Agattu Crossbar Frame v Pro-Connect, What's The Difference

C

Cyclezee

I understand these are 2 different 'Diamond' frame bikes from Kalkhoff with the same Panasonic motor etc.
Am I correct in thinking the Agattu has front suspension, hub dynamo, 7 gears and a suspension seat post and the Pro-Connect has no suspension, 8 gears, battery powered lighting?
Or is this not the case? I would also assume the Pro-Connect to be lighter than the Agattu?
Unfortunately, there are no photos of the Agattu (Herren Trekking) on the Kalkhoff website to help clarify this.

John

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, that it on all points, the Agattu being the heavier of course, as seemingly a clone of the step through one we know. The Pro-Connect is over 4 kilos lighter apparently, though it's main point is to appeal to those like me who prefer a traditional diamond frame devoid of any suspension, hub dynamo etc.

Sep 24, 2007
From talking to 50Cycles and ordering one of the diamond frame Agattus, I understand that what you have said is exactly right. There is quite a price difference too. The Agattu cost me £1195 and 50Cycles mentioned that the Pro-Connect would be around the £1500+ mark. I mentioned that I would want to use a bike for occasional use on light off-road, eg canal paths, riverside paths but not tearing about in muddy woodlands, quarries etc. They said that they thought the Pro-Connect will be more suitable for road use only because of its complete lack of suspension.

C

Cyclezee

Sounds to me like less is more, lose 4Kg and pay £300+ extra:confused:
Where is the logic in that, or is there something really special about the Pro-Connect that I can't see?

John

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The same right through the bike trade, lightweight minimally equipped models costing well above the mainstream. Using ultra light alloys is part of this, and sometimes superior items fitted, like the latest 8 speed Nexus on the Pro-Connect, rather than the old model 7 speed on the Agattu.

Still doesn't account for it though, but pop into any large good bike shop and you'll see the same, bikes with all manner of features up to £500 and minimally equipped lightweights from £1000 to the sky's the limit.

It's just the bike manufacturers pricing model that's always been this way for more than half a century at least. The same is true of cars of course. Is the tarted up Mondeo badged as a Jaguar X type worth the extra, and is a Mercedes 320 worth so much more than that Mondeo. Not really. Like the bikes, they all do the same job.

Last edited: