
Hi all,

It's been ages since I was last on here. Been sorting out house stuff and new job and all that. Busy times!

Anyway,

I can honestly say that my non genuine battery is performing very well since I have been using it starting from mid March.

It might actually be slightly better performing than the actual Bosch one.

A true test will be after say, 8 -9 months of usage. I reckon it should be fine.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Pleased to hear that the battery is performing well.

I'm staggered that you managed to import one for $200 including the battery and shipping. They wanted nearly $300 off me just to send the battery. The unit cost of $140 was on top of this making it too close to UK prices to bother with. A shame because the battery price is good, but the crazy shipping cost kills the deal.